what if Tony Romo became a Packer?

Bridcarper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sport is full of 'what ifs' and 'if onlys'. Romo has certainly picked up the pace this season - but he has been mostly disappointing in years gone by. I for one are so pleased we have got Aaron as our quarter-back. I don't think Romo would have surpassed Rodgers' achievements if things had been different. Can't wait for Sunday evening. It's gonna be good.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any reason that Romo couldn't have been as great as Rodgers had they switched bodies. That said, I really don't care. They made a deal out of Favre vs Romo back in the day too. I view it plainly as just the opposing quarterback playing against his hometown team - nothing more, nothing less.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sport is full of 'what ifs' and 'if onlys'. Romo has certainly picked up the pace this season - but he has been mostly disappointing in years gone by. I for one are so pleased we have got Aaron as our quarter-back. I don't think Romo would have surpassed Rodgers' achievements if things had been different. Can't wait for Sunday evening. It's gonna be good.

IMHO Romo has often unfairly been the scapegoat for significant dysfunction within that organization. Had he been a Packer he would likely have a much better reputation in the league.

DoctorChicken

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO Romo has often unfairly been the scapegoat for significant dysfunction within that organization. Had he been a Packer he would likely have a much better reputation in the league.

That is correct. This is a kid who went undrafted and we almost cut. He was a side-arm passer coming out of college with weird mechanics. He fought for the right to be where he is now.

Romo, up until this season, was the most underrated QB in the league.

Romo would certainly have more success if he was a Packer, just because he would be surrounded by better people.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is correct. This is a kid who went undrafted and we almost cut. He was a side-arm passer coming out of college with weird mechanics. He fought for the right to be where he is now.

Romo would certainly have more success if he was a Packer, just because he would be surrounded by better people.

I remember that playoff game against the Giants following the 2007 season, the Jessica Simpson distraction. During the game I remember Romo playing well if not great and the rest of the team playing in a very sloppy manner. There must have 3-4 passes that would have been huge plays had they not been dropped, but at the end of the day the press was fixated on Romo. This Packer fan is not sure how much more a quarterback can do beyond hitting his receivers in the hands.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Totally agree with that. Unfortunate that his prime was kind of wasted. Hard to believe he's like 35 already.

What are you opinions as a Cowboys fan on Jerry Jones' role within the organization?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with that. Unfortunate that his prime was kind of wasted. Hard to believe he's like 35 already.

What are you opinions as a Cowboys fan on Jerry Jones' role within the organization?

I'm guessing; Got Strippers? Or how about got Coke?

DoctorChicken

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It seems as if Jerry's role has lessened, even if he doesn't want to admit it. Will McClay and Garrett seem to be making most of the player and personnel decisions.

After the 3rd 8-8 season where Jerry decided who the OC and DC is, Jason finally convinced Jerry to let him hire his own staff. So he hired Linehan, a good friend of his, as his OC and promoted Marinelli to DC, and whoop de do, it's working. Linehan and Romo especially seem to have a perfect connection, and Romo has never been so efficient.

Back in May, I'm sure Jerry would have loved to draft Manziel. Jethro even said that "OGs are the types of picks that get you to 8-8". But Garrett and McClay reasoned with him. And it's all working.

So basically, Jerry gets to pretend he's a GM while Will McClay does the GM stuff.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems as if Jerry's role has lessened, even if he doesn't want to admit it. Will McClay and Garrett seem to be making most of the player and personnel decisions.

After the 3rd 8-8 season where Jerry decided who the OC and DC is, Jason finally convinced Jerry to let him hire his own staff. So he hired Linehan, a good friend of his, as his OC and promoted Marinelli to DC, and whoop de do, it's working. Linehan and Romo especially seem to have a perfect connection, and Romo has never been so efficient.

Back in May, I'm sure Jerry would have loved to draft Manziel. Jethro even said that "OGs are the types of picks that get you to 8-8". But Garrett and McClay reasoned with him. And it's all working.

So basically, Jerry gets to pretend he's a GM while Will McClay does the GM stuff.

Good God, if the Cowboys had drafted Manziel, what an utter disaster that would have been. I believe your right too, Jerruh probably would have liked to draft him. The Packers would be playing the Philadelphia Eagles right now. . . or the Carolina Panthers because the Cowboys probably wouldn't be sniffing the playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm quite pleased Romo never became a Packer.....had he, we would not have drafted Rodgers. I consider Rodgers a far superior QB over Romo. Romo is a lot like Stafford and Cutler, has the tools but not consistent enough with them or his decisions.

DoctorChicken

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm quite pleased Romo never became a Packer.....had he, we would not have drafted Rodgers. I consider Rodgers a far superior QB over Romo. Romo is a lot like Stafford and Cutler, has the tools but not consistent enough with them or his decisions.

Rodgers fell into our laps in the draft. Some people wanted to take him because we didn't quite know what we had in Romo yet.

Tony Romo has always been consistently good, and I can assure you he is 100,000,000x the QB Cutler and Stafford are.

H

HardRightEdge

McGinn notes the following:

"Favre, 34 at the time, was backed up by veteran Doug Pederson and Craig Nall, a fifth-round pick in 2002. The Packers were eager to draft Favre's heir apparent in the first round, but when four quarterbacks were taken before their No. 29 selection, they drafted other positions."

In yesterday's podcast McGinn elaborated on this point. The four QBs in question were Palmer (who went #1), Leftwich, Boller and Grossman. McGinn says that had any one of them been on the board there's a good chance the Packers would have drafted him. Further, McGinn notes that Favre's passer rating in the second half of 2002 had dropped to 65 and that he had already made some initial mumbling about retirement.

So the counterfactuals go beyond just Romo. Had Leftwich, Boller or Grossman dropped to the Packers in 2003, there might not be a Rodgers.

Fast forward 2 years to the 2005 draft. Favre is now 36 and the retirement mumblings are now rumblings.

Many deny the need component of the Rodgers pick; it remains difficult seeing that pick as anything other than need meeting opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers fell into our laps in the draft. Some people wanted to take him because we didn't quite know what we had in Romo yet.

Tony Romo has always been consistently good, and I can assure you he is 100,000,000x the QB Cutler and Stafford are.

I agree with you, Romo has been "good", just not "great". This is what separates him from Rodgers. As far as Rodgers "falling into the Cowboys laps" not sure what you mean?? Is this like having a hot blonde walk by you at a party, you are too drunk to notice her and she moves on to the next guy and he takes her home and has years of blissful fun with her?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is so blatantly apparent that some of you have no clue about football outside of what happens in Green Bay. Tony Romo is not a bad quarterback at all to even put him in the same category as cutler is pathetic and shows a complete lack of intelligence. Here's a question for you name all of the quarterbacks in the NFL that have a higher career passer rating than Tony Romo. I'll give you a hint you can use one finger to count them.

Tony Romo has basically never been the problem for the Dallas Cowboys Jerry Jones has been the problem for the Dallas Cowboys.

Kimbo Blubbeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an objective Cowboy fan who's seen a lot of Tony Romo, here's my view on him....

He's been great and we're lucky to have him as long as we have. I've never really been one of the people that said they should replace him considering how hard it is to get a top 10 QB in the NFL, which he's been throughout his career. He isn't Rodgers, Brady, Manning to where he can singlehandedly take a team deep into the postseason, but if you were to give him a great team around him, he'd be able to make some noise.

Early on his main struggles were just throwing the ball away, not taking a sack/stupid INT, and living for the next play...hence the comparisons to Favre. This year he's been great but he has had some games where he's looked terrible and completely off with his receivers during his career. I would say him and Phillip Rivers are pretty similar in skill.

Also, he's had many games (too many to count really) where he's led a great comeback only to have the defense blow it or fail to get him the ball and give him a chance for a comeback drive. The Wade Phillips era was notorious for having a defense that put up great sack numbers, but when it was time to get the big stop it never happened.

Ironically this year's defense is not great but they have consistently gotten game winning stops even after looking putrid for most of the game.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo's legacy may hinge on what he does in these playoffs. Next year isn't guaranteed in this day and age of NFL parity. Not to mention, Romo is in his mid 30s now and has back problems. Hes always one bad sack away from being out several games in a row. Romo honestly doesn't have a lot of time left.

So if Dallas does lose to Green Bay Sunday (and the possibilities of that happening are great) then Romo's legacy stays status quo until he can take Dallas to the Super Bowl. But who knows when that will happen with Tony Romo after this year. With his bad back and him aging, his career could be on the downward slope starting next season. Not to mention, you can't expect Dallas to overachieve again. What Dallas is doing right now, with the lack of talent across the board on defense, is something that happens once in a blue moon. This Cowboys team reminds me of that Jacksonville Jaguars team that lost in the AFCCG to Denver back in the 90s. They won with scrubs and castoffs on defense much like this Cowboy team is doing.

So Tony Romo better grasp the moment. His whole legacy may hinge on what he does in these playoffs. It might be his last chance to do so.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
It is so blatantly apparent that some of you have no clue about football outside of what happens in Green Bay. Tony Romo is not a bad quarterback at all to even put him in the same category as cutler is pathetic and shows a complete lack of intelligence. Here's a question for you name all of the quarterbacks in the NFL that have a higher career passer rating than Tony Romo. I'll give you a hint you can use one finger to count them.

Tony Romo has basically never been the problem for the Dallas Cowboys Jerry Jones has been the problem for the Dallas Cowboys.
The Cowboys have been able to win the SB multiple times with Jones at the helm but none with Romo at QB -- although according to you that's not been the problem. So, what is the problem?

Kimbo Blubbeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been able to win the SB multiple times with Jones at the helm but none with Romo at QB -- although according to you that's not been the problem. So, what is the problem?

First of all, this is not the same Jerry Jones that was there when we were winning championships in the 90's.

Jerry got jealous that Jimmy Johnson was getting a lot of the credit, tried to make it apparent that he was the one who was responsible for success, and then Johnson decided to high tail it. Same thing with Parcells who didn't want T.O. but JJ was hellbent on getting him here.

Jerry Jones has the dubious honor of running off Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Parcells.

Sky King

Reaction score
First of all, this is not the same Jerry Jones that was there when we were winning championships in the 90's.

Jerry got jealous that Jimmy Johnson was getting a lot of the credit, tried to make it apparent that he was the one who was responsible for success, and then Johnson decided to high tail it. Same thing with Parcells who didn't want T.O. but JJ was hellbent on getting him here.

Jerry Jones has the dubious honor of running off Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Parcells.
Well, that's all good to know. Does that mean that this year's team is not really all that good since JJ is still in charge? But if it is good then who's responsible if Jones is really the problem?

Members online

Latest posts