1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

What I'd like to see...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by LambeauLeaper, Dec 15, 2005.

1. LambeauLeaper

LambeauLeaper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is being rehashed, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to see:

The Packers finish on a strong note with a nice winning streak and end up 6-10. Looking at their schedule I think it's entirely possible, even with Chicago and Seattle. The Packers have been in every game this year, and I think they can pull it off. This will give them momentum heading into next season and a nice building block for 2006. Also, that will still net a draft pick around 9-12. Even if we lost last week, and every remaining game, I don't believe we would've have a shot at Bush because Houston has already decided that they'd rather have that than a little pride or integrity. <Small Tangent> I am so proud of the Packers for giving it their all the entire season. Like or not, you've got to credit Sherman at least a little for that. </tangent> With our first pick, if we can get a Defensive stud like A.J. Hawk, I wouldn't mind that - or the more likely scenario, we trade down a bit and get a few more picks in the first 3 rounds.

Honestly, I don't think this team is as far away from being a contender as most of the media thinks. With all of the injuries and turmoil involved with a first year GM, I think the Packers have actually played pretty well - particularly on defense. That may sound ridiculous with the team being 3-10, but you can't honestly tell me guys like Javon Walker wouldn't have made a huge difference in all those 1,2, and 3 point games. If you look back at the season, it's not that far fetched to say they could be 9-4 right now. Call me crazy, but if the breaks fell their way instead of going against them, I think a case could be made that the season could have very easily gone this way:

1 - Detroit - (lost 17-3) Loss
    2 - Cleveland - (lost 26-24) Win
    3 - Tampa - (lost 17-16) Win
    4 - Carolina - (lost 32-29) Win
    5 - New Orleans (won 52-3) Win
    7 - Minnesota (lost 23-20) Win
    8 - Cincinatti (lost 21-14) Loss
    9 - Pittsburgh (lost 20-10) Loss
    10 - Atlanta (won 33-25) Win
    11 - Minnesota (lost 20-17) Win
    12 - Philadelphia (lost 19-14) Win
    13 - Chicago (lost 19-7) Loss
    14 - Detroit (won 16-13) Win

I know, I know - coulda woulda shoulda. You can make a case that we could've (or should've) lost the Detroit game and be 2-11. Or you could even make cases in games that I still chalked up as losses (Cincy, Pitt, even Chicago) to say we could've won, but I think this scenario is pretty realistic considering how all of those games played out. You put a healthy Javon, Ahman, TMurphy, Franks, etc. in all those games and you've got a Favre that isn't pressing as much.

In any case, we get these guys back healthy next year - build on our defense (whether it's through free agency or the draft) and solidify our line(s) and next year isn't looking too bad. I think the biggest thing is solidifying our lines because that's much easier said than done, but I think we can do it.

2. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Great post Leaper. I think, if everyone can rebound from their injuries (that's a big if), the injuries may have made us even better the next 2-3 years. We never would have found guys like Samkon Gado and Donald Lee if it weren't for injuries. We should have pretty good depth when everybody gets back. I think a few young guys really stepped up on the D-line like Montgomery. Jenkins and Cole but I'd like to see improvement on our O-line.

If Brett Favre is really going to sit down and evaluate how competitive this team can be next season, I hope he reads your post.