What are the Packers Draft Options?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I think.

Sam Baker, OT, USC - He is best guess right now for their 30th overall pick. The Packers like versatile offensive lineman and you could see Baker start at left guard right away and then be the eventual replacement for Chad Clifton.

Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue - Probably in the mix too. He's added weight and seems to have gotten stronger since the season ended. He's fast enough to provide the Packers with another added "weapon" so to speak on offense.

Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn - Great in press coverage and has good timed speed as well as good size. He's an intriguing prospect who is a good fit. Might be there in round 2 for the Pack.

John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame - Maybe the best overall TE in the Draft. Will be productive inside the 20 and can block real well. Would be the ideal replacement for Bubba Franks.

Charles Godfry, CB, Iowa - He has 2nd round pick written all over in my opinion. Once again, good press coverage guy and he's been well coached at Iowa. Probably doesn't offer as much upside as Patrick Lee but might be more "NFL Ready".

Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC - He's the biggest dark horse pick right now for the Pack in round 1. GB could opt to move Cullen Jenkins inside and make Jackson their starting DE. He might not be as great against the run as Cullen Jenkins but he's a great pass rusher. I think an underrated prospect that might go late 1st.

Fred Davis, TE, USC - Another USC player on the list. Davis was nothing but productive at USC. He has good hands and has decent enough athleticism for a TE. He was recruited as a receiver so he could probably be split outside in certain situations.

Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State - Nick Collins might not of worked out and Aaron Rouse can convert to SS if needed. Johnson is a FS prospect who could potentially push for a starting job. He covers a lot of field and is very physical.

Antwaun Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky - He's a lot like DRC but just not as "NFL Ready". Molden is a good athlete that could be a special teams player right away and maybe a projected nickel back. You look at everything he's done, it's been right on par with DRC. He's a project though that I think will go 3rd round. I think he's a "sleeper"

Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State -
He's a Ted Thompson type of football player. Doesn't have great timed speed but has good size and catches the ball real well. Won't ever be a true #1 receiver but he'll contribute to teams as a potential starter or #3 guy. I think he's a 2nd rounder but a lot of people think he could drop to round 3 or 4 and that's where the Pack might look at another receiver.

Obviously guys like Brandon Flowers and Jonathan Stewart are also in the mix if they drop down to the Pack.

Just offering my two cents.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis. I'm leaning Baker as well, if you have seen some of my recent posts. But the others you mention are definite possibilities.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Pretty good selections Porky but, I'm wondering why you didn't include a QB in your list? I also doubt that keller will still be available by the time GB gets to pick. Anychance you see TT moving up to grab Cromartie?

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Pretty good selections Porky but, I'm wondering why you didn't include a QB in your list? I also doubt that keller will still be available by the time GB gets to pick. Anychance you see TT moving up to grab Cromartie?

I actually read that Keller might drop out of the 1st round. Size is a concern (he's short for a TE) and he has his flaws but right now I do have Seattle going with him.

I don't think the Pack have the ammo to move up for DRC. I think he's going to be one of the first corners taken right away. So the Pack would have to jump probably into the top 15 to do that and TT has never traded up as Packers GM so the odds aren't good.

If we got DRC though I'd be as happy as anyone.

QB's I think they'll look at are John David Booty, Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, and Andre Woodson but you never know with TT.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I know we had a "fan" draft on the Redskins Messageboard, and I had the pleasure of picking for the Packers.

Here is who I picked for the Packers through 6 Rounds, and I was rather pleased. The only place I might have reached was in the 2nd for Greco out of Toledo, and I feel that was because I wanted to make sure we had a good tackle, and there was a run on them in the Second. If I had waited he might have been their in the third, in which case we'd have drafted Xavier Adibi LB out of Va Tech instead of the DT from Arkansas. Of course if that happened and Grecco was not there I might have taken Justice, or SUllivan (wake and notre dame) centers in the third instead.

Here's my picks:

Green Bay Packers:

Round 1, Pick 30 (30) : Antione Cason, CB, Arizona

Round 2, Pick 25 (56) (From Browns) : Dustin Keller TE, Purdue

Round 2, Pick 29 (60) : John Greco OL Toledo

Round 3, Pick 28 (91) : Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas

Round 4, Pick 29 (128) : Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado

Round 4, Pick 36 (135) (Comp) : Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego

Round 5, Pick 27 (162) : Doug Legursky, OC, Marshall

If anyone is curious how the draft over all went down Here is the link: 2008 ExtremeSkins Mock NFL Draft. I don't want to post the whole thing here, but it is possible keller could fall to us in the second and that would be a steel. Even if he doesnt the other Tight End Martellus Bennet out of Texas A&M could be there.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up, Porky. It's good to get all the info we can on guys the Pack might get, so I don't get into a situation like last year's draft where I text all my non-Packer following friends saying, "I have no effing clue who 'Justin Harrell' is".

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cason is a good football player. Underrated actually for a guy who won the Jim Thorpe award last season. I'd prefer Sam Baker in round 1 and Patrick Lee in round 2 though than Cason in round 1 and an OT in round 2 but I could see Cason. Though it wouldn't surprise me to see a team like Dallas or SF to jump on Cason ahead of the Pack.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Think the type of players like Cason will be gone long before GB picks. I can see an OT in rd. 1 or perhaps Keller if still on the board. I believe GB's best value will be the two second rd. picks. Hoping GB's 3rd pick is a DT. Should be a couple of very good ones still available.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baker could be a solid pick, but I really think he's gone before our Pick. There are a lot of teams needing Offensive Tackles right now.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what is wrong with Nick Collins. He has been pretty steady and mainly needs someone next to him that he isn't always trying to cover up their mistakes.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roll: Ok! Here we are on draft day and after perusing the Packer Plus draft selections, we can safely say the Pack will be drafting near the beginning of the second round as there are only 28 players listed as first round choices. Therefore by the time GB selects its first player in the second round they will for all practical purposes be drafting a third round player and so on throughout the draft. Unless TT decides to move up the best player left on the boards will really be a second round choice. Now we really find out how good TT and MM are in the draft room.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roll: Ok! Here we are on draft day and after perusing the Packer Plus draft selections, we can safely say the Pack will be drafting near the beginning of the second round as there are only 28 players listed as first round choices. Therefore by the time GB selects its first player in the second round they will for all practical purposes be drafting a third round player and so on throughout the draft. Unless TT decides to move up the best player left on the boards will really be a second round choice. Now we really find out how good TT and MM are in the draft room.

3rd round guys? I had all three as 2nd round picks.

I had Patrick Lee to Atlanta
I had Jordy Nelson to Buffalo
I had Brian Brohm to Tampa Bay

I thought the Packers picked each one right where they were supposed to go. Maybe Brohm lasted longer than what most thought but I had a hunch he and Henne would drop and Flacco would end up going sooner.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky, I am amazed you nailed two of our picks today. I guess that's why you have that fancy trophy in your sig!

Members online

Latest posts