Westcoast Offense?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could blame the Oline for the lack of time for Favre but, I think the play calling leaves a LOT to be desired.

This Packer offense resembles somewhat the 1992 offense where the Oline was a question mark and pass blocking was pretty bad... Run blocking was worse yet.

During Holmgren's first couple years, didn't he shorten the pass routes of Sterling Sharpe and have Favre throw the ball on a 3 step drop? Didn't this negate the pass rush for a quick 5 to 6 yard pass play?

I don't like this new scheme where they have Favre roll out to buy time. The defense knows that he is trying to go deep whenever he does that.

I thought the Westcoast offense was the quick release, short gain pass offense that set up the long one and the running game.

Packers have Sterling like receivers in Driver and Jennings. Isn't it about time with the lack of top interior linemen and all, that the Packer coaches take a page out of history and get back to the heart of the Westcoast offense?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, the playcalling is strange at times. This would be our best chance to move the ball but outside of DD i don't know if we have a great posession reciever

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wasn't fergusons TD a short pass\quick release?

didn't DD get a lot of short passes, then do the thing he does where he abuses defenders?

also, i didnt watch the game this week, but i heard ahman dropped quite a few passes, and SOME were screens.

id like to see the screen(if its effective).

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

Ahman dropped EVERY pass. SO unllike him. You are right on the Ferguson pass. Those quick ones were the play makers in 1992 and also on sunday.

Driver;s 53 yard catch was a 8 yard guick slant that he turned into a 53 yard gain. Don't we need more plays like that?

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone really run the West Coast Offense anymore?

Now we are 2 or 3 generations removed from the Walsh 49ers. Each new coach has tweaked the offense a little and then his assistants take that offense and move on to other teams. They change it a little more until it does not really resemble the original.

Unfortunately, we may be seeing the same thing with the "zone blocking". Jags learned it from Gibbs but I would be amazed if something does not change in the translation.

One thing that did hold over from the original "West Coast" offense was running a draw or throwing the ball 3 yards on 3rd and 10 :)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Fergie one had to be quick because we were damn near on the goalline. It's not about breaking it for 53 yards, its about gaining 4-5 yards a catch setting up a deep fly or post. I just don't think we have a reliable possession guy outside of DD that we can use. Jennings could become one with time but he is inconsistent right now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its also about catchin them *****es, and we had too many drops from some reliable people (Ahman, Bubba, everyone else)

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
The Fergie one had to be quick because we were damn near on the goalline. It's not about breaking it for 53 yards, its about gaining 4-5 yards a catch setting up a deep fly or post. I just don't think we have a reliable possession guy outside of DD that we can use. Jennings could become one with time but he is inconsistent right now.

Well, who did we have other than Sharpe in 92?

My point is that we should go back to the **** and dunk 5 yards and fall forward for 2 more and do it again... Just for good measure, let Ahman run it for 4 or 5 because the Defense is thinking pass.

The 1992 Packers won 9 games after starting 0-2. Favre's arm is NOT where it used be but is still good enough to throw the quick ins for 6 yards and the quick outs for 6 more. Plus, he has ton more experience and DD, Jennings, Fergie, and Robinson may be good enough to pull it off.

Favre will also NOT get hit as much as the ball is out in less than 3 seconds. That may prolong his career. I hope the MM/TT equation is considering this...

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom has a good point, it doesn't matter what scheme you run people have to execute for it to be effective.

At this point I think they have so many people not executing they really don't know what to run.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Favre will also NOT get hit as much as the ball is out in less than 3 seconds. That may prolong his career. I hope the MM/TT equation is considering this...

We know that some of Favre's family "lurk" at this site. Any chance of that getting passed along??

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an ariticle this morning and they said they thought the Oline was good we rank 12 in the league,,,not good either,,lol,,,but our defense is what really did us in...I dont know about this, the defense started out really great!!! and ended really great...we just have to believe in our team and hopefully we can get a win...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id buy that, heather

-middle of the line O-line
-horrible (pass) defense

was it the internet? local newspaper?

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I read an ariticle this morning and they said they thought the Oline was good we rank 12 in the league,,,not good either,,lol,,,but our defense is what really did us in...I dont know about this, the defense started out really great!!! and ended really great...we just have to believe in our team and hopefully we can get a win...

Maybe they meant 12th in WI?? or in GB?? Some of those high school players are pretty big. :p

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense is 30th in the league in points allowed and 27th in yards allowed.

Tough to win football games that way.

Members online

Latest posts