What has happened to Favre?

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess ultimately it comes down to just whether or not you want to play and run the risk of being 4-12," Favre said at the news conference. "There’s always that risk, just as there is a chance of us being 12-4. I would be more surprised if we were 12-4. Anything could happen.

"I never thought we would ever go 4-12 in my tenure here in Green Bay and we did. Nothing surprises me anymore. That’s something I have to live with, if I’m willing to go through that again. (Those are) the options I’m weighing."

When did Brett Favre become so afraid of failure? Of course there is a chance Favre could go 4-12 if he comes back. Every player in the league deals with that possibility. One of the things that made Favre great is that he refused to allow temporary failure to change the kind of player he was. How many times have we seen Favre throw an interception, and then come back the very next drive, slinging the ball downfield, as he led the Packers to a score? How many times has Favre followed up a bad game with a great one?

Who can forget the game Favre had the night after his father died. Favre said later he was scared to death when he went out there, afraid he would fall flat on his face. BUT HE WENT OUT THERE ANYWAY! He went out and had a legendary game, inspiring his teammates as they lifted him up. And now he doesn't know if he wants to come back because there is a chance the season might not go well. Anyone who's been around as long as Brett should realize that there are a lot of things players can't control. All you can do is go out and play your best. If Brett wants to play, he should play. If he wants to retire, he should retire. But enough with the soap opera already.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look at it this way Route 25...

You've been on a team that was good and then decent but on a slide for all of the years of your career...and you were the ONE able to help that team WIN..even at times when they should have LOST...

Then one day..you wake up surrounded by a bunch of scrubs and rookies...a rookie coach..and a GM who has his head up his ***...

Oh..you still wanna play...but when you look around you..You have to say to yourself...There's gotta be somebody better than THIS in the NFL..?

Please...GB PACKERS..sign ONE player that can make some kind of IMPACT..so the whole friggin' sinking ship doesn't have to be on my shoulders..AGAIN!

and there's no one around to even toss you a life preserver..!

Reaction score
Guys, I think one of the things that Brett was really proud of was the fact that under him (when he started af full year), the Packers were never THAT bad. He prided himself on being a player that made the difference in late games, got them over the hump when it seemed a loss was looming.

But that quote struck me as odd too. It could mean a lot of things, but it could also mean that a 4-12 season again might damage Brett's legacy, and make it look like Brett played too long. And that I know is something Brett doesn't want to happen, so it is right for him to naturally worry about that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Oh..you still wanna play...but when you look around you..You have to say to yourself...There's gotta be somebody better than THIS in the NFL..?

Please...GB PACKERS..sign ONE player that can make some kind of IMPACT..so the whole friggin' sinking ship doesn't have to be on my shoulders..AGAIN!

and there's no one around to even toss you a life preserver..!
Apologize for cutting your quote, but I wanted to focus on the content remaining.

The problem is, there really isn't much better out there that want to come to GB. How many very talented players want to come to a franchise where the QB is apparently holding them hostage?

The Packers are trying to sign Woodson and I think he's going to be a huge impact on the team. However I think Brett wants an impact player on offense to lessen the burden off his shoulders. Remember when he said he didn't know if he wanted the ball in the last two minutes? I think he was more saying 'hey when its down to the last two minutes i want a weapon alongside me, i dont want to be the only weapon we have' but most construed his comments as he doesn't think he can do it. Well I believe that's particially correct. He can't do it on his own, nor does he want to. He's like a superhero and needs his sidekick.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's just getting sick of answering the retirement questions.

Leave the guy alone for Chris'sakes.

Every day it's the same stupid headline.

**BREAKING NEWS** - FAVRE STILL UNDECIDED!!!

Genius

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Yared-Yam - Let TT and BF deal with it. Its really not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. I am sure TT and Brett can handle the situation without the fans and media chiming in with thier opinions

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Thank you Yared-Yam - Let TT and BF deal with it. Its really not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. I am sure TT and Brett can handle the situation without the fans and media chiming in with thier opinions

Exactly

Favre sort of hinted at it in his last press conference when he said we should be talking about baseball and such

In other words, "Leave me alone for a week!!!"

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
route25 said:
I guess ultimately it comes down to just whether or not you want to play and run the risk of being 4-12," Favre said at the news conference. "There’s always that risk, just as there is a chance of us being 12-4. I would be more surprised if we were 12-4. Anything could happen.

"I never thought we would ever go 4-12 in my tenure here in Green Bay and we did. Nothing surprises me anymore. That’s something I have to live with, if I’m willing to go through that again. (Those are) the options I’m weighing."

When did Brett Favre become so afraid of failure? Of course there is a chance Favre could go 4-12 if he comes back. Every player in the league deals with that possibility. One of the things that made Favre great is that he refused to allow temporary failure to change the kind of player he was. How many times have we seen Favre throw an interception, and then come back the very next drive, slinging the ball downfield, as he led the Packers to a score? How many times has Favre followed up a bad game with a great one?

Who can forget the game Favre had the night after his father died. Favre said later he was scared to death when he went out there, afraid he would fall flat on his face. BUT HE WENT OUT THERE ANYWAY! He went out and had a legendary game, inspiring his teammates as they lifted him up. And now he doesn't know if he wants to come back because there is a chance the season might not go well. Anyone who's been around as long as Brett should realize that there are a lot of things players can't control. All you can do is go out and play your best. If Brett wants to play, he should play. If he wants to retire, he should retire. But enough with the soap opera already.

Failure is going to come at one time or another. Why cant he deal with it? Nothing is going to go his way or anybody elses. This was his first bad year in how many? He thinks he has to be perfect. If he wants to retire, let him. I hope for one more year anyhow.

OP
OP
R

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
I think he's just getting sick of answering the retirement questions.

Leave the guy alone for Chris'sakes.

Every day it's the same stupid headline.

**BREAKING NEWS** - FAVRE STILL UNDECIDED!!!

Genius

If Brett is tired of answering the retirement questions, he should stop giving interviews until he is ready to make a decision. What happened at the press conference in Mississippi probably wasn't his fault. However, the interviews he has given where he pontificates on what the GM should be doing have kept the story in the headlines.

Members online

Latest posts