What are your true thought's on MM

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When MM took over this organization, this team was in shambles coming off a 4-12 season.

If I had told you at the time that the next 7 years would bring only 1 losing season, 5 playoff appearances, 4 advancements to the divisional round or better, 2 NFC Championships, and 1 Super Bowl title, would you actually think there should be any talk of him being on the hot seat?

And even if you do, who is that magical HC who is going to keep us from losing games in the playoffs? The Patriots franchise right now is the envy of every other organization when it comes to having a perennial winner year after year, and yet even Bellichick hasn't won a Super Bowl since before McCarthy was even a head coach.

I understand expectations here are very high, but success comes more with stability than teams in constant flux. Replacing your HC every time he doesn't win a Super Bowl every 3 years isn't going to get you there.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think MM is a "players type of coach", but at the same time, to me he seems to be a bit of a pushover, a bit passive.....a bit soft and at times, while he may not indeed be, he looks clueless when things are going wrong.

Obviously his methods work, but that's just my observation. I also agree that he relies too much on the pass and he definitely panics when we are down because the run is completely abandoned.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
MM is gun shy. He has a clearly noticed lack of "balls" when making calls when pressure is added. Sure we have seen some gutsy plays and some trick stuff.....I doubt all the times he called that, I think someone gave him the idea and he said "ok". But when we have a lead and the middle of he 3rd QTR rolls around I get so sick and tired of that BS softy offense.....run up the middle for 2 yds, run off tackle for 1 yard, another run for 2 or 3 yds, PUNT.....repete that situation several times and ****, its the 4th QTR and the other team has now had a chance to really wear out our defense because the D is on the field every 3 minutes. I can't stress enough : Yes, protecting the lead is a good thing, but you have AROD and some damn good WR's, USE THEM for God sakes. Not saying every down, but a nice quick slant, bootleg roll out, and we keep the clock rolling and gain yds and move down to score. F*ck the gentleman thing of don't run up the score, the other teams defense is PAID to stop an offense, if they can't do that, then to hell with them.

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he should let Clements call the plays. I know it was the pro bowl but I think that clements call a good game the other night. he used a heavy dose of TE and attacked the sidelines. MM chooses to attack the Middle of the field. There is nothing wrong with that, it works but i just think that clements did a good job.

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said this before on this forum, MM gets too conservative at times, when he gets the lead in the 4th he goes to all runs on all 3 downs and then punts. He did it in the minnesota playoff game. All it takes is 1 play for AP to get a TD and the game gets much closer. He has yet to "put a team away" if he isn't already ahead by 21. I think he was so lucky that Crosby wasn't the reason we lost in the playoffs.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Because his offensive play calls didn't lead us to a 15-1 season with what was at that time statistically the worst Defense in NFL history the year after a SB... SMH

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just something to consider:

Last 6 Super Bowl winning coaches:

Coughlin (twice): 9 seasons as HC, won it in his 4th and 8th seasons
McCarthy: 7 seasons as HC, won it in his 5th season
Sean Payton: 6 seasons as HC, won it in his 5th season
Mike Tomlin: 6 seasons as HC, won it in his 2nd season
Tony Dungy: 7 seasons as HC, won it in his 5th season
Bill Cowher: 15 seasons as HC, won it in his 14th season

Usually franchises with coaching stability are the ones to win it...not the ones changing coaches all the time.
It's not like we're far away now. Starting over would be a huge mistake.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the guy is average at best as a play caller ...
This makes me think you don't know what you're talking about. There are legitimate criticisms of McCarthy, for example I would like to see his "Pittsburgh tough" background better reflected in the attitude of the team. I also wish he'd spread a wider net when considering candidates for vacant coaching spots. But posting he's "average at best as a play caller" is just flat out wrong. Stats don't tell the whole story but they do strongly reinforce the idea you don't know what you're talking about in this regard: Over the past five seasons as the de facto OC and play caller, McCarthy's offenses have averaged a little better than 5th in the league with an average of 28.3 points scored per game.

Saying the "defense stunk again" also shows an absence of analysis IMO. The D has to continue to get better but it did not 'stink again', in fact it improved significantly. In 2011 it surrendered an average of 22.4 points per game, finishing 19th in the league. Those stats improved to 21.0 points per game, good for 11th. Again, I'm not saying that's good enough, but it was an improvement. Even for those foolish enough to use yards per game, like you, have to recognize the D improved from 411.6 yards per game finishing 32nd to 336.8 yards per game, finishing 11th.

Those are my "true" thoughts on MM. My "false" thoughts on him to follow. :D

Reaction score
MM is gun shy. He has a clearly noticed lack of "balls" when making calls when pressure is added. Sure we have seen some gutsy plays and some trick stuff.....I doubt all the times he called that, I think someone gave him the idea and he said "ok". But when we have a lead and the middle of he 3rd QTR rolls around I get so sick and tired of that BS softy offense.....run up the middle for 2 yds, run off tackle for 1 yard, another run for 2 or 3 yds, PUNT.....repete that situation several times and ****, its the 4th QTR and the other team has now had a chance to really wear out our defense because the D is on the field every 3 minutes. I can't stress enough : Yes, protecting the lead is a good thing, but you have AROD and some damn good WR's, USE THEM for God sakes. Not saying every down, but a nice quick slant, bootleg roll out, and we keep the clock rolling and gain yds and move down to score. F*ck the gentleman thing of don't run up the score, the other teams defense is PAID to stop an offense, if they can't do that, then to hell with them.
Mike McCarthy is one of the most agressive coaches in the league. All the trick plays and 4th down calls are all his calls. Second off running the ball is key because it runs off clock and is less likely to turn the ball over. It's all hindsight. I haven't seen one of you guys come in and ***** about a run over 10 yards. Why is that? Because the play was executed. If the play does what it does it works. Some times the offense executes and sometimes the defense executes. You would complain if we went 3 and out passing the ball and say why didn't we run the ball.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is one of the most agressive coaches in the league. All the trick plays and 4th down calls are all his calls. Second off running the ball is key because it runs off clock and is less likely to turn the ball over. It's all hindsight. I haven't seen one of you guys come in and ***** about a run over 10 yards. Why is that? Because the play was executed. If the play does what it does it works. Some times the offense executes and sometimes the defense executes. You would complain if we went 3 and out passing the ball and say why didn't we run the ball.

we can't bit*h about a run longer than 10 yards, they happen as often as a blue moon.
MM Aggressive...lol.....you must fall asleep at half time.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Surely you're not talking about the McCarthy coaching this team.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When MM took over this organization, this team was in shambles coming off a 4-12 season.

If I had told you at the time that the next 7 years would bring only 1 losing season, 5 playoff appearances, 4 advancements to the divisional round or better, 2 NFC Championships, and 1 Super Bowl title, would you actually think there should be any talk of him being on the hot seat?

And even if you do, who is that magical HC who is going to keep us from losing games in the playoffs? The Patriots franchise right now is the envy of every other organization when it comes to having a perennial winner year after year, and yet even Bellichick hasn't won a Super Bowl since before McCarthy was even a head coach.

I understand expectations here are very high, but success comes more with stability than teams in constant flux. Replacing your HC every time he doesn't win a Super Bowl every 3 years isn't going to get you there.

Patriots haven't won since the video-gate exposure of Bellicheat. No tapes, No titles!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Weird how all that happened with Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre at QB
Weird how all that happened to Bellichek with Tom Brady. Weird how all that happened to Chuck Noll with Terry Bradshaw at QB. Weird how all that happened to Vince Lombardi with Bart Starr at QB. Walsh w/ Montana and Young. Shula with Bob Griese. Rodgers, Favre and Brady will be joining all those guys in the Hall of Fame... the two things go hand in glove

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird how all that happened to Bellichek with Tom Brady. Weird how all that happened to Chuck Noll with Terry Bradshaw at QB. Weird how all that happened to Vince Lombardi with Bart Starr at QB. Walsh w/ Montana and Young. Shula with Bob Griese. Rodgers, Favre and Brady will be joining all those guys in the Hall of Fame... the two things go hand in glove

There is so much wrong with that paragraph that I'm not even going to start to comment on it. I'll summarize what I would write on-and-on about: Just because one is good, that doesn't mean the other is good.

Reaction score
Exactly right. You need the QB in order to win in this day and age. The coach is defined by his QB.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So what's your theory here. Does the QB make the coach or vice versa? :devilish:;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strange how one side thinks McCarthy is conservative and the other thinks he is aggressive. I think that if anything else should tell us that we're always going to look for something to complain about in our head coach, no matter who it is.

Frankly, I think there are times when he is too aggressive, and times when he is too conservative. For example, take the last game against the Bears. The game was pretty much won, and then he tries a trick play toss across the field on a punt that results in a turnover and a Bears score. That was a horrendous time to be aggressive, and I would have said that whether it worked or not.

Conversely, down 14 against the 49ers in the 4th quarter, 4th and 4 at midfield, was the time to be aggressive. You just knew that if we punted away in that case, the game was over -- and it was.

So I do think MM needs to develop a better feel for the game and where to utilize aggressive strategies and where not to. Up 17 five minutes into the 4th quarter on 4th and 4 at midfield is the time to be punting. Down 14 in a game where your defense has not stopped them all game, is not the time.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think that if anything else should tell us that we're always going to look for something to complain about in our head coach, no matter who it is.
Absolutely right, and some here are very, very persistent complainers. I agree McCarthy is too aggressive at times and too conservative at times. For example, I believe regarding the punt you mentioned against the 49ers McCarthy has said he should have gone for it. As for those who think he's "always" too conservative, revisit almost any game during the 2011 season.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
There is so much wrong with that paragraph that I'm not even going to start to comment on it. I'll summarize what I would write on-and-on about: Just because one is good, that doesn't mean the other is good.

There is so much wrong with that paragraph, in your opinion. Something happening once is happenstance ... something happening twice ... potentially, is a coincidence...something happening is repeatedly hardly qualifies as post hoc ergo propter hoc ... it's a pattern.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
So what's your theory here. Does the QB make the coach or vice versa? :devilish:;)

Good question. Those two theories go hand in glove...both could conceivably be true. I tend to believe that were it not for Mike Holmgren, Brett Favre would probably have been a Mississippi Special Education teacher ... if he ever got his degree. I don't have a crystal ball, but the QB and HC are Siamese twins in my book.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weaknesses: Play calling when it matters. Case in point the San Fran game...Packers had a good first half offensively (considering opponent) by mixing it up run/pass, comes out in the second half throwing every play out of the shotgun. I couldn't believe it. He needs to try real hard to run the ball, but too often he can't help himself and throws every play.

Also he's way too loyal. Campen still being offensive line coach is just a bud sticking up for another bud. That O-line has sucked since I can remember, yet he still keeps his job. Obviously the time for Capers to go has come also, and predictably MM can't pull the trigger. Also...Crosby. Loyal to a fault.

Strengths: Seems to have played a major role in developing Rodgers. Doesn't ever make excuses for losing. Is putting out playoff caliber team year after year. Won a Super Bowl.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with all of this but we have only won 1 NFC championship since MM has been head coach

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts