1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What are some great all time packer quotes?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Shawnsta3, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Like Vince Lombardi quotes and stuff. Sorry, If this questions already been posted.

2. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    Of course this is my favorite...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag]Vince Lombardi What the Hell's Going on? - YouTube[/ame]

3. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    its recent but I love it...."And... there... is your Super Bowl dagger...." got to love Wayne.

• Like Like x 1
  4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    How about this one?

• Like Like x 1
  5. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    I wish it was "official".

6. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Something Woodson said last year really sticks out at me. It was during the playoffs when we were waiting to see who the Packers would play in the NFC championship game. To paraphrase, Woodson said: It doesn't matter.... The Pack is coming. It was then I just had this feeling they were gonna not only go to the SB, but win it. Woodson just had this confidence, this look in his eyes, the aura he projected was just electric. I got this feeling that the whole team had that same energy, vibrating with the same aura, the same intensity. In that moment, the gauntlet was thrown and went unanswered by the Bears and the Steelers.

"The Pack is coming" shall be my mantra this year. Or if you say it my way... The Pack cometh...

7. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +879
    Well, Lombardi's most famous quip:
    Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

And my personal favorite of his many quotations:
    We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.

8. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,187
    One of my favorite quotes about Lombardi was uttered by 'ole number 74, the GREAT defensive tackle and HOFer, Henry Jordan. When asked about Lombardi he said, "He's fair. He treats us all the same... like dogs."

Jordan said that because of how hard Lombardi worked the players and a couple of Lombardi quotes explain why Vince was so hard on them: "Fatigue makes cowards of us all", and "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender".

I've used my favorite quote from Lombardi in my signature here. It's special to me for two reasons, the first is the context of the quote: When Lombardi came to Green Bay, the Packers were the worst team in the NFL and had been (or close to it) for the past decade. Other teams used to threaten players by telling them they better shape up or they'll be sent to Green Bay. On the first day of camp Lombardi says the following in the first meeting he has with the QBs:

"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."

Of course Packers fans at the time would have been elated if the team were "just good" but Lombardi knew better and aimed much higher. The other reason I like this quote is its application to all aspects of life. After that meeting Bart Starr called his wife and excitedly told her, "Honey, we’re going to start to win. The guy talked about perfection!"

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sirscorps

Sirscorps Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    T/Greg Koch to Chicago's All Pro NT/Dan Hampton- "You're a big wuss & I could drink you under the table." (1985-1986 leading up to the weeks game.).

Those games in 1985-87were the most intense i've ever seen. Gregg & Dikta were 2 huge ego-manics who hated each other & would even trades barbs throughout GB/CHI week. Fun times. I don't think i've heard any teams trash talk as much as those teams did, during the Gregg era.

10. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Yeaaaaaaaaaa but....... Lombardi didn't come up with this one himself..

11. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    The Packers win! is my favorite quote.

12. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +179
    It was actually Henry Russell Sanders (UCLA football coach) that originally came up with the "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" quote.

I could be wrong but I also remember in watching Lombardi on HBO that he wished he would have never focused so much on winning because it's how hard you try and your character that matters more.

Of course there are people who repeatedly try and fail and probably should just stop trying altogether :laughing:

13. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    "What the hell's goin on out here?!" -Vince Lombardi

"What team are we playin again?" -Max McGee

"Hey Jim I wonder if I'd get electrocuted if I stuck this microphone in the Budweiser..." -Max McGee

"They just administered smelling salts to Chuck Cecil on the Packers bench..." - Jim Irwin

"World Champion Green Bay Packers!" -Jim Irwin

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frozencheese

Frozencheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    My favorite quote: "The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours" - random packer fan in front of Lambeau Field

15. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers."
    — Max McGee