What do we need going forward?

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Note to mods: I'm not sure if this belongs here or the general board)

Hey folks,

Well we had a massive let down, it's time we picked ourselves up and looked around and thought about what we needed. Admittedly compared to last year I'm optimistic that we can get things fixed, I'm just not sure how. Usually I can list about 10 guys in different spots I think we can use, but aside from two players (one may stay in college) who could really help us, so I'll start by going through which player positions I think we need to improve, and if there is a player there, I'll mention him. As always, throw in your own info, this year more than most I'm interested in opinions and facts, cause as I said, I didn't see much this year.

Inside Linebackers: Let's be honest we need to get ahold of about 10 just to get 2 good starters and a decent backup. I do like Bendarick McKinney here, but damnit we need that Nitschke/Butkus/Bowmann/Lewis guy. We need that mean guy, or that smart guy that knows where to be and how to get there through the soup. McKinney I think is aggressive, though I don't know about football intelligence. I also like Joe Schmidt of Notre Dame. Watched him play this year, smart player, good hitter.

Wide Receiver: No before you blow me up listen to the logic. Jordy is a good #1, and a great #2. Cobb is a great #3. We don't have the great #1. I only see one guy here who could help us and with us drafting around 30, I don't think we get Sammy Coates of Auburn. I will say though he looks like Megatron's little brother.

O-Line: We have Linsley who is learning, and that's great. Something about the Sitton/Lang combo doesn't pass the eye test, and hasn't for over a year. I think we need to get younger, and more aggressive here. I like Bakhtiari, but I'm also concerned about Bulaga, so we may need to draft a tackle as well. This is a position where I'm not sure I can give a name here, so anyone who would agree, I'd be glad to listen to names and any info you have here.

DBs: I'm not 100# sure on Burnett still, though I did see improvement, I think we need a better Nickel and Dime back to be honest. I don't think Heyward is doing the job anymore, and I could see keeping Hyde as the dime IF he were to also return punts, but we need upgrades.

I'm very interested in what everyone's opinions are on where we need to improve. I'm not just pigeon-holing this to the draft. If there are people in FA we can get without reaching too far money wise, I'd love to hear those names, in not only the areas I mentioned, but the areas everyone else believes need to be fixed.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We'll have 9 picks starting at either 29 or 30. Rookies should not be expected to be immediate stars but rather to play specific roles and create good depth when you're drafting where we are every year. Our best hope is for guys like Bradford, Thomas, Dix, Hyde, Goodson, Janis, Adams, R.Rodgers to show significant improvement next year. I'm the wrong guy to provide names for draft picks. The scouts and Thompson are good at sorting that out. We'll be fine if we get a couple of key guys re-signed and some of the first and second year guys make significant improvement. The core foundation is very strong.

D

Deleted member 6794

Inside Linebackers: Let's be honest we need to get ahold of about 10 just to get 2 good starters and a decent backup. I do like Bendarick McKinney here, but damnit we need that Nitschke/Butkus/Bowmann/Lewis guy. We need that mean guy, or that smart guy that knows where to be and how to get there through the soup. McKinney I think is aggressive, though I don't know about football intelligence. I also like Joe Schmidt of Notre Dame. Watched him play this year, smart player, good hitter.

I agree that ILB should be the Packers top priority in the draft. I would like to get McKinney but I´m not sure he will be there at #30.

Wide Receiver: No before you blow me up listen to the logic. Jordy is a good #1, and a great #2. Cobb is a great #3. We don't have the great #1. I only see one guy here who could help us and with us drafting around 30, I don't think we get Sammy Coates of Auburn. I will say though he looks like Megatron's little brother.

Nelson and Cobb combined for 189 catches for 2,806 yards and 25 TDs. They´re great #1 and #2 receivers and Adams has proven he´s capable of turning into a productive receiver as well. Thompson´s top priority this offseason is to re-sign Cobb. If he does receiver isn´t one of the Packers needs in this year´s draft.

O-Line: We have Linsley who is learning, and that's great. Something about the Sitton/Lang combo doesn't pass the eye test, and hasn't for over a year. I think we need to get younger, and more aggressive here. I like Bakhtiari, but I'm also concerned about Bulaga, so we may need to draft a tackle as well. This is a position where I'm not sure I can give a name here, so anyone who would agree, I'd be glad to listen to names and any info you have here.

Once again I´m not sure what you´re talking about as Sitton and Lang are one of the best guard tandems in the entire league. The Packers should re-sign Bulaga and maybe Barclay as well, wouldn´t mind drafting a developmental tackle as well in the later rounds.

DBs: I'm not 100# sure on Burnett still, though I did see improvement, I think we need a better Nickel and Dime back to be honest. I don't think Heyward is doing the job anymore, and I could see keeping Hyde as the dime IF he were to also return punts, but we need upgrades.

Burnett had a pretty good season and Clinton-Dix has shown a lot of promise. Cornerback could be a position of need depending on what happens with Williams and House.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maxx Williams
Duke Johnson
an ILB by day 2 of the draft
punting competition
New Special teams coach
Hubbard and Joe Thomas to take the #50 and #59 game jerseys.
Clay to give some money back. 12 would do it and I think has done it so clay should restructure as well to free up some cash for Tramon and House and Raji and Bulaga.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year's ILB crop is weak. I'm confident that McKinney, Perryman, and Kendricks are all off the board by the late 2nd round, which means if we don't take one in the 1st, I don't think we're finding any real solutions in this year's draft.

I actually agree that we need WR help. Jordy does what he does great. So does Cobb. And Adams is beginning to. What we lack, however, is a vertical threat that can just straight up beat guys without being open. Watching Dez just levitate and snatch balls over guys at will is impressive, and something we sorely lack. We need a legitimate vertical threat and endzone target. Guys like that are very rare, but there are a few maybes in this draft that we might be able to snag late 2nd. With another strong WR class this year, I could see Funchess or Green-Beckham being available.

DB depth, particularly a bigger cover corner type, will be needed as well. This early, I'm thinking a 3rd or 4th rounder. Someone like a Cam Thomas, or an Eric Rowe, or Ladarius Gunter. I'm no scout, and CBs are tough to make a call on. These are just a few guys with size that happen to also pass the eye test.

Later rounds picks I expect to see line depth both O and D and a RB.

Early thoughts, which will change with injuries, combine results, etc...
1- ILB
2- WR
3- CB
4- OT
5- DT
6+ RB/BPA

One thing that's worth being happy about, however, is that aside from ILB, the rest of our needs are mostly just for depth. That's pretty insane if you think about it.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In order:
Holy crap. The biggest question to be answered in the defensive backfield is do they re-sign Tramon vs. House, Tramon and House, etc. Heyward didn't match his rookie season but regarding concerns about the overall roster, he's way down the list IMO.
Wide Receiver: No before you blow me up listen to the logic. Jordy is a good #1, and a great #2. Cobb is a great #3. We don't have the great #1.
Holy Crap. That's not "logic" that's just your opinion. IMO they need to re-sign Cobb and I'm fine with going into next year with a legit #1 in Jordy, a legit #2 in Cobb, and an ascending Adams, a more knowledgeable and experienced Janis (I hope), a healthy Abbrederis, and draftees and UDFAs.
O-Line: We have Linsley who is learning, and that's great. Something about the Sitton/Lang combo doesn't pass the eye test, and hasn't for over a year. I think we need to get younger, and more aggressive here. I like Bakhtiari, but I'm also concerned about Bulaga, so we may need to draft a tackle as well.
HOLY CRAP. The OL was one of the great, positive surprises of the season! Linsley for a rookie was fantastic. As captainWIMM posted, Sitton and Lang are a great pair of guards. Bulaga came back from injury and was very good. And if I had to choose a weak spot in the OL it'd be Bakhtiari in the run game. They should draft OL but mostly for backups. Barclay should be back but I'd like to see them add an OT for the backup spot. Barclay also backed up at OG and Tretter should be a decent backup OL as well. If your "acumen" in analyzing draftees is equal to your evaluation of the OL, please send draft suggestions to Thompson - it'd be a great "contra-indicator": He could just cross those names off.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that at least one D-Lineman will be drafted in the first 4 rounds. We're rather thin there and Daniels contract expires after 15 season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR taken in the first 4 rounds. Lots of underclassmen WR coming out as well as CB's. Real bad year to draft QB imo. The QB play I saw in college football this year was the worst I've seen in many years.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No mention of a TE? Do whatever it takes to get Julius Thomas away from the Broncos. Adding a top TE to this offense would help ARod tremendously. Gotta keep Cobb obviously. There are too many big plays against this defense. I am not sure if Capers needs to go, or we need better DB's. TW doesn't seem to be like an elite CB to me.

I would also like McCarthy to give up the play calling. He is way too conservative, and has no killer instinct. He goes into Prevent Offense, way too early in games.

D

Deleted member 6794

No mention of a TE? Do whatever it takes to get Julius Thomas away from the Broncos. Adding a top TE to this offense would help ARod tremendously.

I agree the Packers could need a TE but I have a hard time believing the Broncos will let Julius Thomas walk away.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The off-season as usual will be very interesting. I'm actually looking forward to the annual panic attacks that will commence in mid March. Great entertainment!

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I haven't invested anytime into the draft prospects yet. Was too focused on winning the SB, BUT after the heartbreak, my focus is shifting onto the future.

I live right outside Chicago so hopefully I can go to the draft to see our #1 pick.

Without knowing who's out there, but knowing where we need obvious improvement i'll say this...

I think you should always try and fortify your trenches. I think we saw how an effective o-line can greatly improve your offense and yes WIN games. Our d-line was good at times and while I liked guion over Raji, I think we can get an upgrade at dt/nt in the draft. We saw how much stopping the run helped the defense late in the year. That was in large part due to sam barrignton and moving clay inside. Beefing up that d-line will only help guion if we re-sign him for a year and allow clay to do his thing on the outside—and heck he go inside once and awhile for the heck of it.

I'm always a fan of getting o-linemen for future development. We're at the point where having a good o-line could add extra years to Rodgers playing years which are dwindling. It's never a **** pick but TT has gotten some gems before in Linsley and Bulaga. Not saying waste a first or second round pick but later rounds i'm all for it.

I agree we need an ILB and I think thats the "sexiest" pick cause we obviously need improvement in that area. I'd love to see another star WR taken somewhat early. I know that sounds dumb but if someone falls (again no idea who's out there at this point) more competition at the WR position is good.

Lookin forward to getting some young talent on an already talented team

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ben Heeney ILB Kansas 5th rd projection.....oh my....he looks like clay playing ILB. Yes please. This is just 1 game from the 2013 season as there isn't a draft compilation up yet. It gets good around 1:30 as they spend an entire minute replaying a nice INT. Get Perryman on day 2 and him on day 3 and the ILB stable along with Barrington will be in business.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Dawson from TCU is a good ILB too. I wouldn't mind him.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got to put a Perryman clip up too because good lord can this kid hit and be in the right place at the right time. He looks like he is already on the Ravens.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got to put a Perryman clip up too because good lord can this kid hit and be in the right place at the right time. He looks like he is already on the Ravens.

He would make our D more physical.

My wish list at ILB is either Perryman or Paul Dawson.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard Dawson may not be "packer material". Heeney was a captain I believe and Perryman has always been spoken highly of IIRC. I need to know more about Dawson's off field issues.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard Dawson may not be "packer material". Heeney was a captain I believe and Perryman has always been spoken highly of IIRC. I need to know more about Dawson's off field issues.

He was the leader of that great TCU defense. His mother is a lawyer. He comes from a good family. I am not sure if he has off the field issues? Its news to me if he does. I live down the road from TCU actually.

The dude is FAST. I am talking 4.4 40 fast and hes 6-2 235. TCU plays a lot of 4-3 and 3-4 both. He single handily wrecked Ole Miss in that Bowl game. He had 24 tackles against Baylor earlier in the season. He also had that highlight reel pick six against Oklahoma earlier this past season too that broke that 31-31 tie in the 4th quarter. It was a point blank INT and he took it 50 yards to the house for a TD.

I think he'll end up being one of the more underrated players come draft time that gets a lot of attention and his stock will rise as the draft approaches.

The reason he isn't as widely known right now, is due to the fact that he plays in the Big 12. The Big 12 isn't exactly known for good defenses, but believe me, Gary Patterson and TCU knows how to play defense.

Paul Dawson is a winner.

D

Deleted member 6794

He was the leader of that great TCU defense. His mother is a lawyer. He comes from a good family. I am not sure if he has off the field issues? Its news to me if he does. I live down the road from TCU actually.

The dude is FAST. I am talking 4.4 40 fast and hes 6-2 235. TCU plays a lot of 4-3 and 3-4 both. He single handily wrecked Ole Miss in that Bowl game. He had 24 tackles against Baylor earlier in the season. He also had that highlight reel pick six against Oklahoma earlier this past season too that broke that 31-31 tie in the 4th quarter. It was a point blank INT and he took it 50 yards to the house for a TD.

I think he'll end up being one of the more underrated players come draft time that gets a lot of attention and his stock will rise as the draft approaches.

The reason he isn't as widely known right now, is due to the fact that he plays in the Big 12. The Big 12 isn't exactly known for good defenses, but believe me, Gary Patterson and TCU knows how to play defense.

Paul Dawson is a winner.

I´m not sure Dawson projects as an ILB in the NFL.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perryman, Heeney, and Dawson are the three backers that I love in this draft. Ideally I'd like to come away with 2 of the 2 as Heeney and Dawson are lower round projections.

I'm a Kansas fan so I will give a little background on Heeney. He was a walk on from Hutchinson, Ks where he won 3 straight state titles. His true freshman year(not many walk ons play as a true freshman) he was a special teams stud for Kansas and filled in on defense some. His sophomore year he moved to Ilb and florished, he wasn't overly technically sound but he used his athletism to get 112 total tackles and earn second team all Big 12 honors. His junior year he turned up a notch with learning the position. Despite missing 2 games he finished with 88 tackles and 3 ints. Was 5th in the confernce in tackles for loss. He again earned 2nd team all Big 12. His senior year he had his best season winning first team All Big 12 with 127 tackles, 88 of which were solo tackles. At Texas Tech he racked up 21 tackles 17 were solo and and int. He's undersized but really athletic and hard nose player.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the scouting report!!!

Thats why I like that guy. He would compliment a big thumper like Barrington very well IMO. Get a rotation of 2 of those three you mentioned along with Barrington and a weakness could become a strength of this team.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@henheeney is his personal twitter handle and a Kansas sponsored version is @captainheeney for the twitter guys.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do we need going forward? A new, more aggressive attitude.

As for drafts, I've seen a lot of mock drafts with us taking Malcolm Brown in round 1. He's got a lot of upside, and if we aren't bringing Raji back, that'd be a pretty darn good pick. But if we haven't taken an ILB by the end of the 2nd round we're in trouble again.

Here's what I've heard about the top ILBs:

Bernardrick McKinney. He seems to have the most complete skill set and the athleticism to be a solid ILB.
Perryman. Hard hitter, great against the run but not very fast.
Kendricks. Many feel this guy is underrated, which many change with the Combine. Very athletic, fast, a bit undersized.

McKinney is likely gone by #30. Permian and Kendricks may very well both be gone by #62. Kendricks seems to be trending up, Perryman down.

Then you have Ramik Wilson and Troy DePriest. DePriest I know nothing about. Wilson is very althletic and can be explosive but doesn't shed blocks well.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for drafts, I've seen a lot of mock drafts with us taking Malcolm Brown in round 1. He's got a lot of upside, and if we aren't bringing Raji back, that'd be a pretty darn good pick.

I guess you're talking about Malcom Brown (DT from Texas) as we don't need another RB (Malcolm Brown who played for Texas as well).

Then you have Ramik Wilson and Troy DePriest. DePriest I know nothing about.

DePriest is the next coming of A.J. Hawk, no thanks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for Dline, LInebackers, DB's, TE/OL, WR's/RB's. I'd prefer the first 2, but really just take the best available. I don't watch enough college football to know who's worth a crap or not.

Members online

Latest posts