What are you learning from the combine?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colt Lyeria is looking like a freak. I'd love to see us snag a steal like him at tight end and straighten him out. Paul Richardson is looking pretty impressive as well. Really can't wait for the defensive backs.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scouting combine is one of my favorite events as a football fan.

Sammy Watkins looks to be the real deal throughout all the drills.

Jadaveon Clowney the "less than physical specimen"on the bench press.

Speed. Wow it's overrated here at the combine. One player has had a 1,000 yard receiving season who ran a sub 4.4 40 yard dash at the combine out of the last fifteen players who've done so. Certainly helps, but not the be all end all IMO.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scouting combine is one of my favorite events as a football fan.

Sammy Watkins looks to be the real deal throughout all the drills.

Jadaveon Clowney the "less than physical specimen"on the bench press.

Speed. Wow it's overrated here at the combine. One player has had a 1,000 yard receiving season who ran a sub 4.4 40 yard dash at the combine out of the last fifteen players who've done so. Certainly helps, but not the be all end all IMO.
I mean look at Hyde & Boykin on our own team. Both guys fell largely due to a lack of speed when tested.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Michael Sam could be overrated or not as good as everyone thought he would be.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am learning that aside from the bench press I have little use for the combine. Speed is great in your under armor but when its game time I would rather have the best football player. You are only as fast as your brain can process information and get your body to the correct place.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched about 10 min of receiving drills and I know exactly who is going to be the best rookie receiver in the NFL next year.

It's just totally obvious.

I'll let you know who it is in January of next year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched about 10 min of receiving drills and I know exactly who is going to be the best rookie receiver in the NFL next year.

Playing in a game is one thing.
This is another.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh the underwear olympics...

40 yrd time for a WR? meh. Give me the wr that is obsessed with his routes. Remember how the 40 time got alshon dropped later in the draft? production in games> underwear olympics

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well to be honest, I feel I've learned a lot. After seeing the results I almost don't want to go with the top 2 safeties in the first. I'd rather go Louis Nix in the first and follow that up with Deone Bucannon in the second.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing in a game is one thing.
This is another.

? Yes, that was the point of my joke. Well, that and the fact that I get a kick out of all of the arm chair GMs. They're draft experts a year after the draft happens and we've seen the players a full season.:roflmao::D:D:D:D

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

HA !!! Got ya beat, I'm gunna google that **** and tell you before January.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
? Yes, that was the point of my joke. Well, that and the fact that I get a kick out of all of the arm chair GMs. They're draft experts a year after the draft happens and we've seen the players a full season.:roflmao::D:D:D:D
Yes, and we never think about injuries until they happen.

H

HardRightEdge

Riddle me this, Batmen: If the Combine doesn't matter, why does the league have it and why to GMs and scouts sit in the stands with stop watches and binoculars?

I think Mayock said it best. Teams come into this event having studied years of film on potential draftees. Tentative opinions have been formed and tentative draft boards constructed. Teams then want to see if the measureables sync up with with what they see on tape. Surprises, positive or negative, at the Combine send teams back to the tape to see what they might have missed.

It matters.

H

HardRightEdge

oh the underwear olympics...

40 yrd time for a WR? meh. Give me the wr that is obsessed with his routes. Remember how the 40 time got alshon dropped later in the draft? production in games> underwear olympics
Alshon Jeffery's draft position was consistent with his sharp drop off in production in his junior year. It was also reported he'd ballooned to 240 lbs. coincident with that poor production. His 4.48 Combine was impressive for a man his size, and the 216 lb. weigh in may have assuaged some concerns. If anything, the Combine and Pro Day might have buoyed his prospects more than hurt them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alshon Jeffery's draft position was consistent with his sharp drop off in production in his junior year. His 4.48 Combine time was impressive for a man his size. If anything, the Combine might have bouyed his prospects more than hurt them.

Ok let's go with boldin. 4.7 and won rookie of the year

H

HardRightEdge

Or bowman at linebacker
He ran 4.62 at his Pro Day, plenty fast for an ILB. There were some character issues from college and he was considered perhaps a little light for ILB. I don't think the Combine or Pro Day hurt him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He ran 4.62 at his Pro Day, plenty fast for an ILB. There were some character issues from college and he was considered perhaps a little light for ILB. I don't think the Combine or Pro Day hurt him.

You keep quoting pro days when we are talking combine...

H

HardRightEdge

And a 4.75 at the combine proving the idea of a 40 time being critical in what a WR can offer a team is ridiculous at best
What part of "Pro Day" didn't you get? Nobody arbitrarily looks at one set of numbers to the exclusion of others. Well, almost nobody.

Boldin turned into an outstanding possession receiver; one of my favorite receivers even when he'd been written off in his first years in Baltimore.

But predicting who will be a great possession receiver is a particularly difficult matter because it entails learning. Speed and size can be measured and can't be taught. Neither can fluid hips...a constant topic of conversation during the Combine broadcast...for good reason.

H

HardRightEdge

proabably the part where the thread says "what are you learning from the COMBINE" emphasis on the word COMBINE
Look...you wanted to debate Combine numbers and draft position relative to eventual performance, as though measureables should not matter. Pro Days are essentially the Combine 2.0 with a heavy concentration on measureables like Combine 1.0. I don't know how that's not obvious.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts