What does this mean for Bates?

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Seeing that McCarthy is an offensive guy, it stands to reason he would wlcome Bates back. I can't believe he would have someone else more qualified or a buddy that he worked with previously.

So I think the question is whether or not Bates wants to come back. to m recollection, he hasn't had any interviews for HC jobs with other teams. I would assume if he's a DC next year it will be in Green Bay.

Thoughts?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think bates wants an HC job, and it sounds like he thought he had one here, and now him and his agent are going to look at other HC options. I hope it doesnt pan out, and we give hima nice reacharound, and he stays here. But i doubt it. Dang.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man shouldnt be embarrassed by not getting the HC job,,,look at what he did for our defense this year...I still think he would have made a great HC for the Packers organization...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure a lot of guys thought they had a good interview. Ive had good job interviews before and havent gotten the job. It happens. Its america.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, we let one get away

face it...ON PAPER this defense--with the personell we had, was probably the worst in the league--Jim Bates would get the coordinator of the year award, if such a thing existed, for him elevating this defense into the middle of the pack

he would've made a great coach, and I hope he wants to stay here as defensive coordinator...if not, he deserves a better position elsewhere

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jim Bates leaves i hope to god he dosen't end up in our division. I hope like hell that the Lions don't make a big push for him. It would be a lot to ask for but... please Jim think about staying in Green Bay.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe we didn't hire Bates. I'm really starting to be worried about TT. You can only follow Ron Wolf's footprints for so long, before you have to make a decision using your own f'ing brain.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I know Heather but earlier tonight he said he felt great about the interview and thought he had a good chance,

Hey, we have all walked away sometime is our lives thinking "That was a great interview. I know I got the job." Sometimes they don't happen.

I would really like to have Bates continue to his fine work improving our D. It would be great to have the same DC for a second straight year for a change.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for Bates too. But this has happened to him before. Quite likely, the tripping point was that he may not have had any good candidates for OC. I'm sure Bates will stay in the market for head coaching jobs, and if he doesn't get one, I expect him to return to Green Bay. He's already under contract to be our DC and he has ties to Wisconsin. At age 58, would he want to move to his third city in three years just out of spite for not getting the HC job?

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part. If Bates leaves, I have no idea who McCarthy might bring in to take his place.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think the Bates would apply for the Defensive Co-ordinator job with the Green Bay Packers. He probably will be given an interview from the new head coach. If the new head coach is impressed. he will retain him as his defensive co-ordinator. I would imagine the Packer organization has told the new heard coach of the fine job Jim Bates has done. The Packers already have had 3 co-ordinators in 3 years. I would think they would like a little stability at that DC position and don't want it 4-4. The defense was one the only bright spots in a rather dismal season. I would think, Jim Bates might be retained, this has been done many times when a new head coach has come in, but all this is pure speculation on my part. Who knows!! The candidate for head coach, Mike McCarthy hasn't been signed a contract yet, but I have heard there should be no problems. He should sign it soon and I would imagine things will going very quickly after the deal has been done.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Bates doesn't care for Mike McCarthy? I don't think he would have a problem getting a job anywhere in the nfl. It sure would leave a sour taste in Jims mouth having to look at this guy everyday and question how he would do things different if he was the head coach.

Members online

Latest posts