What do you expect out of Marquand Manuel?

Reaction score
He was terrible (at best) last year. We drafted Rouse to upgrade the position. A lot of people don't like Manuel (which is understandable), but I want to know what do you expect out of him this year?

- ST demon?
- Valuable veteran presence to give tips to our young Safeties from the sidelines?
- A backup player that will be a distraction?
- A starter that will improve over his dreadful first year as a Packer (he can't really do any worse).

Personally, I think I'm alone in expecting Manuel to be the starter at SS this year. I guess you can call it a gut feeling, but I think Manuel will have a decent year this year (not good or great, but solid). I expect him to do exactly what he was brought on to do: shore up our run support and not miss as many tackles as he did last year. I expect Manuel to improve (not a lot, but a little bit) in his coverage support, to the point where we won't see as many big plays.

When it is all said and done, I think Marquand will end up proving that last year was an anomaly, and not the norm.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Marquand really sucks.
He should not be on the team.
Ted messed up with him.

But the thing is, he proved to be of some value to the Seahawks young D when they made it to the Superbowl.

He can't be all that bad if stepped in and contributed to a Superbowl bound team, could he?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I in the minority thinking we have two run-stopping safeties that want to knock the snot out of anybody with the ball but kind of lack in pass coverage? I hate to say this, but I think we would benefit greatly by having at least one safety as a "ballhawk" a la Darren Sharp.....oh, nevermind.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would expect him to be the starter at the beginning of the season for 2 reasons:

1. It has been mentioned lately that he was playing injured for a good part of last season AND the defensive backs played better toward the end of the year.

2. It would be difficult enough for Rouse to learn the system as a rookie but to add the job of making the defensive backfield calls may be too much until he has become acclimated to the defense.

Manuel struggled last year and I was right there with everyone else tearing him apart for his really lame excuses. He was, however, the starter for Seattle's Superbowl team after Hamlin got shot and was just learning the Packers system last year as well. I could see him redeeming himself in his second year in the system -- being familiar with the calls and playing without injury. I think the Packers will give him every chance to keep the job before handing it over to Rouse.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Marquand really sucks.
He should not be on the team.
Ted messed up with him.

But he played all last year and gained experience in our system... how can he not improve with the offseason and the improve within philosophy? Every rookie and 2nd year player is apparently able to "improve from within".. why not a 6th year player whom is only 27 yo and in his second year of our system..

Just busting your chops.. :razz:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
No way... limitations to the "Improvement within" philosophy.... can't be, LOL.....

maybe I should try that drinking thing...

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's going to have to show he deserves that starting job in training camp because Nick Collins is pretty much the only "lock" for being a starter. Manuel, Rouse, Underwood, and Culver are all going to be vying for the remaining starting or reserve safety spots. I'd say he at least has a decent shot at making the team as a reserve if not just for the fact he is the most experienced safety on the roster. That's no guarantee, but the other guys are going to really have to outplay him probably for TT and MM to hand the remaining safety jobs over to a bunch of rookie and/or second year players. (excluding Collins)

And who knows? Maybe a guy like Bigby, Peprah, or Nnabuife might step up and surprise someone.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expected him to compete like Hell to try and prolong his NFL life.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect him to get Marviel Underwood some damn gatorade whenever he comes over to the bench for a drink.

I was opposed to the aquisition of Manuel from the first moment it was rumored before the start of free agency last year. I laid out a solid case for why he was not NFL starting material/

Having said that your dismissive attitude demonstrates a complete lack of understanding and respect for what it takes to make it in the NFL for 5 seasons.

He will be fighting for his NFL life -- don't expect him to just roll over.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I expect him to get Marviel Underwood some damn gatorade whenever he comes over to the bench for a drink.

I was opposed to the aquisition of Manuel from the first moment it was rumored before the start of free agency last year. I laid out a solid case for why he was not NFL starting material/

Having said that your dismissive attitude demonstrates a complete lack of understanding and respect for what it takes to make it in the NFL for 5 seasons.

Find one place where I said Manual was going to roll over and hand over the job to someone else. Also, don't give me that "lack of understanding and respect..." BS, Bruce. I think Underwood is a superior player and feel that he will win the starting job over Manual, who struggled heavily last season. It has nothing to do with understanding or respect. You don't know anything about me so don't go there talking about my attitude, something you know absolutely nothing about. OK? Thanks.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
NDPackerFan said:

Find one place where I said Manual was going to roll over and hand over the job to someone else. Also, don't give me that "lack of understanding and respect..." BS, Bruce. I think Underwood is a superior player and feel that he will win the starting job over Manual, who struggled heavily last season. It has nothing to do with understanding or respect. You don't know anything about me so don't go there talking about my attitude, something you know absolutely nothing about. OK? Thanks.

You wrote, "I expect him to get Marviel Underwood some damn gatorade whenever he comes over to the bench for a drink."

Sorry if I somehow misread that as dismissive of a NFL 5 year veteran.

You're right I don't know anything about your other than what you wrote -- which of course is what I responded to.

I think Underwood has far better cover skills too, IF he fully recovers from a serious injury he will be one of the favorites to win the job.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Bruce said:
NDPackerFan said:

You wrote, "I expect him to get Marviel Underwood some damn gatorade whenever he comes over to the bench for a drink."

Sorry if I somehow misread that as dismissive of a NFL 5 year veteran.

You're right I don't know anything about your other than what you wrote -- which of course is what I responded to.

I think Underwood has far better cover skills too, IF he fully recovers from a serious injury he will be one of the favorites to win the job.

My point by the gatorade comment is that I feel Underwood is a superior player when healthy and I think he will be healthy by training camp. I wrote the original post not trying to be literal with my words...you took them that way. In all actuality, I don't expect Manual to serve Underwood gatorade when he comes to the bench. The point is that I feel Manual will be on the sidelines and Underwood will be on the field.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Expect opportunity to run passed him like a 50 yard bomb play.

His only starts have come when the starters were injured (Hamlin in 05 and Underwood in 06). Perhaps on a bad team there is a chance of him earning a spot in a training camp battle.

I just don't like his technique of standing still while the receiver runs passsed him and only run after him if he catches the ball.

He could not beat out Roman in 2 years in Cincinnati. I too hated Manuel well as a free agent and criticized people here for assuming he would start just because he was far overpaid.

For people who complain that nothing was done in free agency I would say mistakes like Manuel have been avoided.

If you go with the young guys three things can happen:

a) they are worse than Manuel and get replaced.
b) they are as good as Manuel with a chance to improve.
c) they are better than Manuel and Manuel is cut.

I like the odds of going with the winner of the Peprah/Culver battle, Collins, Underwood, and Rouse.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know what i expect out of him, other than to improve. admittedly, manual had it kind of rough last year. he isn't all that talented or gifted, but i think his impact in seattle was due to a lot of hard work. you can say what you want about his abilities, but he works hard, and that is an important factor too. he was in a new system last year, and missed a lot of time before the season because of an injury. hopefully this year he can get up to speed and compete for a job, push himself and all the other safeties on this team.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why people are saying underwood. What did he do to make it seem he is our best? Manuel is an ok player if we are desperate and He does supply some depth. And again, what has underwood done???? Only thing iv'e seen is an interception at the packers scrimmage......

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could expect him to improve from last year. I think last season he was trying to learn the defense and got all caught up and played horrid. I hope Rouse or Underwood or someone start over him though, not too high on Marquand.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
My point by the gatorade comment is that I feel Underwood is a superior player when healthy and I think he will be healthy by training camp. I wrote the original post not trying to be literal with my words...you took them that way. In all actuality, I don't expect Manual to serve Underwood gatorade when he comes to the bench. The point is that I feel Manual will be on the sidelines and Underwood will be on the field.

lol @ having to explain that

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
expect him to play his best and if and which he probably will get beat for the starting spot handle it like a man and be a decent backup.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:

lol @ having to explain that

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...lol

Members online

Latest posts