What are the odds James Jones gets cut before Driver???

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Jones could be a trade option?? But there is no way he would be cut.
no one wanted to sign him when he was a free agent, so it's difficult to see anyone giving up a draft pick for him now in addition to paying him the contract

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD was being covered by linebackers last season he was so low on defensive cords radars.

Love the guy but I put the team before any individual on the team. It will hurt the team to keep driver. To debate jones or driver is crazy, even more so when you look at the contracts. Yeah driver said he would take a cut but until he does it's just talk.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD was being covered by linebackers last season he was so low on defensive cords radars.

Love the guy but I put the team before any individual on the team. It will hurt the team to keep driver. To debate jones or driver is crazy, even more so when you look at the contracts. Yeah driver said he would take a cut but until he does it's just talk.
I believe 100% that DD will take a paycut if allowed to stay on the team ashe said he would. It's not about the money for him. It's the love of the game. I also believe DD knows he'll get about 25-30 catches this yr which is less than last yr. Father time is undefeated. That being said I believe DD has less than a 25% chance of making the team. I,like others don't like to be wrong but hope I'm wrong on this account

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe 100% that DD will take a paycut if allowed to stay on the team ashe said he would. It's not about the money for him. It's the love of the game. I also believe DD knows he'll get about 25-30 catches this yr which is less than last yr. Father time is undefeated. That being said I believe DD has less than a 25% chance of making the team. I,like others don't like to be wrong but hope I'm wrong on this account

No player should be allowed on a roster, they should earn their spot on a roster.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no one wanted to sign him when he was a free agent, so it's difficult to see anyone giving up a draft pick for him now in addition to paying him the contract
He did put up some great stats last year, though he got some rock hands at times, he still would be the WR2 on many NFL teams.
I wouldn't trade him for any low draft pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two reasons why it is a never:

#1 Money, Jones is much cheaper option and

#2 He hasn't reached his potential ability...whereas Driver has already hit and is leaving his prime.

Cheaper option with a greater upside....I'll take that.

(coming from a HUGE DD FAN TOO)

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, it's about time for a counterpoint. I'd say 50:50
I say keep Driver,cut Jones.

Jones still has potential. As last year and the year before and.......continue 'til his draft day comes up again.
Jones could play 5-6 years IF he stays in shape like DD does and IF he unwraps his potential.
I doubt JJ can reach his potential, I doubt he will rise to the challenge of "father time"
and I doubt he can ever be a leader, like DD is.

Here's my suggestion: Keep the leader for another year, cut the "underachiever" (woo, that's a bit harsh!! ;) )
and get the young guys in the game (Cobb, Borel, Gurley, Moss, or any possible draft pick in 2013)
We might loose a bit at the slot receiver position, but we gain a lot with DD being a leader, a role model.
Let's get him another ring and let him ride into the sunset.
GO PACK!!

I'm sorry, but this post is utter nonsense. Basically, you're saying, let's cut the guy who produced more and has long-term value and who is a bigger threat on the field because even though Driver is clearly declining, we will gain more because he's a leader. Does that about sum it up?

All the people who tout his leadership, role model, etc. qualities are ignoring his glaring decline in production. They also ignore the fact that Jennings is also a fine role model and leader for the receiving unit. They also completely disregard the fact that it makes no sense in football terms to cut Jones to make room for him. Unfortunately, they're also the same people who berate Ted Thompson for not taking the same sentimental approach to player personnel that they would.

If Driver ends up playing elsewhere this year it's because Thompson has done an excellent job of keeping young receiving talent flowing into Green Bay. Yet some on here will declare it's time to FIRE TED THOMPSON! You watch it happen.

