What do you want Thompson to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been reading for quite awhile that everyone is upset because Thompson isn't spending any of that twenty million on free agents. My question would be, who do you want him to sign? I can't imagine spending huge dollars just to sign someone unless you believe that this person is better than what you have. I'd love to have him go out and sign two outstanding guards, but the problem is, there aren't two outstanding guards out there who are free agents. Why would you spend the money just because you can? I think free agency has been pretty bleak this year.

The 0ne thing we must all remember is that this team isn't in sad shape because of what Thompson has or hasn't done, it's in sad shape because of the awful job Mike Sherman has done in the five privious seasons. Even as good as Walker is, he's a bad character and so was Mike McKenzie.

My point before we start blaming Thompson lets at least give him a chance to prove himself or to fail, but one draft and two season of free agents isn't enough to judge him as being good or bad.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we do have the money this year to spend, so I ask, Why are we not spending any of it on GOOD players? Bring in some good players so we have a chance this year to go further then last. There has been some great free agency guys out there to get, I know we dont know the whole story what goes on behind the scenes, nor do we know if any of these players want to play in Green Bay...I would sure hope they would, who wouldnt want to play with Brett Favre? But then again do we know if hes coming back? IMO yes I think he will come back for one more year..

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. Some people on here think we should have rushed out and signed BIG NAME, BIG MONEY Free Agents.

We get no respect for our activity during free agency. You know, the same people that were stating how the Vikes were going to make the Super Bowl last year cause they brought in so many high profile free agents. How did that pan out?

I think this honestly has been the best off-season in years. The approach we have taken with free-agents has been respectable. Bringing in young guys with huge upside at a modest rate has been TT's approach.

Its funny that all these other teams will pay Millions and Millions for guys based on one or two good years. Did you see what Seattle gave Burleson? Absolutely ridiculous.

To me free agency is like buying a used car. You are not going to pay a NEW CAR price for one with 12 years of milage on it.

Guys like Owens and Woodson are not Character people.

We have done a great job IMO, thus far. Some people just want that Big Name hasbeen so they can rush out and buy there new T.O. Packer Jersey.

If Favre returns, which I hope and we do a decent job in the draft I think you will see a competitive,winning football team.

The New O-Line zone blocking scheme with Ahman Green at 100% should provide us a very solid,NEW LOOK, running game which should allow us a more balanced attack.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse1 makes a good point. Right now, there really isn't anything major Thompson can do in free agency, although I would've liked to see him snag a biggie when some were still available. Vinatieri would've been nice, at least.

If Thompson is looking for this team to peak in 2007 or 2008, as I believe he is, a big-name free agent could do more harm than good by taking playing time away from younger guys who need the experience. So spending all that extra money could actually be counterproductive. I was fine with Sherman maxing out the cap because he was trying to win a championship every year and the team did seem to be close to being a real contender. By the same token, I hope Thompson maxes out the cap in a year or two, when this team is hopefully getting back to where it needs to be.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FINALLY... a post that makes some sense...

I seem to remember everyone in boston hated the patriots management 5 years ago when they started buying up mid level talent and lots of draft picks.... sure it doesnt seem right to leave big names on the board, but apparently (3 Rings Later) it works like a charm. Lets give Ted a chance even though it is really really frustrating. We could be preparing a nice little dynasty of our own here. Not to mention a ted thompson built team just played in the Super Bowl last year....he may know what hes doing.

and as far as brett goes... sure he would help bring in free agent talent, but like packed house said...what talent is out there. I think Brett told TT a long time ago hes coming back, but they are just playing the quiet game till after the draft in 30 days. That makes our number 5 pick value sky rocket,

By the way im new here, nice to meet everyone

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him to sign about 4 second teir offensive linemen and have a all out contest in the packers mini camp to shore up our line. Free agents...street players...arena league...walkons. You can find someone better than our halfa$$ed line from last year working at McDonalds.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Packnic. I hope the Packers enjoy the kind of success that New England has. It seems like a longshot, but I am willing to wait a couple years and see what Thompson can do.

I disagree with what you say about Favre, though. I think he is genuinely torn about whether or not he wants to keep playing. He's not the type to put up a front.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boz, have you been watching the moves Sherman has made during his tenure as GM? That is seriously what is wrong with this team today. TT was brought in to clean up the mess and I don't believe you can do that in one or two seasons.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Boz, have you been watching the moves Sherman has made during his tenure as GM? That is seriously what is wrong with this team today. TT was brought in to clean up the mess and I don't believe you can do that in one or two seasons.

Poor sherman drafts have left this team bare at several key positions, i approve most every move Thompson has made so far--the signing of Ahmad Plummer or Charles Woodson along with a solid draft will definitely give it thumbs-up status

I just wish we'd trade Walker while we still can, maybe get a pick, use that pick on Maurice Stovall, and still have a pretty solid recieving core...Driver, Gardner, Boeritger, Rookie, Ferguson is not all bad

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him to sign a quality CB. He is still rumored to be brining in some veteran LBs to compete for jobs (but of course it hasnt happened yet, so the TT hating continues, as if free agency ends tomorrow..oh you kids amuse me so)

but CB is the main one for me.

THERE ARE NO GOOD GUARDS IN FREE AGENCY

it there were, that would be on my list.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good points by all...my biggest qualm is letting Vinitieri slip away. we've all seen teams blow entire seasons with lack-luster kicking. there's no reason why Adam shouldn't be a Packer right now imo.

other than that, theres still a ton of time for Ted to show us why he got this job. i haven't hit the panic button yet, even if i did, what the hell good would it do? :lol:

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason Adam isn't a Packer right now is more likely because we don't have a dome and Indianapolis does.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
The reason Adam isn't a Packer right now is more likely because we don't have a dome and Indianapolis does.

possibly, a nice fat salary will make a man forget about weather conditions though. did we even lay anything on the table for him? i know Ted wasn't present during his visit, but i'm not sure if that hurt the situation...it couldn't have helped.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I read that an offer was given and that the Colts did offer more money, but I don't know if the Packers even had a chance to raise there offer because the Colts signing came out of nowhere. Nobody seemed to even know that the Colts were going after him. At least he didn't sign Edinger anywho and Cundiff seems decent considering there weren't any alternatives really.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well cundiff will have massive competition this year. its been stated. its his job to lose now. can he fight off the competition? we'll see.

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with LaVar Arrington? He may not be a "character guy" or a "Packer person", but he's a physical specimen and has a chip on his shoulder about his experience in Washington. Last time I checked, this LB core needed serious upgrading. Arrington might be the mean guy our D has been lacking for so long. All I'm saying is that it can't hurt to try him out for a year or two. Let's spend some dough.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle said:
What's wrong with LaVar Arrington? He may not be a "character guy" or a "Packer person", but he's a physical specimen and has a chip on his shoulder about his experience in Washington. Last time I checked, this LB core needed serious upgrading. Arrington might be the mean guy our D has been lacking for so long. All I'm saying is that it can't hurt to try him out for a year or two. Let's spend some dough.

good call..Lavar is a badass.

i believe the deal in Washington was that he had trouble playing in their scheme and kept "doing his own thing" so to speak. but the dude produces regardless. when they put him back in after his benching, he still got results.

couldn't hurt to talk to him, see where his head is at.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you want to bring ina guy who 'does his own thing' with a rookie head coach?

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ben Taylor is a back-up/special teamer a la Raynoch Thompson. We need to upgrade.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
you want to bring ina guy who 'does his own thing' with a rookie head coach?

he's a good player tro...i don't think his experience in Washington should put him on the "tainted goods" list. bring his ******* in and see what he has to say...couldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts