What Cost Us The Game? [POLL]

What was the biggest nail in the coffin for the Pack yesterday?

• Red Zone Offense

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Conservative Coaching

Votes: 47 43.9%
  • Burnett Going Down With the Last INT

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Bostick Onside Kick Miscue

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Clinton - Dix Watching the 2 Pt Conversion

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that we need another thred about this game, but it was a pretty spectacular loss. the Packers had it in the bag. A lot of things went right for the Hawks at the end. There was a lot that contributed to the collapse, what do you think was the #1 cause for the loss? My vote is between the Not To Lose coaching and Burnett with the slide. the slide makes absolutely no sense. WHYYYY

What do you blame it on?

Montezumasdaddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the above. You could also add rushing 2 on 3rd and a mile and having no safeties back when the only thing that ends your season is getting beat over the top.

Reaction score
This is actually one of theose polls where there is no wrong answer because they were all responsible for the loss. If the Packers execute and prevent just ONE of those things from happening they win the game

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This looks like a good place to post this. Not trying to throw salt on the wounds here. But if you want to know why the Packers lost these are the numbers for the Seattle offense for the last 6 minutes of the game including the OT as opposed to the first 56 minutes of the game.

Wilson Passing.
First 56 minutes of the game.
22 att 8 comp 75 yards 3.4 ypa 0 Td's 4 int. rating 7.0
Final 6 minutes
7 att 6 comp 134 yards 19.1 ypa 1 Td 0 int. rating 158.3

Seattle rushing.
First 56 minutes
27 attempts 125 yards 4.6 ypa 0 TD's
Final 6 minutes
8 attempts 69 yards, 8.6 ypa 2 TD's

Total offense
First 56 minutes.
219 yards 4.1 yards per play.
Final 6 minutes
203 yards 11.9 yards per play.

203 yards of total offense in 6 minutes. 48.1% of their offense for the entire game in the final 6 minutes including OT. Now who is to blame for that? That is all on the defense. Defensive play calling? The players? This is a complete meltdown of the Packers defense. For whatever reason.

The three and out and 30 yard punt didn't help. If there was ever a time for booming punt that was it.

As to the poll, I would say MM not trusting his players to pick up 1 yard 3 times and settling for field goals. Conservative play calling. If he make 2 out of three, that's 14 points as opposed to 9.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were probably a dozen plays that could have been listed if you also count the dropped passes, but for me the tide turned when we handed off three times with what appeared to be no desire to get a first down. It was like taking a knee with five minutes left. Sigh.....

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I selected other because you are missing the most obvious and ONLY correct answer. That answer is all of the above. Not a single one of those things cost us the game, all of them cost us the game along with other things.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't upset or worried until that that onside kick. after that mishap, I just had a spear jammed into my heart. funny thing is RIGHT at the moment of the onside kick I was interrupted by my daughter because something was wrong with the laptop. I knew I should have been glued to the tv and not jinxed it! LOL

Zeke

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that we need another thred about this game, but it was a pretty spectacular loss. the Packers had it in the bag. A lot of things went right for the Hawks at the end. There was a lot that contributed to the collapse, what do you think was the #1 cause for the loss? My vote is between the Not To Lose coaching and Burnett with the slide. the slide makes absolutely no sense. WHYYYY

What do you blame it on?

I seen the Packers celebrating on the sidelines with over 4 minutes to go....You don't do that in the NFL....That may be why they lost!

Kramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My vote conservative coaching. That is something that we could have controlled. Knowing Seattle can score points so quickly we chose in the 3rd and 4th quarter to sit on the ball and not take chances to increase our lead. Add to that the choice to kick on 4th and goal twice in the first half instead of going for 6 kept them in the game. I bet on the ride back AR sat as far as he could from MM.

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Red Zone failures...

FACT: Special Teams have been awful for years
FACT: Defense, while they showed up tail end of the season, has not been a lock for a solid performance for years
FACT: High powered offense has been the lifeblood of this team for years

Many failures yesterday but not executing in the strongest phase of our game multiple times in a championship situation was the biggest one.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What do you blame it on?
I don't understand the vitriol against Brandon Bostick. Do we want to be regarded as shameful as Boston fans? Brandon Bostick does not deserve to become our own Bill Buckner. And we as fans don't need that either. Bostick, like every other Packer, left everything out on the field yesterday, and we need to be proud of our boys.

NO, the guy who is responsible for losing the game yesterday is Offensive Coordinator Tom Clements, who twice refused to go for it on 4th Down and goal. Lacy is a great runner, but Seattle keyed in on him and shut him down. Clements, stubbornly refused to vary the offensive plays to spread out the Seattle defense, which would have made it easier for our offense to exploit gaps.

But there is something much more troubling about Tom Clements. He does not play to win. He plays not to lose. Is that the Lombardi winning tradition of the great Green Bay Packers? NEVER. Lombardi would have cringed at the gutless offensive play calling yesterday.

Even the Dom Capers, Defensive Coordinator, shares some of the blame, advising our defensive back to slide to a stop rather than running back an interception late in the 4th quarter.

Mike McCarthy needs to take the off season to rethink his coaching philosophy, and his game strategy that he'll employ next season. We would be wise to consult the ghost of Vince Lombardi. After that, his first action should be to fire Tom Clements.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My vote conservative coaching. That is something that we could have controlled. Knowing Seattle can score points so quickly we chose in the 3rd and 4th quarter to sit on the ball and not take chances to increase our lead. Add to that the choice to kick on 4th and goal twice in the first half instead of going for 6 kept them in the game. I bet on the ride back AR sat as far as he could from MM.
Absolutely. But why is it we name names when a player misses the ball, but we don't name names on coaches? I'll do it here: Tom Clements. He needs to be fired.

Last edited:

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were probably a dozen plays that could have been listed if you also count the dropped passes, but for me the tide turned when we handed off three times with what appeared to be no desire to get a first down. It was like taking a knee with five minutes left. Sigh.....
Yep. Bad coaching. Even the failure to score inside the Red Zone was due, not to the inability of our offense, but to a very limited playbook relying too heavily on Eddie Lacy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can I mention the BEST moment of a bleak day? A picture of the hundreds of Sea Hawk fans outside the stadium that had left after the Burnett interception.....seems like getting home 10 minutes early was more important then witnessing possibly the most exciting game in NFC championship history

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We scored one TD all day and I believe we punted only 3 times while getting 5 Seattle turnovers. With the field position we had and the way the offense was moving the chains in the first half we should have had a 27-0 half time lead. Game should have been over.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I put it on the Bostick play because nothing else needed to change. He wasn't hit, it wasn't jarred loose, he just whiffed. Do your job, block or catch, i don't care what it was, but it's not like Seattle made any sort of a play, yet they did. Field that ball cleanly and it's game over.

Go for a TD on 4th and one and Seattle stuffs you again and the next play Lynch busts off 40 and the crowd goes nuts, the entire team goes beast mode and it's 7-3 with all the momentum going with Seattle before we know it. Early in the game it could have easily happened. Getting seattle out of their game plan was a direct result of going on some sustained drives and getting points. We don't do that, i'm sure some of those later INT's wouldn't have happened either.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy needs to take the off season to rethink his coaching philosophy, and his game strategy that he'll employ...
Looking at next year's schedule, he may have no choice but to rethink his coaching philosophy, whether he likes it or not.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Red Zone failures...

FACT: Special Teams have been awful for years
FACT: Defense, while they showed up tail end of the season, has not been a lock for a solid performance for years
FACT: High powered offense has been the lifeblood of this team for years

Many failures yesterday but not executing in the strongest phase of our game multiple times in a championship situation was the biggest one.

You're absolutely right. Capers played well for 55 minutes. That is way more than you can ask of him, it wasn't his fault for collapsing the last 5 minutes. I would have expected him to collapse for a full 60 minutes.

Our supposedly great offense once again failed against a good defense. This is the most overrated offense in history.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We scored one TD all day and I believe we punted only 3 times while getting 5 Seattle turnovers. With the field position we had and the way the offense was moving the chains in the first half we should have had a 27-0 half time lead. Game should have been over.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the above. The main culprit was the Offense. With the D handing them the ball 4 times plus ST handing them the ball once the score should have been 30+ to 0 at the half. I kept getting a bad feeling that the lack of TD's off of those turn-overs would bite us in the rear.

The D play a solid 55 minutes of ball and put the O in great spots to seal the deal. The last 5 minute debacle should have just been the hawks playing for pride.

Members online

Latest posts