What if??

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a big "if" and we cannot keep crossing our fingers and hoping that happens. We have major injuries every single year, especially on defense, including our best player, Matthews. I would love to see them healthy but I'm not counting on it. Without a doubt, we need to shore up the middle of our defense, our ILBs and Safeties. We can get by with Hawk and Burnett (at SS) but we need to address FS even if Hyde makes the move because we have no depth at all there. Banjo is not the answer, he made the team simply because we had no other options. I'd rather get a FS in rounds 1, 2 or 3 and have Hyde as a security blanket and allow him to keep moving around and play multiple positions.

As for ILB, we need to replace Jones, plain and simple. He is horrible against the run, makes no plays in coverage and looks lost most of the time. He has zero instincts for the position, which is probably why he was not an inside backer in college or in the pros up to a year or two ago. We chose not to address this position in FA so it has to be done in the draft with a guy like Mosley, Shazier or even a Borland/Skov type if necessary.

Building on that, I agree with other posts about a deep WR class this year. I do not see the need to take a WR in the first round because the WRs in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, IMO, offer as much talent. We could get a WR with one of 3rd rd picks and/or in the 4th and adequately address our need. As for TE, I think we need to be careful about overreaching for someone and do not see it as being as big of a need as most people. To me, we can get to the Super Bowl with Quarless as our starting TE, we cannot get to the Super Bowl with Brad Jones at ILB and/or a failed-Hyde experiment at FS with Chris Banjo in the on-deck circle or some 5th-6th round pick.
You're pretty much spot on. Yeah Hyde might be a good S, but we need depth too. Need a major upgrade at ILB, Jones is not starter material. But I disagree on TE. We need a playmaker there. Ideally, address ILB in the first round with Mosley or Shazier, get a TE in the 2nd round, a S and WR in round 3. I think if they upgrade at ILB, they won't need a superstar at S, and may be able to get Brooks from Fla St in round 3, if he's still around.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a great pocket passer as well.

Wilson takes the most time to throw the football in the league, but he´s not the top ranked QB in time until he´s sacked nor until he scrambles.

I have a PFF account as well, but can´t find those stats you´re talking about here.

It's for Premium Members: " Quarterback Time in the Pocket": https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/
I just noticed the numbers I quoted were from Nov. 2012, where Wilson was no. 1 in time to throw and in time to be sacked. I don't have the Premium Package at PFF, but I doubt much changed last year; I would think he's in the top 2 or 3. It's just a matter of time before Wilson gets knocked out of a game, and maybe longer, if he continues to run as much.

Pass Blocking by Time to Throw is here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/21/pass-blocking-by-time-to-throw/ and the date of those stats is 4/2014.

We agree Rogers is a great QB. We're a very good team with him; we're an average or below average team without him. So I think protecting him is the no. 1 priority for the team, and will be until he retires. The Packers could do a better job at it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You're pretty much spot on. Yeah Hyde might be a good S, but we need depth too. Need a major upgrade at ILB, Jones is not starter material. But I disagree on TE. We need a playmaker there. Ideally, address ILB in the first round with Mosley or Shazier, get a TE in the 2nd round, a S and WR in round 3. I think if they upgrade at ILB, they won't need a superstar at S, and may be able to get Brooks from Fla St in round 3, if he's still around.
Did you make these draft ratings yourself, or have you just not looked at them in a few months?

D

Deleted member 6794

It's for Premium Members: " Quarterback Time in the Pocket": https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/
I just noticed the numbers I quoted were from Nov. 2012, where Wilson was no. 1 in time to throw and in time to be sacked. I don't have the Premium Package at PFF, but I doubt much changed last year; I would think he's in the top 2 or 3. It's just a matter of time before Wilson gets knocked out of a game, and maybe longer, if he continues to run as much.

I´ve got the premium package at PFF, last year Wilson was ranked 2nd in time to throw and 12th in time to be sacked.

Pass Blocking by Time to Throw is here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/21/pass-blocking-by-time-to-throw/ and the date of those stats is 4/2014.

We agree Rogers is a great QB. We're a very good team with him; we're an average or below average team without him. So I think protecting him is the no. 1 priority for the team, and will be until he retires. The Packers could do a better job at it.

That´s an interesting article as they don´t offer that stat in the premium package. Not surprising Sitton is the only Packers OL ranked in the top 10. I agree the overall pass protection has to improve, Lang is a decent RG though (ranked 15th by PFF in the league last year).

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about this situation? How would you feel if we had the same type of draft as last year. Kind of far fetched but it could happen. Replace our running back selections with tight end and receiver and it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

How about this situation? How would you feel if we had the same type of draft as last year. Kind of far fetched but it could happen. Replace our running back selections with tight end and receiver and it's possible.

I think I would go crazy if Thompson once again ignores the safety position in the draft. ;)

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I would go crazy if Thompson once again ignores the safety position in the draft. ;)

What scares me is there's always a reason to ignore it. Last year it was confidence in Burnett and this year it's confidence in Hyde. I don't know how he's gonna draft but this is gonna be an angry forum if he waits until 5,6,7 round to address the safety need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts