OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Point.

Remember coach Mike Holmgren?
Can you name the 5 coaches he had under him in Green Bay that went on to be head coaches
in other NFL teams?
Off the top. Gruden, Rhodes, the guy that went to NE, the guy on the football channel (Marahoochie?), Like I said, off the top. I hope at least those 4 aren't wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good Point.

Remember coach Mike Holmgren?
Can you name the 5 coaches he had under him in Green Bay that went on to be head coaches
in other NFL teams?

Pretty decent Coaching Tree by Holmgren, with only a few "dead branches".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the coaching tree above your post is right, then I'm figuring that Reid is a good guess. :)

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special teams. We started 2018 season strong but our punting unit got sloppy as it got colder. We also need dynamic return game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers wouldn't have been a playoff team with less injuries last season either.

I disagree. If Rodgers is 100%, GMO doesn’t get hurt, and Kevin King and Randall Cobb aren’t made of glass, I think they win at least 3 more games. Which would’ve gotten us in.

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree. If Rodgers is 100%, GMO doesn’t get hurt, and Kevin King and Randall Cobb aren’t made of glass, I think they win at least 3 more games. Which would’ve gotten us in.

Rodgers not getting injured in week 1 would have been the only one making a difference last season.

Looks like our most dynamic return guy is Jaire. But you can’t risk getting the guy hurt.

If Alexander is the most dynamic returner on the roster there's no reason to not use him in that role. He can get injured lining up at cornerback as well.

I believe Davis is a much better player in that regard though.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Alexander is the most dynamic returner on the roster there's no reason to not use him in that role. He can get injured lining up at cornerback as well.

I believe Davis is a much better player in that regard though.

there absolutely is! he's the key guy in a defensive backfield that, after all these years, is only just now in decent shape...and that's if king can stay on the field. exposing him on returns would be irresponsible.
yes...davis is the better option...by a freaking mile.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers not getting injured in week 1 would have been the only one making a difference last season.

[\QUOTE]

Huh?

Before he got hurt, GMO was our 2nd leading WR, and King is a starting CB. You don't think that makes a difference?

I don't buy that.

D

Deleted member 6794

there absolutely is! he's the key guy in a defensive backfield that, after all these years, is only just now in decent shape...and that's if king can stay on the field. exposing him on returns would be irresponsible.

As I've mentioned above Alexander can get hurt playing cornerback as well. If he presents the best option on the roster to return punts the Packers should use him in that role.

Huh?

Before he got hurt, GMO was our 2nd leading WR, and King is a starting CB. You don't think that makes a difference?

I don't buy that.

Allison or King staying healthy wouldn't have resulted in the Packers being a playoff team in 2018.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned above Alexander can get hurt playing cornerback as well. If he presents the best option on the roster to return punts the Packers should use him in that role.

Allison or King staying healthy wouldn't have resulted in the Packers being a playoff team in 2018.

You said Rodgers was the only one making a difference.

Even one more win, is a difference.

And I just don't agree with you.

D

Deleted member 6794

You said Rodgers was the only one making a difference.

Even one more win, is a difference.

And I just don't agree with you.

Once again, I don't believe the Packers win another game if only Allison and/or King stay healthy for all of last season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure he could be...but that's doing his actual job. kamikaze PR guy isn't why he was drafted. adding half a dozen plays like that a game is like going from crossing a street against the light to running across a busy highway. neither is advisable, for saftey's sake, but the latter is just plain stupid. the odds of getting killed go immensely. your original statement said JA is the best returner but davis is a better option. why is that? there's only one reason.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I don't believe the Packers win another game if only Allison and/or King stay healthy for all of last season.

The original statement was not one or the other. It was all of them :)

So again, yes, Rodgers with Allison makes a difference on this team. We're talking about a safety net for Rodgers that averaged 72 ypg pre-injury. You don't think that makes a difference over the year?! Him being out there means a rookie that doesn't know the playbook isn't on the field. That's big.

Same thing with Kevin King. He's a solid starting CB. Him being on the field means that Josh Jackson, or Tony Brown, isn't. For last year, that makes a difference on how well a defense plays, and what a defense is able to do. When you're playing guys who aren't as good/capable/knowledgeable, it limits what plays you're able to run. Those things matter over the course of a year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get rid of Josh Jones. His absence at OTAs sends a bad message. He doesn’t want to be here, and worse, doesn’t want to compete for a job.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Get rid of Josh Jones. His absence at OTAs sends a bad message. He doesn’t want to be here, and worse, doesn’t want to compete for a job.

I don't think getting rid of Josh Jones will make or break our season, but I do think how the Packers go about doing it will be an important decision for the future. What happens next season when Josh Jackson or Jaire Alexander pull the same thing?

I understand wanting to purge a player that isn't happy, but how that is done, should be done in a way that gives other players a clear message that they aren't the ones calling the shots.

If this was a player like Davante Adams, I think there would be more emphasis on how important the decision moving forward is, but because Jones isn't all that good, people are quick to say "cut him today, we don't need him!"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think getting rid of Josh Jones will make or break our season, but I do think how the Packers go about doing it will be an important decision for the future. What happens next season when Josh Jackson or Jaire Alexander pull the same thing?

I understand wanting to purge a player that isn't happy, but how that is done, should be done in a way that gives other players a clear message that they aren't the ones calling the shots.

If this was a player like Davante Adams, I think there would be more emphasis on how important the decision moving forward is, but because Jones isn't all that good, people are quick to say "cut him today, we don't need him!"
Good points. It might also help if they’d share with him what his role is expected to be (yeah, IT’S EARLY).

Reaction score
Yeah. One things for sure....
I’m either keeping him or cutting him!
“That bastard!” (With my best Billy Crystal old man accent). :confused:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good points. It might also help if they’d share with him what his role is expected to be (yeah, IT’S EARLY).

Josh Jones would have to earn his role, that is what is expected, whether that is on Defense or Special Teams. Same thing the Packers expect from the other 89 players. Listening to Packers Secondary coach Simmons today, he views all of the guys as DB's, whether they will be CB's, Safeties or where they play on the field, doesn't really matter until Pettine figures out how he wants to line up the best guys.

Line Coach Jerry Montgomery echoed that everyone needs to keep getting better and just can't expect that the guys behind them won't take their jobs.