What made you a Packers fan?

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Green Bay. For 31 years, I lived on the east side of Green Bay, just 4 blocks from old wooden City Stadium, In 1969, I then moved to the Green Bay suburb of DePere , which is 5 south of Lambeau Field. I cannot remember when
I was not a Packer fan.

Since 2005, I attend most of the Packer OTA's, the mini camp practices and Packer Training camp practices. .

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was 6 the first football game that I ever watched was the Packer v Patriots super bowl. The Packers won and when i was 6 I was a frontrunner so I wanted the best team to be my team and I have stuck with them ever since.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a little kid at our house (in Wisconsin) during the sixties, I remember my uncles over (some where Bears fans) watching the Pack with my Dad. Lots of yelling...and Packer victories.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I travelled around Lake Michigan and visited Green Bay, Lambeau Field and The Hall of Fame. (picture attached)
I was always interested in American Sports, but history, tradition and the special atmosphere were impressive and outstanding.
After that I bought me a lot of reading material about Packer history, watched them via NFL Game Pass and ended up this year celebrating the Super Bowl Win at 5.00 a.m. (because of the time difference) and went to work without any sleep ;)
And what makes them special and unique - they are publicy owned!
And if there will be a season 2011 - I will be back for the Game against the Broncos :happy0005:

Attachments

• HOF-K.jpg
    HOF-K.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 487

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dad grew up in Iowa and he chose the Packers as a kid. So it was either Packers or Bears, Dad likes the Pack and Mom likes the Bears, so i went Packers :)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
***Mods, may I suggest making this topic a sticky? It seems to come up often enough. For instance, this has got to be my 5th time posting this story since joining the forum. Not that I'm complaining, at least for the sake of the new members, but I think it would be cool to have a sticky thread where we can all leave our testimonials and maybe even come back and review them when we are feeling nostalgic or we need some faith.

This is how I became a Packer fan. It has everything to do with Reggie White. I started watching him when he played for the Eagles and his passion for the game drew me. He is the reason I learned to love the game of football. When Reggie got traded to the Packers, he took my heart with him all the way to Green Bay. There I became a Packers fan and have remained on ever after Reggie's days on the field passed. There was just something about the Packers that I kind of felt at home with. I am in awe of the team's spirit and how it resonates. I can see why Reggie wanted to play here and end his days here.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I agree with Kitten, either sticky this or make it an easy one to find.

Now, most of you know I am a Vikings fan. However, many of you may not know that the Packers are my second team. I know, some say you can't have a second team. Why a second team? Well I was born and raised in Appleton, 29.2 miles from Lambeau, grew up watching the Packers on TV. But early on I was watching a game against the Vikings and I was into the color purple (although at first our TV was only black and white, learned of the color from the Sunday paper)at the time and the thought of Vikings was pretty cool.(Came from an old Viking movie on TV.) Went to school and got a lot of crap for talking about the Vikings. Which made me just a little different from everyone else, which I liked. So I just kinda rode it out from there.

If the Vikings ever move, I would more then likely become a Packer fan after several years of not following football. Most of my family are Packer fans, my oldest sister even had season tickets for a while with her ex-husband. They are still trying to convert me to the "right" team as they say. When we visit this summer I plan on taking my son to the Packer hall of fame. (I'll let him make up his own mind on which team to follow, as long as it's not he Cowboys or Patriots.)

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I wasn't really interested in the Packers until the 2007 season. Luckily, that was also the year that they went 13-3 and almost went to the Super Bowl. The fact that the Packers dominated had me hooked, and I went into an emotional rollercoaster ride during the playoffs (the high of the Divisional playoffs against the Seahawks, and the low of the NFC Championship against the Giants). I also remember my parents telling me about Packer football in the 90s (such as Antonio Freeman's catch, Super Bowl XXXI and XXXII, the 1993 wild card game against the Lions, the other playoff game against the Lions where we held Barry Sanders to -1 yard, and the NFC Championship losses against the Cowboys). Then, I've learned about the rich history of Packer football in general, such as Lombardi, the Ice Bowl, the 12 (now 13) championships, Don Hutson, Bart Starr, the domination of the 60s, and even the forward pass. Learning about all this made me a Packer fan to the point where I would root for and love no other football team.

Also, I was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Rooting for any other football team than the Packers in that area would be like rooting for Al-Qaeda. :p

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Being raised in Madison Wisconsin might have had a tad to do with it. Growing of age while Vince Lombardi was the coach definitely had a bit to do with it. So, when the only games I could watch were Packers games, and they were the best team going then, I kind of got spoiled.

Living 13 years 40 miles west of Chicago never changed me. And now I'm finally out of there,

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Born & have lived in Wisconsin my whole life. Not even a question what team I was going to follow!

