What I'd like to see...

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if this is being rehashed, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to see:

The Packers finish on a strong note with a nice winning streak and end up 6-10. Looking at their schedule I think it's entirely possible, even with Chicago and Seattle. The Packers have been in every game this year, and I think they can pull it off. This will give them momentum heading into next season and a nice building block for 2006. Also, that will still net a draft pick around 9-12. Even if we lost last week, and every remaining game, I don't believe we would've have a shot at Bush because Houston has already decided that they'd rather have that than a little pride or integrity. <Small Tangent> I am so proud of the Packers for giving it their all the entire season. Like or not, you've got to credit Sherman at least a little for that. </tangent> With our first pick, if we can get a Defensive stud like A.J. Hawk, I wouldn't mind that - or the more likely scenario, we trade down a bit and get a few more picks in the first 3 rounds.

Honestly, I don't think this team is as far away from being a contender as most of the media thinks. With all of the injuries and turmoil involved with a first year GM, I think the Packers have actually played pretty well - particularly on defense. That may sound ridiculous with the team being 3-10, but you can't honestly tell me guys like Javon Walker wouldn't have made a huge difference in all those 1,2, and 3 point games. If you look back at the season, it's not that far fetched to say they could be 9-4 right now. Call me crazy, but if the breaks fell their way instead of going against them, I think a case could be made that the season could have very easily gone this way:

1 - Detroit - (lost 17-3) Loss
2 - Cleveland - (lost 26-24) Win
3 - Tampa - (lost 17-16) Win
4 - Carolina - (lost 32-29) Win
5 - New Orleans (won 52-3) Win
7 - Minnesota (lost 23-20) Win
8 - Cincinatti (lost 21-14) Loss
9 - Pittsburgh (lost 20-10) Loss
10 - Atlanta (won 33-25) Win
11 - Minnesota (lost 20-17) Win
12 - Philadelphia (lost 19-14) Win
13 - Chicago (lost 19-7) Loss
14 - Detroit (won 16-13) Win

I know, I know - coulda woulda shoulda. You can make a case that we could've (or should've) lost the Detroit game and be 2-11. Or you could even make cases in games that I still chalked up as losses (Cincy, Pitt, even Chicago) to say we could've won, but I think this scenario is pretty realistic considering how all of those games played out. You put a healthy Javon, Ahman, TMurphy, Franks, etc. in all those games and you've got a Favre that isn't pressing as much.

In any case, we get these guys back healthy next year - build on our defense (whether it's through free agency or the draft) and solidify our line(s) and next year isn't looking too bad. I think the biggest thing is solidifying our lines because that's much easier said than done, but I think we can do it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post Leaper. I think, if everyone can rebound from their injuries (that's a big if), the injuries may have made us even better the next 2-3 years. We never would have found guys like Samkon Gado and Donald Lee if it weren't for injuries. We should have pretty good depth when everybody gets back. I think a few young guys really stepped up on the D-line like Montgomery. Jenkins and Cole but I'd like to see improvement on our O-line.

If Brett Favre is really going to sit down and evaluate how competitive this team can be next season, I hope he reads your post.

Members online

Latest posts