1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What if it was a Packers player?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Forget Favre, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Suppose it was a team member of the Packers who was the first open gay NFL player who came out of the closet?
    Be honest.
    How would you feel about that?
    I'd be like, "Yeah, whatever. Good for you. Now let's get back to the game," and continue to cheer him on.
    You?

I don't consider myself homophobic.
    I also don't see a reason to take up gay causes.
    It's their battles, let them fight them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +480
    NO--- I would not feel good for you.

3. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I AM homophobic and I wouldn care, so long as he plays like a bear and not a fairy. He can full on Tarrell Davis in drag out of the locker room and hold a press conference to talk about pumps so long as he plays solid. So long as he helps the team, even if he's just a back up, I'll call him a hero and treat him better than family. If he sucks, I still won't care that he's gay, I'll want him gone solely based on his play a la Pat Lee.

Example: I wanted Cooper cut. Not because he's a racist, just because he sucks. In the end, play is all that matters to me.

Before I get lit up on here for political/moral reasons, I have gay friends, I disagree with their lifestyle, but I'm not disassociating from a friend or distancing myself from a potential friend for something that doesn't directly affect me in any way whatsoever. Am I uncomfortable around homosexuals? A little bit at first (yes that includes lesbians, not just gay men) but that comes from a trauma I suffered in my youth that I just never got over, and I shake it off pretty quick. Yes I am a terrible person, but I'm OK with that, even if you're not. I'm a terrible person remember? Terrible people don't care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. DoubleC4

DoubleC4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    This is actually a very interesting question that I have never once thought about. Also, one that is a topic that will cause heated debates. Anyway, as long as he doesn't make the fact of him coming out of the closet a huge media circus to gain publicity and shows heart on the field, I could care less. He doesn't even have to be one of the best players, just him showing his beliefs and playing hard is good enough for me. I think the way the Packers are structured within their locker room and management it wouldn't be as publicized as if the player were playing for a higher market team, such as the Jets or Giants. I believe in people saying what they believe, rather they agree with homosexuality or not, they have the right to agree or disagree with it, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  5. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't this be more of an Atrium question? I feel that you aren't going to get a completely honest effort in this thread whichever forum that it goes in. Today, more than ever, you are seeing a fear of making strong statements (whether it be blatantly offensive- a good thing or its just a strong opinion/personally held conviction- a bad thing) in a public manner. Look at how other members of society have been crucified for their views on hot button topics. Paula Dean and Zimmerman are two great examples. It is not enough to point out the wrongs and perceived wrongs and admonish. Society's evil underbelly will rise up and finish you off if you don't somehow conform to what you should have been conforming to and now you're subject to punishment to hell 10 times over.

As to a short answer to the ? in thread title post, i wouldn't be in favor of it. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    Truthfully, I don't have the time nor am I willing to expend the energy necessary to develop an opinion on this topic.

I don't give a rat's behind about somebody else's religious convictions ... political preferences ... or who they hit the rack with.

I do wish that the types of persons who choose to make their religious convictions, political preferences and sexual orientation a matter of public discussion would just flippin' go away. I have the innate ability to dial my level of disinterest up or down at a moments notice.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Apathy is alive and well. Gotta love it ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    Nah...it's not apathetic when one makes a conscious decision to NOT give a crap about a 'nothing' issue.

9. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A 'nothing' issue in your mind and there are others that do agree, however, my point is that you aren't going to see a true reflection of others ideas and thoughts due to the reasons stated in my earlier reply.

Case in point on another big issue when it came time for the election for Wisconsin's Governor a couple years ago. How many current Green Bay Packer union members came out in public support for their counterparts working for the state?

To speak ones mind today comes at a cost, a cost whether it be a like on a social network or $$$ from the bottom line. I think many are unlike you and actually have a more passionate opinion whether it pro or con and they just don't want to bother with the cost that will come with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    "Homophobia" is a term made up for political reasons, but aside from questioning the motives of someone who has to make a sideshow out of their bedroom behavior, who cares?

Shouldn't this be in "The Atrium"?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,812
    My only concern would be how it affects the locker room.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +304
    I moved this thread to the appropriate forum. But I want to make sure this thread remains a "discussion" and doesn't turn into personal attacks or a political discussion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Isn't it a political discussion from the start? The whole notion of having a topic like this to begin with reeks of baiting.

14. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Honestly, I don't think you're a terrible person for having views that aren't pro-homosexuality. It's not like you're going all Westboro Baptist Church on homosexuals, so I wouldn't consider someone who doesn't actively support or promote the gay lifestyle a terrible person. For what it's worth, I don't personally have an issue with gays, or gay rights. I am, however, tired of the issue being force fed down my throat everywhere I turn. I don't think that makes me a terrible person.

As for the OP, if an openly gay player happened to come out while he was a member of the Packers, I like to think I wouldn't care one way or the other, and would treat him like any other player- show up, do your job, don't cause problems or be a distraction, and we'll be fine. Anything less than that, and we'll have problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    ....and you see, that is my point. No offense intended but I'm a pretty intelligent person. Studied hard. Picked up a couple of degrees; score pretty highly in those things that are commonly referred to as IQ tests, did well on my ACT's and SAT's ... always cleared the table when it was my turn ... honestly, I just don't have a need for anyone to tell me what should matter to me. That's all.

I really just do not care what consenting adults do behind closed doors. Now when they choose to publicly pronounce their preference and it affects my day-to-day somehow, then it becomes an issue that I need to address - and I have and I will.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +384
    I would accept him as a team mate & as long as he gives it his all when on the field & doesn't approach me in a sexual way we're good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    :confused:

:tdown:

?

18. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    I think there is a very strong current of homophobia within the NFL.
    I would be shocked if a present NFL player comes out of the closet this season or even within the next couple of years.
    Things change and maybe it would happen. But I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

There have been gay NFL players but they usually wait until after retirement to announce it.
    The only sports I am aware of where gay men announced while still playing is boxing and basketball.

19. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    And it would affect it... see ForgetFavre's post a few after yours..... he's right.
    That's why none of the fruitcakes have come out currently playing, and you know there are some in there who are gay.

Whether it's Esera Tuaolo or Aaron Rodgers, I'd rather not know and rather the locker room not know.
    Afterwards, let the cat out of the bag.

By the way, we've all probably heard the rumors on TThompson, and perhaps some about Rodgers.
    I heard from my best friend a few years ago, who is friends with Steve Hutchinson, Heath Farwell, and Jared Allen... he said Hutchinson said "everyone knows" Rodgers was gay.
    I dismissed this as BS, and that it came from Favre and his jealousy of Rodgers. This was 2009 when Favre and all those guys were there..... haven't heard anything like this since, and Hutch has retired, and Farwell is in Seattle.

20. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    I would make it mandatory that "if" one of the packers was gay, his nickname becomes "The Fudge"

21. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Hahahahaha.......only you could say that :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1