Same here. It was just part of growing up. I can remember going to inter-squad scrimmage when Starr, Hornung, Nitshke were on board. I was 5 at the most but still remember it. It was also memorable because we got to stop at McDonalds on the way home. LOL Members of the team used to stop at the local tavern in the small town where I grew up (Clintonville). Times were simplier then. Alas...

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone from Minnesota I knew growing up in Central Iowa and then again in my 20's when I moved back from South Dakota to NW Iowa are all ********. Pompous, self-righteous, arrogant ********!
Everyone in the 70's in Iowa was either a Cowboys fan or a Steelers fan. I had an Uncle I liked as a kid that was a Packers fan, so that pretty much sealed it! Wise Choice!

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never lived in Wisconsin, so I am constantly criticized by Pittsburghers for my choice of the Packers. When I got into football, the first game I ever watched was the 1994 AFC Championship Game, and I cheered for the hometown Steelers, who lost to the Chargers. After that game, everyone in my family was so disgusted over the Steelers loss.

At the time I had collected all the mini-helmets out of gumball machines of all the NFL teams, and I lined up 5 helmets of teams that I wanted to choose from for my new favorite team: L.A. Raiders, L.A. Rams, Packers, Jets and Steelers. And I'll only say this here, but I had a dated book about great defensive ends, and one showed the Jets' Joe Klecko sacking the Packers' Lynn ****ey. For whatever reason, I felt bad for the Packers getting sacked, so I chose them. (The Jets were my "2nd favorite" team for the offseason, until my first game as a Packers fan in 1995, when I no longer cared about "2nd favorite"s.)

My choice of the Packers has led to persecution of the highest degree, to the point of losing friends. And it's also led to the most memorable moments in my life. I can't imagine life without being a Packers fan. It's so ingrained in me, something no one can change.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I've never lived in Wisconsin, so I am constantly criticized by Pittsburghers for my choice of the Packers. When I got into football, the first game I ever watched was the 1994 AFC Championship Game, and I cheered for the hometown Steelers, who lost to the Chargers. After that game, everyone in my family was so disgusted over the Steelers loss.

At the time I had collected all the mini-helmets out of gumball machines of all the NFL teams, and I lined up 5 helmets of teams that I wanted to choose from for my new favorite team: L.A. Raiders, L.A. Rams, Packers, Jets and Steelers. And I'll only say this here, but I had a dated book about great defensive ends, and one showed the Jets' Joe Klecko sacking the Packers' Lynn ****ey. For whatever reason, I felt bad for the Packers getting sacked, so I chose them. (The Jets were my "2nd favorite" team for the offseason, until my first game as a Packers fan in 1995, when I no longer cared about "2nd favorite"s.)

My choice of the Packers has led to persecution of the highest degree, to the point of losing friends. And it's also led to the most memorable moments in my life. I can't imagine life without being a Packers fan. It's so ingrained in me, something no one can change.

5 stars for sure for the most unique way of becoming a fan!!!
Love it!!!! The best part is that you stuck with us despite the highest persecution,..which in my book makes a bonafide fan to the umpteenth degree! (not that i'm a judge in such matters!)

Love the story regardless!!! My love for the Pack is so ingrained in me as well, that regardless of the stats of the past 40 yrs that I can recall hearing the winnings and losing...they will ALWAYS be my team, regardless of any stats!

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone from Minnesota I knew growing up in Central Iowa and then again in my 20's when I moved back from South Dakota to NW Iowa are all ********. Pompous, self-righteous, arrogant ********!
Everyone in the 70's in Iowa was either a Cowboys fan or a Steelers fan. I had an Uncle I liked as a kid that was a Packers fan, so that pretty much sealed it! Wise Choice!
I got so much crap for wearing my packers coat when I was a kid, it made me become the toughest MMA fighter this side of the pecos!

Pack Rat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my first post on Packer Forum. What made me a Packers fan? Like many of you I grew up in the great state of Wisconsin. I like to tell people out here in Oregon (where I currently live) that I cut my teeth on cheese and that if you call me a Cheesehead that's one of the greatest compliments you can offer me! I remember in Middle School, me and a group of my friends would go to the library to "study," but instead we would open up the Milwaukee Journal (before it had Sentinel attached to it) and go straight to the Sports page so we could look at the Standings and talk Packers football! We never got much studying done, but we sure loved talking about the Pack! I have never dropped my loyalty to the Packers, even after 30+ years of living here in Oregon! Oddly enough though, my younger brother grew up a Minnesota Vikings fan!!! I think he must have been dropped on his head as a kid! If not, he should have been!

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....birth

Both parents are Cheeseheads
Then I grew up 90 min North of GB....
Have been going to AT LEAST 1 game a season for the last 15 years....
Last years game was the SNF game Vs the Vikes in GB that came down to the last play.
This years game will be my first Packers away game ( vs NYG )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts