What can the NFL do to help young players?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the recent situation with 49er Aldon Smith, it got me thinking, what can the NFL do to help players (or should they do nothing?)? You have players living off of their agents credit cards, you have some that are getting sued for jewelry bills, you have others getting pinched for repeated DUIs or pot. The list goes on and on. Just this past week I saw a player tweet a pic of an illegal gun he was holding.

Should the NFL require a college degree? Other high paying jobs do.
Should the NFL space out the players checks over a 20 year period?
Should the NFL give more training to players?
Should teams spend more time babysitting?
Should the NFL just get strict with players and teams with fines? Take away team draft picks and start handing out longer suspensions?

Or just do nothing?

Its always about protecting the shield at the end of the day, and these arrests do nothing but hurt the shield.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If teams actually enforced the rules and policed their own players (ie suspensions and fines) This could be a different league. You also have to take into account self preservation/interest. It's probably why Goodell has been making examples of teams (saints, lions etc) lately. He's trying to send a message: for your own good, shape up. Either that or "I'm the sherriff in this here town, and you WILL obey my laws"

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've long since believed our educational system fails in the financial education department. While having exposure to things like world cultures and art history is all well and good, they're pretty much pointless in the real world and aren't nearly as important or valuable as knowing why living off credit cards is bad for you, knowing the difference between a standard and a roth IRA, what compound interest is, and why saving 10% of your take home pay before paying your bills is important.

I think about the only thing the NFL can do, and that the NFLPA should push for, is making every single of of these guys take financial classes. They don't need to become financial wizards or hedge fund managers or anything like that, but learning some basic financial responsibility would go a long way towards solving the money issues.

As for the off-field disciplinary issues, there really isn't much the league could, or should do, other than what they already do- Imposing fines and suspending players. Getting tougher on teams with continual disciplinary issues and subtracting draft picks could be a possible solution, but it's doubtful the players union would go for it.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not every team is going to hold itself to the same high standards as other teams. For this to make a true impact, the disciplinary actions would have to be league mandated, and not subject to the jurisdiction of each individual team. You also have to consider that so many of us think of these guys as Gods in a sense. We tend to put them on a pedestal and we forget they are human. They have similar worries as us. I think punishment depends on the nature of the crime and how many times it was committed. It's a tough call. If you come down too hard, nobody is going to want to play in the league. I agree with SpartaChris 100% about financial counseling. That's something everyone should do.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO our educational system failures go well beyond but certainly include the failure to teach the basics of personal finance and those failures of course aren’t the responsibility of the NFL or NFLPA. The NFL does conduct a rookie orientation but I don’t know enough about it to suggest whether or how it could be improved or expanded. If they don’t already the NFL, with the NFLPA’s consent, could mandate every player new to the league or even every player currently in the league take a class or classes on personal finance and IMO there would still be players with 6-digit debts to jewelry stores and those that would **** away their financial largess and end up broke at the end of their careers. IMO the responsibility for one’s actions lies ultimately with the individual; so the furthest I would go if I were in control of the NFL would be to repeatedly encourage every player in the league, particularly those new to the league, to take advantage of classes provided by the league. Perhaps even have them sign off that they are aware of the classes but choose not to take them if that was their choice.

To answer the questions in the OP, IMO:

The NFL should not require a college degree. Plenty of non-college grads do well in life and plenty of college grads don’t. IMO it’s the players responsibility to ***** the value of a degree.

The NFL could not and should not extend payments over a 20-year period. The NFLPA wouldn’t stand for it and they shouldn’t. Financially irresponsible players could sell their future payments for a fraction of their worth and quickly **** away the lump sum they receive.

I addressed the NFL training above. The league could do more, but in the end its up to individuals.

If teams want to babysit troubled players they’re free to do so as long as the player agrees. I think that should be used very sparingly by teams because I think it has limited value.

With regard to illegal activity the league could adjust it’s suspensions and fines but I don’t think it would have much effect. With regard to financial irresponsibility, as long as no law is broken, I think the league should stay out of it beyond offering training.

I’m not big on personal responsibility only because I think that’s the best course for the individual and society. I’m big on it because in the end, IMO that’s the reality of the situation. Every human being faces hurdles to achieve success in life (however it is defined). The hurdle many in the NFL have to overcome is they were singled out early in life as special because of their athletic ability. They were cuddled and taken care of beyond the average student/person growing up. I don’t mean to demean that as something which must be overcome to achieve a balanced and grounded life. But compare that hurdle to others faced and overcome by millions in the population (and by some eventual NFL players). From that perspective, the NFL may pass all the laws and rules it likes and in the end, at some point, you just can’t fix stupid. And punishing the vast majority of responsible players in an attempt to do so does more harm than good in my opinion.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the recent situation with 49er Aldon Smith, it got me thinking, what can the NFL do to help players (or should they do nothing?)? You have players living off of their agents credit cards, you have some that are getting sued for jewelry bills, you have others getting pinched for repeated DUIs or pot. The list goes on and on. Just this past week I saw a player tweet a pic of an illegal gun he was holding.

1.Should the NFL require a college degree? Other high paying jobs do.
2.Should the NFL space out the players checks over a 20 year period?
3.Should the NFL give more training to players?
4.Should teams spend more time babysitting?
5.Should the NFL just get strict with players and teams with fines? Take away team draft picks and start handing out longer suspensions?

Or just do nothing?

Its always about protecting the shield at the end of the day, and these arrests do nothing but hurt the shield.

1. No, quit focusing on the fact it is a high paying job, it's a specialized job that shouldn't require a college degree.
2. No, would you want your job spacing out your checks over a 20 year period? This would also hurt players who are smart with their money and invest it now to make more money in the future. Also inflation.
3. More training? What does this mean? Financial training?
4. These are adults that play in the NFL, they represent a fraction of the population. If they are too bad or not talented enough they won't be in the NFL long, let the teams do what they want. Would you want all companies to babysit their employees?
5. The NFL is great in terms of it's rules, you hear about NFL players getting arrested because they are high profile but the overwhelmingly vast majority of NFL players don't get into trouble.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The onnly thing that would make players from doing illegal things (or what ever you wish to call it) is money

Fine the hell out of them and majority will stop

And by that I mean a whole season pay if arrested for anything..Those guys will stand up and take notice.

But that will NEVER be agreed upon

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. No, quit focusing on the fact it is a high paying job, it's a specialized job that shouldn't require a college degree.
2. No, would you want your job spacing out your checks over a 20 year period? This would also hurt players who are smart with their money and invest it now to make more money in the future. Also inflation.
4. These are adults that play in the NFL, they represent a fraction of the population. If they are too bad or not talented enough they won't be in the NFL long, let the teams do what they want. Would you want all companies to babysit their employees?
5. The NFL is great in terms of it's rules, you hear about NFL players getting arrested because they are high profile but the overwhelmingly vast majority of NFL players don't get into trouble.

Some teams seem to have issues with players getting in repeated trouble while others don't. Lions, bengals, and Vikings come to mind.

I'm looking for a solution, but are you saying their isn't a problem?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
From what I hear America is ranked 26 in education, I don't think anyone that isn't responsible for an educational program will admit we've failed, and have been failing in terms of education in just about every category. I like the point that these are grown men, but grown men can still act like children, especially in large groups. College degree shouldn't be an issue, considering this is a physical job, and considering children have the skill set and training to play this game. As far as specific teams with issues: don't draft players with issues. Behavioral problems also project into this league. The league is handing out suspensions, so he probably won't see the field anyway. One change that I just saw merit to is making fines a percentage of income (thank you LTF) remember, some of these guys can afford the bill. I see what Jack is saying with team responsibility, and it probably should be limited use, but from my perspective, the team is investing in this guy, it was the team's choice to invest in this guy, and it will be the team that suffers because of his suspension. Players taking personal responsibility for their actions is ideal, but that is exactly the point, it is an ideal. The guys we see getting in trouble are the guys who don't take personal responsibility for their actions. I don't see many ways to change that. Thus ends my second plug for team police.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Make players play 4 years of college to EARN their scholarship..

If they leave early they have to pay back everything..( I know if they get mill bonus it isnt an issue for them)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Some teams seem to have issues with players getting in repeated trouble while others don't. Lions, bengals, and Vikings come to mind.

The OP addressed the issue of what the league should do to address this problem, or whether it should enact additional measures. If the issue is reframed as you do here, then I think the answer is obvious. The teams more negatively affected by this problem have to make some changes if they see it as a serious issue. Perhaps they could consider changing the value they place upon the character and/or intelligence of the players they acquire. Or don’t change a thing and remain at a competitive disadvantage.

longtimefan, what makes you think 4 years of college vs. 3 years, for example, would make NFL players less likely to drive drunk or otherwise be less susceptible to addiction? Why would that additional year make someone with criminal proclivities less likely to engage in criminal activity? If three years of college doesn’t change their behavior, why would four?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan, what makes you think 4 years of college vs. 3 years, for example, would make NFL players less likely to drive drunk or otherwise be less susceptible to addiction? Why would that additional year make someone with criminal proclivities less likely to engage in criminal activity? If three years of college doesn’t change their behavior, why would four?

Getting more mature...Sometimes one year can do wonders on how people handle situations.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why conflate off-field conduct and financial management? These seem like separate issues...

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If they leave early they have to pay back everything..( I know if they get mill bonus it isnt an issue for them)

Think the extra year at LSU really would've helped Morris Claiborne's wonderlick?

-Many of these schools aren't teaching these guys squat (especially in the SEC).

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Think the extra year at LSU really would've helped Morris Claiborne's wonderlick?

-Many of these schools aren't teaching these guys squat (especially in the SEC).

Not saying it would help every kid...But it is an idea

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
This is a young man's game with a very limited window of opportunity. We already require experience in a college program and minimum age of 21. Should we start shooting ourselves in the foot now? Most teams encourage players to continue their education, what could one more year of school environment do that a year in a professional environment that discourages the behavior couldn't? Johnny can't read 'cuz Johnny don't wanna. Plain and simple.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a young man's game with a very limited window of opportunity. We already require experience in a college program and minimum age of 21. Should we start shooting ourselves in the foot now? Most teams encourage players to continue their education, what could one more year of school environment do that a year in a professional environment that discourages the behavior couldn't? Johnny can't read 'cuz Johnny don't wanna. Plain and simple.

Read my reasoning again

Getting more mature...Sometimes one year can do wonders on how people handle situations.

Nothing to do with getting the "education" it all has to do with growing up

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why conflate off-field conduct and financial management? These seem like separate issues...

I don't know, ask the nfl, ask pacman, bc at the rookie symposium this weekend he talked about spending 1 million dollars in a weekend. Clearly he was trying to send a message with that story.

Reguardless of the trouble players have been involved in, it's clear they could benefit from being more financially responsible as so many go broke after a few years out of the league.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Read my reasoning again
Nothing to do with getting the "education" it all has to do with growing up
Read my post again "What could one more year in a school environment do [for maturity] that a year in a professional environment that discourages the same behavior couldn't? Johnny can't [grow up] 'cuz Johnny don't wanna."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Read my post again "What could one more year in a school environment do [for maturity] that a year in a professional environment that discourages the same behavior couldn't? Johnny can't [grow up] 'cuz Johnny don't wanna."

Being around more older men with tons of money compared to being around younger men with no money might make him a little bit more grounded in his thinking

The way you made your posts..Made it sound like the education was going to get him more mature.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you realize you are talking about two separate issues right? I should hope you would know that since you started the thread...

There are problems everywhere in life, not just the NFL. It is not their job to babysit players just like it is not your bosses job to babysit you when you mess up. If they don't do a good job they are fired/released. The system is fine, there is punishment in place and of course they law outside the nfl keeps players in check as well. A lot of people are just jealous these players make a lot of money and some of them don't seem to appreciate it and make stupid decisions. I say quit being jealous and let the teams sort out their own internal problems. We are lucky to have a team and organization that focuses on high character individuals (for the most part) but it is another team's right if they want to take chances on players who sometimes make questionable decisions.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also why are you looking for a "solution" in the first place? That seems weird...because you will never be able to solve this problem. People are always going to make questionable decisions. Look at smoking, everyone who smokes knows it's bad for them yet they do it anyway. If you are really trying to find a solution for something that can be solved try and figure out a way everyone in the world can have clean drinking water, or food, or available medicine. Those are completely more solvable problems than trying to make everyone act the same way. Let's just all take a step back and quit worrying so much about what everyone else is doing, we live in the age of gossip now and I don't like it, and I am in my 20's but feel like I sound like an old man on this.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why would you want to punish kids who do they right thing and need money for their families and can make that by leaving college early for the nfl. The vast majority of NFL players do not get into trouble.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
why would you want to punish kids who do they right thing and need money for their families and can make that by leaving college early for the nfl. The vast majority of NFL players do not get into trouble.

Ok..whats your solution to stop players from breaking the NFL conduct policy?

My thought was if they stay in 4 years maybe they mature and avoid the wrong things while in the nfl

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Also why are you looking for a "solution" in the first place? That seems weird...because you will never be able to solve this problem. People are always going to make questionable decisions. Look at smoking, everyone who smokes knows it's bad for them yet they do it anyway. If you are really trying to find a solution for something that can be solved try and figure out a way everyone in the world can have clean drinking water, or food, or available medicine. Those are completely more solvable problems than trying to make everyone act the same way. Let's just all take a step back and quit worrying so much about what everyone else is doing, we live in the age of gossip now and I don't like it, and I am in my 20's but feel like I sound like an old man on this.

Wow

Worlds famine is now equal to stopping NFL players from doing illegal things??

Members online

No members online now.