What Cost Us The Game? [POLL]

What was the biggest nail in the coffin for the Pack yesterday?

• Red Zone Offense

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Conservative Coaching

Votes: 47 43.9%
  • Burnett Going Down With the Last INT

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Bostick Onside Kick Miscue

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Clinton - Dix Watching the 2 Pt Conversion

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Whoever called "tails" should be drawn, quartered and traded to Jacksonville or Minnesota.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that we need another thred about this game, but it was a pretty spectacular loss. the Packers had it in the bag. A lot of things went right for the Hawks at the end. There was a lot that contributed to the collapse, what do you think was the #1 cause for the loss? My vote is between the Not To Lose coaching and Burnett with the slide. the slide makes absolutely no sense. WHYYYY

What do you blame it on?
It was conservative coaching and the coaches on the sidelines signaled for Burnett to slide. What does our OC do during the game?

Zeke

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that we need another thred about this game, but it was a pretty spectacular loss. the Packers had it in the bag. A lot of things went right for the Hawks at the end. There was a lot that contributed to the collapse, what do you think was the #1 cause for the loss? My vote is between the Not To Lose coaching and Burnett with the slide. the slide makes absolutely no sense. WHYYYY

What do you blame it on?

I think it was Rodgers fault for calling the coin flip in OT wrong :)

Jeff armstrong

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite all of the what ifs that happened through the first 55 minutes , the Pack still held a 12 point lead and had the ball. According to ESPN stats ,they had a 96.1 % chance of winning at that point. That is all you could ask for as a team or fan in this game. It is from this point forward that every aspect of the game broke down for the Pack. Overly conservative coaching offensively , ineffective coaching and execution defensively, undisciplined special teams play and player's making poor decisions and not executing . By appearances , the players and coaches all believed or wanted to believe that enough had been done and the game was in hand , but it wasn't and when this was realized, anxiety set in and the team as a whole could not think clearly and make the right decisions and execute as needed at the most crucial time. No one stepped up to refocus the team on the task at hand and lead the team to victory. This was what the coaching staff was there to do but did not.

canMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What do you blame it on?
MM coaching not to lose instead of playing to win. You can't win playing scared. MM is the anchor on the player necks. If your team can't score from the 1 yard line for three straight weeks come up with a better play and practicevit. Cost us the season and Super Bowl seasons are like hen's teeth. Can MM!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and i'd like to mention the fake FG that pretty much gave seattle momentum in their favor especially at home for the fourth quarter. imagine if packer's were anticipating a fake they could have gone into the fourth with seahawks scoreless. how can you not anticipate a fake with a desperate team this good being scoreless in 3 quarters? they had nothing to lose, and a FG would not have won it for them. I suppose conservative coaching would have benefited them on that play. lol

Thank god I didn't see the second half, by how on gods green earth do you let a team convert a fake field goal in the NFL?

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What do you blame it on?

I blame Russell Wilson for playing about as well as a human being can in the last 5 minutes or so. His passer rating in the last minutes was something crazy like 158 something.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank god I didn't see the second half, by how on gods green earth do you let a team convert a fake field goal in the NFL?

they knew brad jones took outside edge to hard to block kicks...

if he was on the field, they did the fake, if not on the field they kick the fg

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only blame I'd lay at McCarthy's feet in this game was running the ball three times with 5 minutes on the clock.
Agree completely. And the magnitude of that mistake was even more obvious watching us quickly move the ball down the field for the last field goal.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I've only been following the Packers since 2009, you guys have forgotten more about football than I will ever know but I chose "Bostic onside kick miscue." What I've learned in my short time as a Packer fan and as a fan of the NFL in general, is that many things happen during the course of a game, penalties, bad play calling, turnovers, etc. Many times a game comes down to 1 or 2 plays at crucial points in the game, that's when players have to step up, MAKE those plays when they present themselves, that's the difference between champions and also rans. Bostic blew it when his team needed him most, that was THE most crucial play and THE most crucial point in the game. I feel bad for him and I know he wishes he could have made the play but the fact remains, that was the turning point in the game and the Packers came up short.
One theory is that all NFL games are decided by 5-6 key plays. Those plays make the difference in who wins and who doesn't. If you go through each game you can pick 5-6 plays that make a difference. Only problem is, your 5-6 might be different than mine. Except maybe in this game.

Terry Ott

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost 2/3rds of us voted for Conservative Coaching and Red Zone Offense (combined) while the other 1/3rd chose individual screw ups. And there were a few "others" as well, and some of those were explained by voters as "a combination of things listed".

I think the 2/3s were right, plus the "a combination" people. Every team in every NFL game has more than one "screw up" (stupid penalty, careless ball carrier, shanked punt, blown assignment on a deep pass, bad snap or hold or place kick, and on and on). The thing that overcomes these screw ups is to keep the engine in high gear and look for ways to take advantage of the other teams' weaknesses, injuries, mistakes, and mismatches --- and use imaginative and creative play calling, mixed in with "what's been working" on both offense and defense until the game is TOTALLY out of reach.

In other words, a few screw ups by individuals are GOING to happen. You just have to hope that the nature and number of them is "fairly normal", and that they don't happen when your margin of error is very thin. And how can you be sure the margin of error is wider? Offense in the red zone (7 vs 3 or 0) and aggressive coaching with adjustments on offense and defense, that's how. And a couple of BIG plays that have everyone thinking "where did they come up with THAT?" at key moments to take back any momentum before it totally erodes away.

Unlike some teams, the GB Packers HAVE the tools to do the things to create wide margins of error that will overcome the eventual and inevitable screw ups. But you have to use those tools and execute them with a vengeance. We didn't do that all the way to the 0:00 point.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost 2/3rds of us voted for Conservative Coaching and Red Zone Offense (combined) while the other 1/3rd chose individual screw ups. And there were a few "others" as well, and some of those were explained by voters as "a combination of things listed".

I think the 2/3s were right, plus the "a combination" people. Every team in every NFL game has more than one "screw up" (stupid penalty, careless ball carrier, shanked punt, blown assignment on a deep pass, bad snap or hold or place kick, and on and on). The thing that overcomes these screw ups is to keep the engine in high gear and look for ways to take advantage of the other teams' weaknesses, injuries, mistakes, and mismatches --- and use imaginative and creative play calling, mixed in with "what's been working" on both offense and defense until the game is TOTALLY out of reach.

In other words, a few screw ups by individuals are GOING to happen. You just have to hope that the nature and number of them is "fairly normal", and that they don't happen when your margin of error is very thin. And how can you be sure the margin of error is wider? Offense in the red zone (7 vs 3 or 0) and aggressive coaching with adjustments on offense and defense, that's how. And a couple of BIG plays that have everyone thinking "where did they come up with THAT?" at key moments to take back any momentum before it totally erodes away.
You are so totally on the mark with that post. I remember the great Vince Lombardi. While he wasn't reckless, he was a creative and aggressive offensive coach. About every third game he came up with a play you would never expect. (Once on first and ten from the 20 yard line, the VERY FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME, Bart Starr threw a bomb for a touchdown.) McCarthy is no Vince Lombardi, and strict adherence to his stubborn conservative "strategy" is more important to him than winning.

sdzm961

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Karma for that hit on Wilson? That one cheap shot is what did it. How about that instead of blaming the coach?
That is when the game changed.

lugnut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team, as long as they're coached by Mike McCarthy, will always be a playoff team. But they ARE NOT, and NEVER WILL BE, a championship team. That will hold as long as Mike McCarthy is calling plays for the Packers. That's for eternity...unless McCarthy has an epiphany. Don't hold your breath.
You hit the nail on the head............ all season team sucks in red zone that's poor coaching !

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m absolutely fine with the way McCarthy prepared his team for the game and the way he called the offensive plays for 55 minutes as we had a comfortable lead at that point. Yes, that even includes kicking a FG twice on fourth-and-1 from the one yard line. While it´s possible to question those calls the players deserve some blame as well as they weren´t able to pound it in from inside the 10 yard line a total of six times.

Once again I can´t explain what happened within the last five minutes and overtime and McCarthy, Capers and Slocum deserve blame for giving away the game, but the various doomsday scenarios being posted here if we hold on to MM being posted on here are unwarranted IMO.

Latest posts