What do we need going forward?

Reaction score
Not sure what draft selections we will be awarded. but as long as we are dreaming.
ILB, DT, OG, OT, ILB yes, again.
We need to strengthen the nucleus of the Defense and be willing to trade up to get an ILB that becomes a household name. If we can shore up that then I'd concentrate on giving AR adequate protection and depth on the O-line.
Not necessarily in that order. But a priority left to right

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was the leader of that great TCU defense. His mother is a lawyer. He comes from a good family.

I am in NO way attempting to be flammatory here. By your logic Marcus Trotter of Wisconsin projects well as an ILB because his father is an orthopedic surgeon, and his mother is a rheumatologist, and by blood line he would know how to break bones?

And yes I read the rest of your post, and not sure if I agree. I don't care how big or little the guy is or how fast he runs. Can he cover? WILL he hit? Can he intimidate? That's what I need in a linebacker! That's what I THOUGHT we had in Hawk when he came in as a rookie.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Klatt's Big Board is very interesting:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-draft-top-50-player-rankings-joel-klatt-big-board-012015

Interesting is how highly he rates the 5 guys that I could see the Packers taking at #30: DTs Malcolm Brown and Eddie Goldman, and ILBs McKinney, Kendricks, and Perryman.

I'm particular intrigued by Kendricks. Some had him rated as a late 2nd rounder, but it seems that more and more are impressed with his athleticism and explosiveness. He might kill at the Combine and leap-frog McKinney.

I guess Kendricks would be my initial pick for the Packers at #30, but if they ended up with any of the other 4, I wouldn't be upset.

If we lose Bulaga to FA, I could see the Packers going after Ty Sambrailo in round 2. Might have to trade up though. Although I don't know how well Sambrailo did at the Senior Bowl. Anyone know what the word on him was at the SB?

D

Deleted member 6794

Joe Klatt's Big Board is very interesting:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-draft-top-50-player-rankings-joel-klatt-big-board-012015

Interesting is how highly he rates the 5 guys that I could see the Packers taking at #30: DTs Malcolm Brown and Eddie Goldman, and ILBs McKinney, Kendricks, and Perryman.

I'm particular intrigued by Kendricks. Some had him rated as a late 2nd rounder, but it seems that more and more are impressed with his athleticism and explosiveness. He might kill at the Combine and leap-frog McKinney.

I´d rather don´t put too much stock into the Combine. McKinney is widely considered to be the best ILB in this year´s draft and I would be excited if he would still be around at #30.

If we lose Bulaga to FA, I could see the Packers going after Ty Sambrailo in round 2. Might have to trade up though. Although I don't know how well Sambrailo did at the Senior Bowl. Anyone know what the word on him was at the SB?

Really tough to answer that as the Senior Bowl will be played on Saturday. Here´s what Matt Bowen had to say about him during the second day of practice for the game though:

Sambrailo struggled with his footwork during Tuesday’s session. I would describe it as “choppy” when the Colorado State product kicked-back off the line. This is where he has to win with his initial punch given his lack of fluid movement.

A player with average strength, Sambrailo (6’6”, 307 lbs) needs to develop his footwork and stay square at the point of attack. This will allow him to win more one-on-one matchups.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´d rather don´t put too much stock into the Combine. McKinney is widely considered to be the best ILB in this year´s draft and I would be excited if he would still be around at #30.

Really tough to answer that as the Senior Bowl will be played on Saturday. Here´s what Matt Bowen had to say about him during the second day of practice for the game though:

Sambrailo struggled with his footwork during Tuesday’s session. I would describe it as “choppy” when the Colorado State product kicked-back off the line. This is where he has to win with his initial punch given his lack of fluid movement.

A player with average strength, Sambrailo (6’6”, 307 lbs) needs to develop his footwork and stay square at the point of attack. This will allow him to win more one-on-one matchups.

McKinney will most likely be the first ILB off the board, which is why I mentioned Kendricks. Report doesn't seem very good on Sambrailo. I know he's playing RT again after a long time, so he's not comfortable there at present. Have to see how he does in the game.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McKinney will most likely be the first ILB off the board, which is why I mentioned Kendricks. Report doesn't seem very good on Sambrailo. I know he's playing RT again after a long time, so he's not comfortable there at present. Have to see how he does in the game.

I've just never been impressed with McKinney. He looks like a guy that struggles with fluidity and his stats never back up his hype. He only had 66 tackles in 13 games. I could be wrong but he just looks like a bust to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've just never been impressed with McKinney. He looks like a guy that struggles with fluidity and his stats never back up his hype. He only had 66 tackles in 13 games. I could be wrong but he just looks like a bust to me.

McKinney rushed off the edge for Mississippi State as well, probably that´s why he doesn´t have as many tackles as other ILBs. He will for sure have to improve his coverage skills at the NFL level.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Dawson will be the best LB coming out of this upcoming draft. That is my prediction.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Dawson will be the best LB coming out of this upcoming draft. That is my prediction.

Whether Dawson could make the transition to ILB is the question, unless the Packers want to draft him as an OLB, which many not be a bad idea considering that Peppers is around for 1 more year max. But that means you've got Clay/Perry/Neal at the OLB position. Unless the Packers plan on moving Clay around ILB/OLB like they did this year, OLB is not a position of need.

He's certainly an intriguing prospect. Getting rid of Hawk and Jones, drafting an ILB in the 1st and Dawson in the 3rd if he's still on the board could work out real well. He very well may be gone by the #94 however, and I'm not sure it's worth taking a chance on him with the #62 pick unless he really shows something at the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

H

HardRightEdge

I've just never been impressed with McKinney. He looks like a guy that struggles with fluidity....
I'm seeing that in McKinney's clips as well. Everybody sees the height and sub-4.6 speed and gets excited, but there's something about the way he moves and tackles that makes me want to say "pass". I could be wrong, but he looks to me like a very fast, undersized DE.

Everybody enjoys watching Perryman blow up ball carriers, but I'm equally impressed with his angles and closing speed. There's little doubt he's an instinctual and hard hitting player. My concern is that he might be too much of a downhill and straight-line player. Combine that with his height and one wonders how he'd handle NFL TEs in coverage. If the object is to get Matthews out of the middle in nickel, coverage skills are paramount. Evidently Perryman was opening some eyes in the Senior Bowl practices. Unfortunately, he strained an abdominal and will miss the game. I would have liked to see more of him handling coverages.

In any event, I think we have a sufficient physical presence in the middle with Barrington; a more versatile player would be the answer. So far I like Kendricks the best of the leading candidates. He looks like more of flow player than an attacker, while being a fundamentally sound tackler, which looks like the right compliment to Barrington. He looks decent in coverage from what I've seen; he looks to be reading the QB well; he's probably a few ticks faster than Barrington, or Perryman for that matter. Just a polished all-around player.

The only negatives I see are (1) his height and (2) the fact he might be a stretch at #30 and may not be around at #60.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I think we all know we need DL, ILB, and OL depth. Possibly a CB and TE. However, if Cobb leaves, do you think we are set at WR.

I wish Dorial Green-Beckham wasn't such a cancer because this guy has the potential to be in the Megatron, DT, and Brandon Marshall range. If I knew he could turn his attitude around to play for us, I would sell my kidney for him to be on this team.

H

HardRightEdge

So I think we all know we need DL, ILB, and OL depth. Possibly a CB and TE. However, if Cobb leaves, do you think we are set at WR.

I wish Dorial Green-Beckham wasn't such a cancer because this guy has the potential to be in the Megatron, DT, and Brandon Marshall range. If I knew he could turn his attitude around to play for us, I would sell my kidney for him to be on this team.
What would you do with the $262,000?

http://rev967.com/how-much-is-your-kidney-worth-on-the-black-market/

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true... My kidneys have also seen to much alcohol so I doubt they'd even be worth that much. Anyway, here's a kid I wouldn't mind getting.

Maxx Williams:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether Dawson could make the transition to ILB is the question, unless the Packers want to draft him as an OLB, which many not be a bad idea considering that Peppers is around for 1 more year max. But that means you've got Clay/Perry/Neal at the OLB position. Unless the Packers plan on moving Clay around ILB/OLB like they did this year, OLB is not a position of need.

He's certainly an intriguing prospect. Getting rid of Hawk and Jones, drafting an ILB in the 1st and Dawson in the 3rd if he's still on the board could work out real well. He very well may be gone by the #94 however, and I'm not sure it's worth taking a chance on him with the #62 pick unless he really shows something at the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

Dawson played ILB at TCU. That was his natural position. But Patterson played him all over the field because of his speed. Dawson even played some Safety, DE and OLB too.

He had 24 tackles in a single game against Baylor this past season, and THAT is hard to do considering how much Baylor throws the ball.

Reaction score
I'm liking Shilique Calhoun. Although he works as OLB in a 3-4. He's got impressive results as a run stopper. Solid tackling skills. he has the size to convert inside and has a good sniffer
Brandon Spikes would be a good pickup in FA also and I think would be a very good fit against the run. I'd like to see Jamari back also he was looking promising and at very least is good depth at LB. These are all doable without crushing our cap space and giving up valuable picks trading up to acquire them. I wouldn't have my feelings hurt if Brad was gone and Hawk is like a waning moon that won't go full. I think Clay is Clay and as the middle LB provides a threat to either side of the field. in hindsite I think our weakness was a cocktail of scheme placement AND rawtalent. These additions bring the latter to the table

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Dawson played ILB at TCU. That was his natural position. But Patterson played him all over the field because of his speed. Dawson even played some Safety, DE and OLB too.

He had 24 tackles in a single game against Baylor this past season, and THAT is hard to do considering how much Baylor throws the ball.
I looked at some of Dawson's clips. Perhaps I caught him on a bad day, but I don't think so. When playing downhill in run defense from the ILB position, I saw him being handled, even by TEs. Put less technically, he tends to get bounced back out of the trash.

I don't see him as either an ILB (except as a cover guy on passing downs) or an edge rusher. More like a 4-3 OLB or a utility guy.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Maxx Williams as well but I also think one of those top ILB's is imperative and its going to be a task and a half for TT to trade picks around to get Maxx and Perryman or Kendricks.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really a guy that I think would be in the mix for us since his stock has risen too far and too fast. Also NT may not be a critical need depending on what Guion and Raji do, but just out of appreciation for his unique size and speed, it's worth watching some Danny Shelton film. Man he moves good for a refrigerator.

D

Deleted member 6794

ILB Stephone Anthony, out of Clemson, has impressed in Senior Bowl practices so far. Here's Charles Davis' take on him:

Miami's Denzel Perryman was the most highly regarded of the inside linebackers in Mobile this week, and deservedly so. But Anthony made quite a name for himself, too. He can flat-out run, making plays sideline to sideline. I loved watching him. When Anthony diagnoses and reacts, look out. I was really impressed watching him retreat into coverage and break on the ball. He's a tremendous athlete.

H

HardRightEdge

ILB Stephone Anthony, out of Clemson, has impressed in Senior Bowl practices so far. Here's Charles Davis' take on him:

Miami's Denzel Perryman was the most highly regarded of the inside linebackers in Mobile this week, and deservedly so. But Anthony made quite a name for himself, too. He can flat-out run, making plays sideline to sideline. I loved watching him. When Anthony diagnoses and reacts, look out. I was really impressed watching him retreat into coverage and break on the ball. He's a tremendous athlete.
More Senior Bowl practice buzz on Anthony:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...ior-Bowl/0a39c13e-fa94-43bd-80da-2f7cb164b6b7

Haven't seen the game yet; I've got it recorded for viewing this week.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was any thoughts in the Front Office of replacing Kuhn sooner than later....the cat from Yale looked pretty darn good in the Kuhn role. Supposedly he was a superb blocker and receiver and not a bad runner while being a high motor guy. Kuhn had a very nice season but this guy looks like he can do his job eventually and do it while being far more athletic and an actual threat.

H

HardRightEdge

Not really a guy that I think would be in the mix for us since his stock has risen too far and too fast. Also NT may not be a critical need depending on what Guion and Raji do, but just out of appreciation for his unique size and speed, it's worth watching some Danny Shelton film. Man he moves good for a refrigerator.

Yeah, that's some man-against-boys stuff. I think he shed more blocks in 2 minutes of highlights than Raji managed in two seasons. It seems everybody's got him mocked at #20 or higher. 340 lb. men with quick feet and hips for a big man are awfully hard to come by. Reminds me of a young Gilbert Brown.

He's getting Senior Bowl buzz too:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-danny-shelton-among-10-senior-bowl-standouts

A base front of Guion-Shelton-Daniels would be formidable, with Guion moving to what looks more like his natural position than the 2 gap NT we had him playing. Shelton looks like he could do some pocket collapsing in nickel as well.

We can dream. If he's on the board at #30 by some strange circumstance, forget all thoughts of ILBs in the first round. Maybe when he takes his shirt off at the Combine he'll be declared a "bad body" and we get a shot at him. Wishful thinking.

H

HardRightEdge

If there was any thoughts in the Front Office of replacing Kuhn sooner than later....the cat from Yale looked pretty darn good in the Kuhn role. Supposedly he was a superb blocker and receiver and not a bad runner while being a high motor guy. Kuhn had a very nice season but this guy looks like he can do his job eventually and do it while being far more athletic and an actual threat.
I looked at some clips on this guy. The thing that jumps out are those quick feet. The feet and the 5'10" frame reminds me a bit of those low slung and quick-footed slot receivers that have come and gone in New England. I dunno about his hands, but the feet, the 4.6 speed and 230 lbs. might make for an H-Back weapon in the passing game. Looks like the kind of guy who'd be of value in kick coverage.

He's small by NFL standards for a true FB; more of athletic RB/H-Back tweener. I've seen some comments that he may have the best build of anybody at the Senior Bowl...chiseled...so I'd not expect him to build up from where he is. I'd certainly want to consider him if he falls to the 7th. round or free agency. That means he'll go out and lift 30 at the Combine and get taken in the 5th. round. ;)

Latest posts