What it takes to play in the NFL...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I get a kick out of all of the internet tough guys who haven't a clue what it takes to make it to the final cuts let alone to play in the NFL. You can always spot them a mile away with their:

Fergy sucks cut him, Carroll sucks cut him, Martin sucks cut him, Horton sucks cut him, fill in the blank sucks cut him...

Well guess what? -- quality WR, CB and TE do not grow on trees. Most teams stuggle to find players who can consistently deliver at these positions -- especially when you start talking depth.

A great example can be found from last year's squad in Paris Lenon. Forums were filled with Lenon sucks cut him chants.

What everyone seemed to forget is he was a great example of a guy who work his *** off and come out of nowhere to achieve a dream on making an NFL roster. Granted Lenon will never be a pro bowl player, but any one with any sight and sense could recognize that he was at minimum a solid backup at all three positions and a great special teams contributor.

When Detroit signed him as a free agent, many declared that he was a joke and did not belong in the NFL.

Well, guess who is the starting SAM LB in Detroit? -- that is right, Paris Lenon.

I don't want people to misunderstand my point -- I am all in favor of upgrading the talent level of every position and hope to see even my favorite players unseated because it would mean the team is improving.

But perhaps it would be wise to reflect for a minute what it takes to make it under such intense competition and against such long odds before the next time you are tempted to call one of these players Bums, punks... or declaring they suck. Because it is far more telling of you than of the players you are referring to.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember Goodman. Whisper they called him I think. Sorry if my memory isn't the greatest. Herbert "Whisper" Goodman and he was a RB.

I played at a 4 and 4 flag football tourney I think 4 or 5 years back. Yes it's flag football but the guy was INSANE.

Here's an example and I just remember watching and going "whoa"

Goodman catches a screen, completely jukes a guy out of his shoes and as he's heading for a TD he slows down to give the guy a chance to get his flag and turns around and starts to back pedal. Goodman just spins around this poor guy and he falls on his but and Goodman scores.

Yes it's flag but here was a guy who looked amazing. A year ago he was released by the Packers in the final cut downs.

So making the NFL is probably one of the hardest things to do. It's definitely one of the hardest sports to play and requires intense training and you pretty much have to dedicate your life to it.

None of these guys "suck" at football. Some just can't get it done in the NFL but a lot of these guys probably looked like STUDS at their High Schools. In fact everyone probably did.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Remember Goodman. Whisper they called him I think. Sorry if my memory isn't the greatest. Herbert "Whisper" Goodman and he was a RB.

I played at a 4 and 4 flag football tourney I think 4 or 5 years back. Yes it's flag football but the guy was INSANE.

Here's an example and I just remember watching and going "whoa"

Goodman catches a screen, completely jukes a guy out of his shoes and as he's heading for a TD he slows down to give the guy a chance to get his flag and turns around and starts to back pedal. Goodman just spins around this poor guy and he falls on his but and Goodman scores.

Yes it's flag but here was a guy who looked amazing. A year ago he was released by the Packers in the final cut downs.

So making the NFL is probably one of the hardest things to do. It's definitely one of the hardest sports to play and requires intense training and you pretty much have to dedicate your life to it.

None of these guys "suck" at football. Some just can't get it done in the NFL but a lot of these guys probably looked like STUDS at their High Schools. In fact everyone probably did.

Thanks for the story Porky!

Another great example from last season can be found with Antonio Chatman. There were not only plenty of Antonio sucks cat calls, but some lauded the brilliance of Ted Thompson for unburdening the Packers of this "no-talent" bum

A funny thing though, Antonio not only made another teams 53 man roster, it was a team that went to the playoffs last season, handed the Packers their ***** last Monday night and are one of the favorites heading into the 2006 seasson.

Yeah, he wasn't good enough for the mighty 4 - 12 Packers, but Cinncinati quickly hires him as soon as he became available.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from, and to a point I agree. I played tackle with a semi-pro guy once and he was waaaay better than I was. I had no idea just how good semi-pro people were because I was awesome in high school. It's night and day.

However, should we be allowed to dog players? I say "h*ll yeah," and this is why...

Let's say you're a software designer. You write a program. You know waaaay more about computers than the user of the program. The user uses the program and it blows up his machine.

Now, the user goes to complain about it and you immediately shoot him down, saying "you know what it's like to write software? Of course you don't. You can't handle it! You're just a stupid user, a mere mortal, and have no business whatsoever criticizing my work."

Just because we're fans and not players doesn't mean we can't dog players who suck compared to the better players. I think most intelligent fans know that even those who suck in the NFL are waaay better than we are.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
I agree Bruce people need to stop telling us to cut mostly quality backuo players like fergy

Ferguson as a starter, no.
Ferguson as a backup, I like.

I am hoping this year he's over his short arming balls crap and shows some fight for the ball. Last year was his first year after nearly being decapituated. I could understand some hestiation after that.

However, this is a new year. It's been over a year now. He has to be 100% over that hit by now and the injury.

As a backup WR I think Ferguson excells. He's a great leader in the locker room (per Driver and Jennings who Greg also said Fergie told him things he never would have picked up if he didnt) and he is a good special teams player.

I think with Driver, Jennings and Ferguson the Packers have a formidable top trio of WR. Top 7 in the league perhaps.

Zhit I'm excited just thinking about the Passing game. Ahman is back too. :confused: I can't wait!!

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Zero, I have to disagree with you on that one.

I'd be excited if the Packers had another proven vet at WR like Eric Moulds or Keyshawn or someone like that.

It scares me going into the season with yet another rookie and Ferguson at WR.

Bruce, the reason I said Ferguson sucks is because I think Brett Favre deserves a better receiving corps than he currently has. Obviously the guy has to have talent to make it in the NFL, but just not enough to make me happy that he's the 2nd/3rd guy on the Packers right now. Maybe if we had a good vet in front of him at #2, I wouldn't feel so bad. But based on his performance as of late, yeah I do.

(And I do understand what it takes to make it in the pros. I was pursued by college recruiters and may have had a shot at the bigs, but didn't go that route. It takes alot of talent, dedication, commitment, and luck!)

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, nice post.

Your point goes to what I've been trying to say about this season that so many seem to want to ignore...that is we have a quality core of players like Harris, Woodson, Barnett, KGB, Clifton, Tauscher, Franks, Driver, Favre, Henderson and Green and because of that we shouldn't just write the season off. You're right; these guys don't grow on trees either and will not be easily replaced no matter how underachieving you believe them to be. KGB takes a lot of hits because of the money he makes, but look how long they been trying to replace Reggie let alone KGB.

The point is they need to strike while the kettle is "somewhat" hot. Sure they've been on the decline and they still have a number of positions that could be upgraded, but why not try and improve the OL instead of setteling for a bunch of rookies who clearly aren't ready and let the chips fall where they may?? At least give these vets 1/2 a chance to compete for an 8-8 season.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 1,800 players in the N.F.L.

That means there are 1,800 last cuts.

Think of that... 1,800 guys who got that close to their dream and could not grasp it.

I admire all of them.

But then again I admire anyone that is better than me at anything.

R.P.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't agree go see Invincible. I always like it especially when the little guys like Chatman make it. Anyone who trashed him is half the pound for pound warrior he was. Right about now I wouldn't mind him as our returner

Members online

Latest posts