Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
20 Collins Nick 2009
32 Rouse Aaron 2010
36 Culver Tyrone 2009
39 Bigby Atari 2008
45 Peprah Charlie 2009

According to NFL.com's depth chart Bigby and Collins were are starties. Do you think they were servicable or should the packers maybe draft someone to groom to replace one of them?

And if there was a position where we needed help, would it be Free Safety or strong Safety? I'll admit I didn't keep up with our safeties so much last year :/

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is the most physically talented of the bunch, but he seems to disappear at times. Whether due to scheme or personal performance, I have always thought he should have a greater impact than he does.

Rouse is an instinctive player whose long build might make him a little slower to react than a more compact player. But, he has delivered when asked to.

Culver showed promise before injury, I look for growth this season.

Bigby is hammer whose coverage skills improved with familiarity as the season progressed, but still had some lapses. Signing him to a 1 year deal was smart....see if he elevates his game before investing.

Peprah is a career backup with little to distinguish his game.

Bottom line, there is some intriguing talent at the top of this group. But that very same talent let TEs run roughshod over the defrense all year long. Is it the players or the scheme? I don't know, but I could see us investing in another safety to press the issue with established players.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I kind of felt the same way. I'm debating who to take in this Mock with our 3rd Rd Pick. Its a Tricky choice. There are a couple of good Running Backs on the board. a DT and a DE, as well as several safeties, and LInebackers. I'm not sure LB is a 3rd Round need so I'm not leaning that diection right now. Running Back could be an option. but do I go with a guy that went to a smaller school but had phenomenal numbers despite being the key part of their offenses (matt forte, Tulane, Kevin Smith, UCF) or a guy who played in a tougher Conference like Ray Rice or Tashard Choice. In Rice's case his Height and weight concern me a lot. Choice is taller than rice. There is still the possibility I could wait on a back too:

Matt Forte, Tulane Height: 6-1 Weight: 217 Time: 4.46

*Ray Rice, Rutgers Height: 5-8 Weight: 199 Time: 4.44

*Tashard Choice, Ga Tech Height: 5-10 Weight: 215 Time: 4.54

Kevin Smith, Central Florida Height: 6-1 WeightL 217 Time: 4.43

Also considering Offensive Center:

Steve Justice, Wake Forest Height: 6-3 Weight: 293 Time: 5.22

who is there at our pick right now.

Its kind of down to EIther Steve Justice one of these Dlineman (I'm leaning toward the DT cause they are harder to find and we did just lose Corey Williams)

Defensive Ends:

Chris Harrington, Texas A&M Height: 6-4 WeightL: 264, Time: 4.89

Brian Johnson, Garner-Webb Height: 6-5, Weight: 276 Time: 4.66

Defensive Tackles:

Marcus Harrison: Arkansas Height: 317, Weight: 317 Time: 5.02

I've got about an hour to make up my mind. FYI I've already picked the following:

# 1st Round: #30 - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
# 2nd Round: #56 - Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
# 2nd Round: #60 - John Greco, OT, Toledo

I took Greco cause I felt his ability to play both OT and Tackle will really come in handy. Not sure I like the idea of drafting Oline Two picks in a row, but we were hurt at Center Last year. Decisions Decisions :/

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see us taking a few DB's in the draft but I think the depth at CB is more of a concern. I'd also like to see Rouse play a little more because he shows that he has what it takes to make big plays (picks/fumbles) unlike Collins, but I don't know enough about him to warrant giving him the start spot. Should be an interesting offseason battle though.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking of trying to get an extra DB, perhaps one that can double as a return man later on, but its not a pick I want to sue in the 3rd.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
20 Collins Nick 2009
32 Rouse Aaron 2010
36 Culver Tyrone 2009
39 Bigby Atari 2008
45 Peprah Charlie 2009

According to NFL.com's depth chart Bigby and Collins were are starties. Do you think they were servicable or should the packers maybe draft someone to groom to replace one of them?

And if there was a position where we needed help, would it be Free Safety or strong Safety? I'll admit I didn't keep up with our safeties so much last year :/

Atari Bigby will be a Pro Bowler this year. he'll get 6+ INTs. The reason he's in the wrong place at times is because of coaching.

Rouse will be starting by week 8. Collins is a solid backup.

Culver and Peprah, haven't seen enough of them to judge.

We'll draft 2 DBs. I think one of them will be able to play CB/S.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Build from within. Peprah has made the team year after year. He must have SOME talent.

Collins and Bigby are serviceable, but one of them is going to have to make the quantum leap sooner or later.

Especially with how good of a safety Aaron Rouse will turn out to be.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rouse will start the season opener, in my eyes he is far better than Collins. Bigby seemed to get better as the year went on. What about collins as a nickel back?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got about an hour to make up my mind. FYI I've already picked the following:

I'd cream my pants if we nabbed both Cason and Keller.

You should be all over Ray Rice or Kevin Smith with that third rounder.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, all of these guys are young, and safety is a position that improves with age. I like what I've seen from Collins and Bigby. I'm one of the few that doesn't want a replacement for either. Bigby was actually my main concern until he improved so much in the second half of the season. Rouse is going to push hard for a starting spot too, which is only good for the team. Collins has shown flashes... that game against Chicago in 2006 (?) was incredible. He's only 24, younger than Bigby and the same age as Rouse. I want to see how they play this year. I'm excited... I think it could be the position that improves the most compared to expectations.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Atari Bigby will be a Pro Bowler this year. he'll get 6+ INTs. The reason he's in the wrong place at times is because of coaching.

Aaron Rouse is a helluva player. I think he'll be starting before week 8. He's got huge upside and while Collins has shown flashes, he hasn't taken that next step. Rouse just looks to have more ability, and he's only a rookie.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Aaron Rouse is a helluva player. I think he'll be starting before week 8. He's got huge upside and while Collins has shown flashes, he hasn't taken that next step. Rouse just looks to have more ability, and he's only a rookie.

Totally agreed. That's why I said "by week 8."

Bigby looks like if positioned correctly, he can be a ball hawk. Rouse seems like he can be one too. I'd love to have 2 Safeties who get us some takeaways. I've always said that takeaways are those things that can change a course of a game.

I foresee big plays from both of them in '08.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

I'd cream my pants if we nabbed both Cason and Keller.

You should be all over Ray Rice or Kevin Smith with that third rounder.

I like Ray Rice, but I don't have him as a 3rd Round pick, I think he's a bit small, he could put on size, but sorry to disappoint you there, but I took Marcus Harrison the 307lb DT from ARkansas. I felt he was too good a prospect to take a back over given how Deep the backs are in this draft. It came down to him or the Center from Wake Forest. Also some may be scratching their head over why I took Grecco in the 2nd Round. In our draft there was a run on Offensive Tackles, and I felt we needed a good one, but when i read that he could slide in side and play at guard that pretty much sold me on wanting him. If they had not had that many OTs taken I'd have taken Xavier Adibi the LB form Va Tech. I felt we needed a top pick on the Oline though given the age of our guys so eh.

No clue who to take with our 2 4ths. Maybe a back, maybe a backer, maybe a Safety or corner. MIght target a QB for depth who knows LOL.

vipercwf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its funny this topic was brought up because I was curious to see what other people think, and was surprised there hasn't been more talk about it. Personally my only concern has been with Nick Collins - For as much playing time as he has had i expect alot more from him. Especially with his speed/athleticism. I think bigby is gonna be just fine, sure he has room to improve but I think we will be fine there. Collins dropped every single interception that came to him last year. I can not recall one really big play that he made (turnover, etc) when I can many times for bigby and even Rouse who had limited play time. I really enjoyed when rouse was in there with bigby. He came up big and started the day we shut out the vikings.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its funny this topic was brought up because I was curious to see what other people think, and was surprised there hasn't been more talk about it. Personally my only concern has been with Nick Collins - For as much playing time as he has had i expect alot more from him. Especially with his speed/athleticism. I think bigby is gonna be just fine, sure he has room to improve but I think we will be fine there. Collins dropped every single interception that came to him last year. I can not recall one really big play that he made (turnover, etc) when I can many times for bigby and even Rouse who had limited play time. I really enjoyed when rouse was in there with bigby. He came up big and started the day we shut out the vikings.

Yes, those dropped INTs got under my skin. I hate seeing them.

Bigby and Rouse on the other hand produced takeaways, and Rouse was in there for a very limited time.

Bigby can also lay some wood. Seattle's WRs were afraid to go up the middle and we actually saw a few drops in that Playoff game. Bigby gets in their heads. I like that.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love wathcing Bigby, he's a big play kind of guy and I also think that Rouse will see a lot more playing time, he's a monster

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah i am a Rouse fan. I think he will out perform Collins.

I didnt like Bigby at first because of his rawness and he was a liability. But in the later season, he became a well rounded hard hitting safety.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not one cover guy in the group - that's why TEs killed us all year. In terms of the way most teams define the position, they'd all be called Strong Safeties - big hitters, good against the run.

We need someone who can cover - a Free Safety. I think if we can trade for Lito Sheppard or one of the CBs from Oakland, Woodson would make an a-w-e-s-o-m-e FS.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not one cover guy in the group - that's why TEs killed us all year. In terms of the way most teams define the position, they'd all be called Strong Safeties - big hitters, good against the run.

We need someone who can cover - a Free Safety. I think if we can trade for Lito Sheppard or one of the CBs from Oakland, Woodson would make an a-w-e-s-o-m-e FS.

Agreed Woodson would make an awesome FS. The problem is Woodson doesn't want to be one. It sucks, because I could see him getting 8+ INTs as one.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
20 Collins Nick 2009
32 Rouse Aaron 2010
36 Culver Tyrone 2009
39 Bigby Atari 2008
45 Peprah Charlie 2009

Culver and Peprah, haven't seen enough of them to judge.

We'll draft 2 DBs. I think one of them will be able to play CB/S.

I think Rouse will win the job in camp. He's also a ball hawk from what I could tell at last years Senior Bowl.

Safety is an ok position for the Packers. If they take on on Day 1 it will be Kenny Phillips because he's the best player on their board. I don't think that will happen but you can't rule it out.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we can upgrade every position on this team, or at least that should be the mindset of the brain wizards behind closed doors, however I do not believe it is one of our glaring needs like every offseason since Sharper left - and really since LeRoy retired.

Rouse has shown good instincts and I think he will improve with another offseason to study. Bigby matured quite a bit last year and is a big hitter and aggressive player. Collins seems to be the most athletically gifted and will typically not get you hurt, but does not seem to have a great feel for the game or position.

I feel confident that we will see improvement out of that group this year, but I would not shy away from drafting at this position if that happens to be the best football player at that given point in time. One injury could seriously impact this position and two would be fatal - you always like depth and competition.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
can never have enough good players. that would be a good problem to have.

That's what I think. Can't hurt.

What I'd like to see is a CB/S drafted (as well as a straight up CB who can immediately start at our Nickel position).

Members online

Latest posts