1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What is RPI

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by yooperfan, Mar 8, 2005.

1. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was listening to Sports Talk radio and when discussing what teams should get in to the NCAA tournament they kept refering to what a teams RPI was.
    Can anyone tell me what they are talking about?

2. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    it's basicly a standard formula to determine the strength of a teams schedule, it stands for rating percentage index.

here's a broad view of how it works:

The basic formula is 25% team winning percentage (WP), 50% opponents' average winning percentage (OWP), and 25% opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (OOWP).
    For the 2004-05 season, the formula was changed to give more weight to road wins vs home wins. A team's win total for RPI purposes is 1.4 * road wins + neutral site wins + 0.6 * home wins. A team's losses is calculated as 0.6 * road losses + neutral site losses + 1.4 * home losses.

For example, a team that is 4-0 at home and 2-7 on the road has a RPI record of 5.2 wins (1.4 * 2 + 0.6 * 4) and 4.2 losses (0.6 * 7). That means that even though it is 6-7, for RPI purposes, it is above .500 (5.2-4.2).

As always, only games against Division I opponents count in the RPI.

3. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Arrow!

4. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    anytime my man...

5. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    arrowgargantuan -glad to see you & Mackie over on this Packer Forum quite a bite different than "Packer Prattle" on P.G. Packer forum. I was really impressed when I came over here. I think you & Mackie are two of the more knowledgeable Packer Fans on the Packer prattle forum. Keep up the good Postings!!

6. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    thanks PWT...but to be honest, there are quite a few regular posters here that are much more familiar with the Pack than me. i've learned so much lurking around both forums my head hurts...but i've always been a huge fan of the game so i think anybody who is should feel obligated to contribute their opinion...here here.

7. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    That's one of the main reasons I keep coming back - at first we saw RYAN post a few legendary comments - but he's drifted away lately...

This "is" one of the better postings, since I've always wondered how that mathematical equation worked.... My math score in college was 4.0 - so calculus and I are pretty good friends.

Question - is this the same rating we see in the paper everyday during the Season? Them damn things irritate me to no end!

8. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Couple more weeks left of school. Then I will be here more often. I lurk on my own forum sometimes :) Been so busy with finishing college that I haven't had much time to actually contribute. I just make sure the servers are running correctly so you cats can still chat on here and I'm on my merry way. Once things die down and the season gets closer, hopefully it will get busier here.