What do we need to have a great season?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not much of a Spriggs fan, but cutting him isn't happening, unless he just has a terrible preseason or gets injured. The $1.132 M he is being paid in the last year of his rookie deal is cheap insurance for a guy who can do an ok job backing up a few positions on the OL. Is he starter quality? No, but he is being paid rookie money.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am actually quite satisfied with our oline depth, it hasn't been this good in quite some time.

The Packers have a pretty good starting offensive line, especially in pass protection, but aside of Jenkins the team didn't add any quality depth this offseason.

And it looks like the OL will be markedly better (on paper for now). I’m concerned about RT behind Bulaga..... well I’m concerned about Bulaga too. The OL will be better, as will #12, and I expect a return to form for the entire offense.

Turner replacing whoever lined up at right guard last season should provide an upgrade but I don't consider the offensive line to be markedly better entering 2019.

I'm not much of a Spriggs fan, but cutting him isn't happening, unless he just has a terrible preseason or gets injured. The $1.132 M he is being paid in the last year of his rookie deal is cheap insurance for a guy who can do an ok job backing up a few positions on the OL. Is he starter quality? No, but he is being paid rookie money.

It's unlikely but there's a chance some other offensive linemen even cheaper than Spriggs move past him on the depth chart. In that case there wouldn't be any reason to keep him on the roster.

He'd probably start on more than a couple teams

I highly doubt that to be true.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's been guys as bad or worse than Spriggs that have gone on to start many years for other teams for various reasons. He'd start for someone, I have little doubt, and at the very least be snatched up as a back up pretty quickly.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's been guys as bad or worse than Spriggs that have gone on to start many years for other teams for various reasons. He'd start for someone, I have little doubt, and at the very least be snatched up as a back up pretty quickly.

While Spriggs has stretches of excellent play he has too many complete breakdowns leading to pass rushers having a clean shot at Rodgers. That's a recipe for disaster and I'm not convinced other teams would feel comfortable about starting him at any spot on the offensive line.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't instill confidence in me either, but that goes for half the starting right tackles in the league on any given week. I'm thankful many don't play for GB, yet all of them find their way onto a field.

D

Deleted member 6794

He doesn't instill confidence in me either, but that goes for half the starting right tackles in the league on any given week. I'm thankful many don't play for GB, yet all of them find their way onto a field.

I'm convinced there are at least 32 right tackles in the league capable of performing at a better level than Spriggs currently is.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably, and half of them will probably need to be replaced by week 6-8 and someone else will be starting in their place. Happens every year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably, and half of them will probably need to be replaced by week 6-8 and someone else will be starting in their place. Happens every year.

I would prefer Turner to move to right tackle if Bulaga suffers an injury though. I have no idea who should replace Bakhtiari if he ends up missing time this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Spriggs would start over Kolten Miller for sure.

The Raiders have played Miller at left tackle though. While he definitely struggled starting 16 games for Oakland last season Spriggs definitely wasn't any better as a rookie.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs getting cut wouldn’t bother me. Maybe he needs a change of scenery because he certainly has the athleticism. He’s been a real puzzle for me, and I’m sure, a lot of others including the GB coaching staff. Just seems like GB isn’t the place for him, and with the additions to the OL via FA and the draft, he looks to be the odd man out.
As others have pointed out Spriggs has, on a few occasions, shown some ability. Usually against inferior rushers though. Still, maybe our new OL coach can help him out. If not though, I certainly do not agree that because he is cheap; we should keep him. So I am agreeing with you except I am not sure a change of scenery by itself will do anything.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Spriggs gets one more shot in training camp. I remember reading something a while ago about how hard he's been working out and working on his craft this off season. We'll see.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Spriggs gets one more shot in training camp. I remember reading something a while ago about how hard he's been working out and working on his craft this off season. We'll see.

The Packers will definitely allow Spriggs to compete in camp. It's probable he will end up making the roster as well but there's a slim chance he ends up getting released before the start of the season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have pointed out Spriggs has, on a few occasions, shown some ability. Usually against inferior rushers though. Still, maybe our new OL coach can help him out. If not though, I certainly do not agree that because he is cheap; we should keep him. So I am agreeing with you except I am not sure a change of scenery by itself will do anything.
He's done well against good ones too. His problem is consistency and getting set up outside and then can't recover back inside sometimes. It's an issue to say the least. But even with consistency issues, he is at least as good or better than almost any back up we'd bring in to replace him AND he's cheap. he's not being kept because he's cheap.

Reaction score
I think you’ll see a rejuvenated Aaron who sees a new playbook
as unlimited opportunity and a Packer team that’s drinking the
Playoff koolaide!

He has to find a way of avoiding throwing the ball out-of-bounds because he don't trust
a certain receiver or there's no one open.

Also on a q.b. note, have you ever watch Patrick Mahomes throw the ball?
He scans the field, looks left, and releases the ball without looking to his right in the hands
of his receiver.
That a gift in itself.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to find a way of avoiding throwing the ball out-of-bounds because he don't trust
a certain receiver or there's know one open.
Last year was a culmination of things that led to what we saw. First, he was injured, 2nd he was injured and 3rd too. Couple that with 1 pass catcher on the offense that had any experience in the offense that was heavily reliant on multiple reads pre and post snap it throws off the timing. You can't throw to the middle, when you can't trust your timing. Those balls go straight into a defenders arms or get tipped to them. Then you go back to reasons 1,2, and 3 and not being able to step into throws meant some floated, you can't float a ball int he middle either. He was not driving balls like he usually does. Not often. When you don't have the ability to create stability with the lower half, the upper can only compensate for so long.

Everyone is going to have to take a step back on offense this year, it will make it simpler and i doubt it will be as heavily reliant on so many reads at every level of the play. and though it's new, most people now have a season together to have learned what is expected etc to make it in the NFL. They'll be better just from that. Last year was an anomaly.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do we need to have a great season?

some serious luck on the good side.

*Nobody* in the NFL has quality backup OT's
*Slight exaggeration to make a point. OL depth is at an all time low in the NFL.
i bet the teams with enormous cap space ($30m+) have it. ind, cle. they, at the very least, have the ability to deal with a crisis should it erupt.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This obsession with Spriggs is odd in a post about what the Packers need to have a great season. I'll just say, in a great season, neither Spriggs' play nor his salary cap hit will matter.

The Packers should, and most likely will, keep him around for another year because he's still young, was a second round pick, and (most importantly) you aren't getting anything better with his cap money.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is an obsession with Spriggs or odd to talk about him. The O line is to me the big worry going into the season. It was not meant to be a candyland scenario where starters never get hurt. Although I admit that the way we have thrown the ball is also a worry. It is just that ARod was hurt, the line sucked and imo the routes we ran were unsatisfactory due to coaching. So I think that as long as the O line keeps Rodgers right side up and if the O line creates some running holes; the passing will be very good. So I think the Spriggs question is appropriate. The cap money should not be in the conversation imho.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will hit me up with the stats, but I wouldn't put all the blame on the OL for Rodgers taking hits, he definitely brought some of those on himself by hanging on to the ball too long. Hopefully, MLF, Rogers and the Packer offense can figure that nuance out.

All that said, the starting OL as is, I would rate a pretty solid unit. Taking into account the normal injuries that most of the 32 teams have during the season, you just have to hope that the timing is such, that your backups are ready and you don't find yourself 3-4 deep on the depth chart at one position or having to use backups in 2-3 starting spots in the same games. One thing that seems to have dropped off in recent years is good OL development. Not sure if that was TT finding the wrong guys or Campen not doing his job, or a combination of both. Let's hope that the guys (players and coaches) that Gute has brought in can do a better job.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is an obsession with Spriggs or odd to talk about him. The O line is to me the big worry going into the season. It was not meant to be a candyland scenario where starters never get hurt. Although I admit that the way we have thrown the ball is also a worry. It is just that ARod was hurt, the line sucked and imo the routes we ran were unsatisfactory due to coaching. So I think that as long as the O line keeps Rodgers right side up and if the O line creates some running holes; the passing will be very good. So I think the Spriggs question is appropriate. The cap money should not be in the conversation imho.
depth at every position is a concern to all teams and the cap is very relevant as it affects a team's ability to acquire players, at all levels, and deal with injuries.
as for the Packers i think they're in the best shape they have been in several years at many positions including o-line. middle linebacker is not one of those positions though imo. if they make a trade, or cut someone to gain space, it'll be to address that position. just off the top of my head the cowboys happen to have a good mlb who's expendable now for a one year rental at about the same price as daniels (also free in a year). dallas could also use a starting dt. would anyone object to a lee for daniels straight up trade?

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, and with the new coaching staff, and the new competition, he should be allowed to compete for a roster spot. I’m not saying cut him now. I just doubt he’ll be on the final 53 come September. I hope I’m wrong and the new cast around him raises his game. GB needs all the cap-friendly help it can get.

Latest posts