What do you guys think the odds are that we let Shields go in FA AND don't sign a big name FA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how some say TT doesn't overspend. Lol ok , Brad Jones, Morgan Burnett, aj hawk, and Tramon Williams . Seriously now .

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a good scenario if Shields decides he don't want to be a Packer but it would be even better if we could sign Shields and get Byrd. Byrd is going to price himself out of the Packers price. I still like that kid from Nebraska Jean-Batiste. Pryor if he is available by the time we pick 21st. We need attitude in our defense someone to come in and smack the other teams offense but not disrespectful attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think if Thompson is sure of the players' tallent... He is still capable of pulling the trigger. Look at Woodson for instance. He was considered overpaid when Thompson brought him in. Woodson had not done anything in Oakland for years, and GB gave him premiere $$$. By the time Woodsons deal was 4 years in he wasnt even top 10 paid CB in the league anymore, and was ready to be def player of the year...you get the point.

Consider Byrd is in his prime. Has years to get better even. Even if he gets 5 yr/ 50million!!! In 5 years he could be our reigning def player of the year. And have a small salary considering...

Its up to Teddy making the call... He's the best... Is it time to mention that we could REALLY use a good safety?:)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget Crosby

How could I forget! You know you overspent when you ask guys to take pay cut for underachieving . But Teddy never over spends right ? Yea ok. Add Kuhn to the list .

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How could I forget! You know you overspent when you ask guys to take pay cut for underachieving . But Teddy never over spends right ? Yea ok.
Thompson just paid retail price for a few of his guys. One thing about Hawk is he is consistant as in never injured. He is playing better the last couple season too IMO. Williams was a pro-bowl fill around the time he got his contract. Crosby has the leg to kick a 70+ yarder. Despite some bad streaks, and missed clutch kicks a few years back. He has potential to be the best some day IMO. Brad Jones was here since he was barely 21 years old. Managed to out last all those quality LBs that came through GB since Barnett left. He can play inside or outside LB... How bad is he? How much does he make? It not terrible... None of it is terrible...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Thompson is sure of the players' tallent... He is still capable of pulling the trigger. Look at Woodson for instance. He was considered overpaid when Thompson brought him in. Woodson had not done anything in Oakland for years, and GB gave him premiere $$$. By the time Woodsons deal was 4 years in he wasnt even top 10 paid CB in the league anymore, and was ready to be def player of the year...you get the point.

Consider Byrd is in his prime. Has years to get better even. Even if he gets 5 yr/ 50million!!! In 5 years he could be our reigning def player of the year. And have a small salary considering...

Its up to Teddy making the call... He's the best... Is it time to mention that we could REALLY use a good safety?:)

Sounds good but it's more realistic he drafts a safety and hopes he will develop into a stud liked md Jennings or morgan Burnett.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say Shields signs back with us.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
NFL network reported last night that buffalo offered Byrd enough $$$ to become the highest paid DB, and he turned down the offer...SO.....forget about the packers ever getting close enough to him.

D

Deleted member 6794

NFL network reported last night that buffalo offered Byrd enough $$$ to become the highest paid DB, and he turned down the offer...SO.....forget about the packers ever getting close enough to him.

Actually he was offered to be the highest paid safety for a portion of the deal, that´s a different story.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Probably not, I´m not sure though that spending $9 million a year on Byrd would be a bad idea.

No, it's not a bad idea at all.... considering what tramon is making and byrd is better than him..... but right now, with all the other people we need to retain and those that we need to resign next year.... I think byrd is out of the question at his sky high price. TT wants K-mart priced players with Macey's results....which dont happen

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An earlier post indicated the Bills offered Byrd to be the highest paid DB at 10mil per but he turn it down...(if is an accurate report) So either he just doesn't want to play for Buffalo or he is thinking on breaking the Bank on free agency...Now back to the Pack I wouldn't mind seen the Packers making a run for Whitner who is still young at 28 and has the attitude and leadership...why isn't anyone talking about him as an option?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An earlier post indicated the Bills offered Byrd to be the highest paid DB at 10mil per but he turn it down...(if is an accurate report) So either he just doesn't want to play for Buffalo or he is thinking on breaking the Bank on free agency...Now back to the Pack I wouldn't mind seen the Packers making a run for Whitner who is still young at 28 and has the attitude and leadership...why isn't anyone talking about him as an option?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eg-hardy-eric-decker-knowshon-moreno/5390341/

This article feels his best fit is here.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree but not too many people in this Forum are talking about him...

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree but not too many people in this Forum are talking about him...

I think that's because Whitner will ask for a lot of money as well and people would rather get Byrd if the Packers would sign a high priced safety.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough .....but one comes from a top rated defense where he was a leader and the other one comes from a bottom rated defense and held out. Plus one them could help us solve the riddle of the last couple of years...

D

Deleted member 6794

Fair enough .....but one comes from a top rated defense where he was a leader and the other one comes from a bottom rated defense and held out. Plus one them could help us solve the riddle of the last couple of years.

I don't think there's any doubt Byrd is one of the best safeties in the league even if the Bills overall defense wasn't good (BTW he didn't hold out last season, he didn't sign the franchise tender).

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did not hold out... My mistake.. And I do agree he is one of the best.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, I don't think the term "Letting him walk" relates to this situation, since the office is trying to work out a new deal. That term is better suited to what they did with Woodson last season, where they didn't even offer an extension.

I agree Hayward and Hyde are stronger in the slot than the edge, but that doesn't mean they can't get better on the egde. It also doesn't mean we can't find another outside corner in the draft. I mean, Shields was an undrafted free agent, so I'm sure we can find someone.

And for the record, I hope we re-sign Shields. I agree we're better at the position with him than without. I also think his desire to test free agency is more about him and his agent trying to figure out his value than anything., That said, I think we need more defensive line help than we do defensive back. For my money, that's where I put my emphasis as it relates to building the defense. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and a good pass rush can make the most mediocre secondaries look pretty good.

+100

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
woweee. 4 years/ 39million!. almost 10 mil a year..... cant say i wouldve done the same...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Could be he just wants out of Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts