What are the qualities of a good head coach

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What should Ted Thompson look for in the next head coach? What qualities didn't Sherman have and what qualities do all the great coaches have?

We hear all the catch terms about leadership, organization,communication, motivator etc.; but what seperates the great coaches from the "wanna be's"?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will dare to venture where no man… at least not so far in this thread… has gone before.

1.) Great organizational skills;
2.) Great attention to detail;
3.) Ability to analyze on multiple levels – plays, game plans, player and coaches psyches…
4.) Leadership and Salesmanship skills – players and staff have to believe in the coach;
5.) Team builder – many paths to this goal, but an essential ingredient;
6.) Commands (earns) respect from everyone, (coaching staff, front office folks, players…) – different from being popular, though it can go together or apart;
7.) Willingness to work insanely long and hard and demand that from those he works with and coaches…

Are just a few of the qualifications necessary to be a successful coach in the NFL.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, I couldn't agree more. If they can find someone who can do all of those things we will soon win again.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He needs to put a pencil behind his ear and look cross-eyed at the refs while going on a f-bomb rampage on any player that draws a penalty....no, wait....that's Mike Tice.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce i agree with what you posted and would like to add that he has to surround himself with the best quality coaching staff he can get. He should be able to listen to what they advise even if he doesn't like it and get rid of people who don't help his team excell. I think half of Shermans firing was Rossley related.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I will dare to venture where no man… at least not so far in this thread… has gone before.

1.) Great organizational skills;
2.) Great attention to detail;
3.) Ability to analyze on multiple levels – plays, game plans, player and coaches psyches…
4.) Leadership and Salesmanship skills – players and staff have to believe in the coach;
5.) Team builder – many paths to this goal, but an essential ingredient;
6.) Commands (earns) respect from everyone, (coaching staff, front office folks, players…) – different from being popular, though it can go together or apart;
7.) Willingness to work insanely long and hard and demand that from those he works with and coaches…

Are just a few of the qualifications necessary to be a successful coach in the NFL.

Sounds like you just described Mike Sherman.

I think the real issue with Sherman however, was that, while he possessed those qualities listed above, he also lacked the really important quality of the ability to delegate and to trust those people he hired. I think it was this latter quality which ultimately got him fired.

Members online

Latest posts