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings and Nelson are arguably better leaders (work ethic) or at least as good in leadership quality as Driver. We won't lose anything in that area of the game if Driver leaves. If he isn't "quick" anymore, I'm not sure I want him on the field. Sure his experience lets him find the holes in zone coverage, but we need younger guys getting that experience.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Training camp will tell. This is still a buisness and a young mans game. Only 53 spots on the roster and a lot of young talent in the pipeline. We all love DD. I think he will retire a packer no matter which way things go.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this post is utter nonsense. Basically, you're saying, let's cut the guy who produced more and has long-term value and who is a bigger threat on the field because even though Driver is clearly declining, we will gain more because he's a leader. Does that about sum it up?

No, because I don't think his stone hands produced more.
Certainly not in his career and what about last season? Yeah, stats don't lie (but they do!).
Same number of receptions (JJ 38 / DD 37), TDs one more (JJ 7 / DD 6), 200 yards more for JJ (JJ 635 / DD 445), but:
WHERE IS JAMES JONES WHEN IT REALLY COUNTS?
Driver is always the guy that you can count on to get a first down.
Well, has been! And that is where you got me wrong. Let them both earn their roster spot in camp.
Whoever is better, gets the nod.
But please: Let us not overestimate potential, because we never know if the player will reach it.
Of course, younger players need time to develop! But I think, James Jones can't do much more
for us in the future. His production will decline way earlier than DDs. Maybe this season....
All the people who tout his leadership, role model, etc. qualities are ignoring his glaring decline in production. They also ignore the fact that Jennings is also a fine role model and leader for the receiving unit. They also completely disregard the fact that it makes no sense in football terms to cut Jones to make room for him. Unfortunately, they're also the same people who berate Ted Thompson for not taking the same sentimental approach to player personnel that they would.

If Driver ends up playing elsewhere this year it's because Thompson has done an excellent job of keeping young receiving talent flowing into Green Bay. Yet some on here will declare it's time to FIRE TED THOMPSON! You watch it happen.
In Ted I trust! Therefore this discussion is pointless anyway, because he (and MM) will do what is best for the team. They won't just hand a roster spot to a player just because he is an all time reception leader or because he's some years younger than the other guy.
If the day comes that they cut Donald Driver, so be it. May that day
never come and may that STUPID DANCING SHOW SQUEEZE ANOTHER YEAR OUT OF DD!!
;)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lockerroom doesn't need Drivers leadership. This isn't Philadelphia. Jennings is well respected and Nelson works as hard as anyone. Rodgers is clearly in charge on the offense. To say we need his leadership is an insult to the rest of the offense. James jones does a TON of charity work in Wisconsin, I don't know if people realize that. Just the other day I ran into a woman who said jones came to her house and spent the day with her sick son.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, because I don't think his stone hands produced more.
Certainly not in his career and what about last season? Yeah, stats don't lie (but they do!).
Same number of receptions (JJ 38 / DD 37), TDs one more (JJ 7 / DD 6), 200 yards more for JJ (JJ 635 / DD 445), but:
WHERE IS JAMES JONES WHEN IT REALLY COUNTS?
Driver is always the guy that you can count on to get a first down.
Well, has been! And that is where you got me wrong. Let them both earn their roster spot in camp.
Whoever is better, gets the nod.

Not that simple. When you're talking about the 4th or 5th receiver on the roster, you also have to consider future value. Jones is a pretty darn good 4th or 5th option next season(find me a team whose 4th option is better.) If it comes down to a choice between Driver or Jones, why would Thompson go with a guy who is on a clear decline over a guy who can give them 5 or 6 more years consistently?

But please: Let us not overestimate potential, because we never know if the player will reach it.
Of course, younger players need time to develop! But I think, James Jones can't do much more
for us in the future.

What he does do is more than sufficient for the role he will be playing.

His production will decline way earlier than DDs. Maybe this season....

What the heck are you talking about? DD's production has already declined steadily over the past 3 seasons. If Jones' production declines, it will be because of fewer reps due to increased PT for Cobb, not because of any premature loss of physical ability.

In Ted I trust! Therefore this discussion is pointless anyway, because he (and MM) will do what is best for the team. They won't just hand a roster spot to a player just because he is an all time reception leader or because he's some years younger than the other guy.
If the day comes that they cut Donald Driver, so be it. May that day
never come and may that STUPID DANCING SHOW SQUEEZE ANOTHER YEAR OUT OF DD!!
;)

The Packers won't keep cut/trade Jones to keep Driver. It just doesn't make sense. When asked if Driver would be on the team a few weeks ago, they basically said, "No comment." Assuming the Packers only keep 5 WRs, the competition won't be between Jones and Driver to make the roster. It'll be between Driver, Gurley, Borel, Moss, Smithson and Rivers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Boykin honestly has the athletic framework and raw skills to compete for a spot too....just too many youngins coming up for Donald to stick around...sad day when he's released for sure if it happens though.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb may surpass Jones if hands of stone returns... But Driver has almost no chance if it's a toss up, simply a game of numbers (age wise) El Guapo - amazing reference. Favorite movie of all time.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two reasons why it is a never:

#1 Money, Jones is much cheaper option and

#2 He hasn't reached his potential ability...whereas Driver has already hit and is leaving his prime.

Cheaper option with a greater upside....I'll take that.

(coming from a HUGE DD FAN TOO)

How much longer do we give Jones to reach his full potential? He's been captain stone hands forever.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How much longer do we give Jones to reach his full potential? He's been captain stone hands forever.

Actually, he dropped fewer than Driver last year. Both had 44 catchable passes thrown their way. Jones dropped 6 of them. Driver dropped 8. BTW, Jennings and Nelson were both in the top 20 with fewest drops.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

I don't think we keep Jones based on his potential. We keep him based on him being an excellent #4 guy for years to come. He could be the #3 guy on most teams and maybe even the #2 guy on a few. He can continue to perform at his current level for several more years. Driver, OTOH will continue to decline.

That said, I don't think TT will keep DD at the expense of losing some of the young talent we've got coming up the ranks. But I do think there's a chance he might just keep 6 WRs this year to make room for him if no more than 3 TEs make the grade.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Let's see what happens in camp, but I am hoping that a few of the younger guys shine and BOTH Driver and Jones are cut.

BTW, I love Driver. One of my all-time favs. It's just time for him to hang it up.

I like Jones as a person, but he just does not give me a sense of confidence on the field (especially on 3rd downs).

I predict youth wins in camp. I particularly like the idea of what Gurley and Moss can do.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, he dropped fewer than Driver last year. Both had 44 catchable passes thrown their way. Jones dropped 6 of them. Driver dropped 8. BTW, Jennings and Nelson were both in the top 20 with fewest drops.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

I don't think we keep Jones based on his potential. We keep him based on him being an excellent #4 guy for years to come. He could be the #3 guy on most teams and maybe even the #2 guy on a few. He can continue to perform at his current level for several more years. Driver, OTOH will continue to decline.

That said, I don't think TT will keep DD at the expense of losing some of the young talent we've got coming up the ranks. But I do think there's a chance he might just keep 6 WRs this year to make room for him if no more than 3 TEs make the grade.
Speaking of dropped balls Finley had way to many last year. He just got a new 2 yr contract so he needs to show out & be as good if not better than Gronkowski.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GreenBlood

I was merely playing devil's advocate for a moment. I agree keeping Jones makes more sense, but if I see a weak argument, I'm going to pick on it. Saying that Jones hasn't reached his full potential is silly. He's a vet on his 2nd contract, I don't see him improving much more.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see what happens in camp, but I am hoping that a few of the younger guys shine and BOTH Driver and Jones are cut.
BTW, I love Driver. One of my all-time favs. It's just time for him to hang it up.
I like Jones as a person, but he just does not give me a sense of confidence on the field (especially on 3rd downs).
I predict youth wins in camp. I particularly like the idea of what Gurley and Moss can do.

I kind of get annoyed at all the love guys like Gurley get. I'm on another Packer forum and those guys had about a 92 page (I wish I was exaggerating a lot...I'm not) convo about how great Gurley is and how he will come in and be the #3 guy. Dude is a PS guy for a reason. Gurley likely won't break into the top 4. He MAY get into the top 5, but it's a long shot.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Actually, he dropped fewer than Driver last year. Both had 44 catchable passes thrown their way. Jones dropped 6 of them. Driver dropped 8.
Beat me to it. Sometimes fan's perceptions don't match reality. IMO the reason to keep Jones over Driver is not because Jones hasn't reached his potential; it's because of Drivers' inevitable age-caused decline. I do think Jones suffers from a lack of opportunities - IMO like most players he would be more consistent with more work. I think several teams made a mistake by not signing him to a very modest (by NFL terms) UFA contract when he was available. He would have immediately been an upgrade at the #3 WR on a lot of teams and as the #2 on a few, including the Bears.

But there's a good reason Jones doesn't get more balls thrown to him in Green Bay. Jennings, Nelson and Cobb are better. But that's not a knock on Jones who just happens to find himself on the team with the deepest talent at WR. And IMO the receiver on the roster whose full potential has yet to be approached is Finley. Throw him into the mix and Jones becomes the fifth best receiver on the team.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of dropped balls Finley had way to many last year. He just got a new 2 yr contract so he needs to show out & be as good if not better than Gronkowski.

Gronkowski had gaudy stats last year because he was on a team that had basically 3 viable receiving options (him, Welker and Hernandez). Finley didn't (and won't) come anywhere near his stats because he's on a team that happens to have 5 other viable targets besides himself. And IMO Gronkidiot isn't any better anyway. If you watch what NE does with him, they use a lot of motion and shifts to try to force a linebacker to cover him. He'll win that battle all day. But he struggles to get open against safeties. Finley is different in that he has shown he can get open against LBs or safeties. As for drops... not worried about it. Last year was a fluke given his past and nobody works harder that he to improve his game (per Mike McCarthy) than Fin. He'll be fine in that regard.

BTW, a lot of people faulted Jones for dropping a likely TD in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. If you will recall correctly, Gronkowski dropped a pretty easy one that would have put them in scoring position against the Giants in the last Super Bowl. I guess the grass is always greener...

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I kind of get annoyed at all the love guys like Gurley get. I'm on another Packer forum and those guys had about a 92 page (I wish I was exaggerating a lot...I'm not) convo about how great Gurley is and how he will come in and be the #3 guy. Dude is a PS guy for a reason. Gurley likely won't break into the top 4. He MAY get into the top 5, but it's a long shot.

Yeah, Gurley is a PS guy for a reason... because the NFL has roster limits. On most teams he'd be on the active roster. He's 6'4" 235lbs (I've heard some who have seen him say he's actually closer to 6'5") and has very good hands. He's not terribly fast (not slow either) but very good at winning jump ball type passes. He's a physical specimen with some real football ability. There's a reason other teams tried to sign him from our PS last year and I don't see TT letting them try again. Besides, he's a former Gamecock and the Packers have a pretty good history with those guys.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Gurley is a PS guy for a reason... because the NFL has roster limits. On most teams he'd be on the active roster. He's 6'4" 235lbs (I've heard some who have seen him say he's actually closer to 6'5") and has very good hands. He's not terribly fast (not slow either) but very good at winning jump ball type passes. He's a physical specimen with some real football ability. There's a reason other teams tried to sign him from our PS last year and I don't see TT letting them try again. Besides, he's a former Gamecock and the Packers have a pretty good history with those guys.

If he's good enough to beat Jones, Cobb, or Driver out for a spot, he would have done it. He's raw and there's no guarantee he'll amount to anything in the league. Teams wanted Breno Giacomini off of our PS too. He had great measurable. He never panned out to anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts