Wells leaves packers

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep Wells is gone.

We lost a key cog last year on our D-Line in free agency, in Cullen Jenkins.
And we lost a key cog on our O-Line today in free agency in Wells.

Ted likes to ignore signing other team's guys, an take care of his own.
But he doesn't like them much when they turn 30, and he's never liked Wells.
In fact, his hand-picked guy was Spitz, and he tried to force the coaches to give that gig to Spitz about 4, 5 years ago and Wells simply out-performed him.

Now Teddy has something else up his sleeve there at center.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now Teddy has something else up his sleeve there at center.[/quote]

I sure hope so, but for all we know, his master plan for C is EDS.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Thompson, like Ron Wolf will never pay top dollar for a lineman or so it seems...perhaps rightly so, with the exception of left tackle. I just about crapped a screaming worm when Wolf let Aaron Taylor AND Adam Timmerman leave via free agency at the same time...and then later on... Mike Wahle and (shoot...I can't remember his name) the guard who left for the Cowbags ... although, with the exception of Timmerman, none of them went on to great things really and as I recall Aaron Taylor busted up both knees pretty bad (again) right after he left.

Still, it seems that they're viewed as expendable and "parts is parts". It might be a little easier to swallow this time because the guys named in the paragraph above were more than just 'pass blockers' too... yeah...I'm a fan of the big fat guys, always have been and always will be -- I just hope that Ted gets that hole adequately filled.

Oh...and those of you who are bagging on Newhouse now?? Be prepared to swallow those words later on. :) Just sayin' ....

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson, like Ron Wolf will never pay top dollar for a lineman or so it seems...perhaps rightly so, with the exception of left tackle. I just about crapped a screaming worm when Wolf let Aaron Taylor AND Adam Timmerman leave via free agency at the same time...and then later on... Mike Wahle and (shoot...I can't remember his name) the guard who left for the Cowbags ... although, with the exception of Timmerman, none of them went on to great things really and as I recall Aaron Taylor busted up both knees pretty bad (again) right after he left.

Still, it seems that they're viewed as expendable and "parts is parts". It might be a little easier to swallow this time because the guys named in the paragraph above were more than just 'pass blockers' too... yeah...I'm a fan of the big fat guys, always have been and always will be -- I just hope that Ted gets that hole adequately filled.

Oh...and those of you who are bagging on Newhouse now?? Be prepared to swallow those words later on. :) Just sayin' ....

I think Wahle went to a few pro bowls after he left for Carolina, letting him go was a mistake - imo. The others were guards and less valuable. I dont mind one bit about letting Well's go as long as TT finds a good replacement and I dont mean anyone currently on our roster (they are backups). Am I really confident that he will? Well, after his risky assumption about Neal replacing CJ, much less so.

I too like Newhouse and think he steadily improved through last season. If he keeps progressing we'll be fine at LT.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dietrich-Smith has to play somewhere. He's a mauler, which we need. I would imagine either he or Lang will be at center and the other guard. Wells was good for his size, but overpowered much of the time. This isn't the end of the world.

D

Dan115

Dietrich-Smith has to play somewhere. He's a mauler, which we need. I would imagine either he or Lang will be at center and the other guard. Wells was good for his size, but overpowered much of the time. This isn't the end of the world.

End of the world----21 Dec 2012.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dietrich-Smith doesn't have to play anywhere if he's not good enough to start. And assuming he can seems like another risky proposition. Why not just sign a vet center and draft his protege. And leave Lang where he is so he can become a better LG? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got no problem with your plan, but I suspect the coaches like what they see in D-S and want him starting. The bottom line is they weren't interested in signing Wells, for what ever reason.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wahle went to a few pro bowls after he left for Carolina, letting him go was a mistake - imo. The others were guards and less valuable. I dont mind one bit about letting Well's go as long as TT finds a good replacement and I dont mean anyone currently on our roster (they are backups). Am I really confident that he will? Well, after his risky assumption about Neal replacing CJ, much less so.

I too like Newhouse and think he steadily improved through last season. If he keeps progressing we'll be fine at LT.
Tough to call anything a mistake now because all TT has done has ked to a Superbowl victory. Hell, I don't care if he cuts Rodgers an trades for Cutler, as long as we win a Superbowl. That was a weird sentence - maybe im drunk.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody know what compensatory pick we will receive for Wells based on his contract?

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to call anything a mistake now because all TT has done has ked to a Superbowl victory. Hell, I don't care if he cuts Rodgers an trades for Curled, as long as we win a Superbowl. That was a weird sentence - maybe im drunk.

Kinda early in the moring out there to be drunk dude.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it’s difficult to call Wells leaving a mistake. From the reports we’ve read the Packers offered a contract averaging about $4.5M per year. If he got paid more than $6M/year maybe it’s the Rams who made the mistake. The key IMO is how much did each team guarantee. Also from what we’ve read, Wells’ feelings were hurt and if that’s true, he wasn’t going to agree to a home town discount and perhaps was determined to leave no matter what.

As I mentioned in the “NFL contract” thread, Wahle had all the leverage when he left in 2005 so Thompson’s hands were tied. He would have had to guarantee a ton of money to an OG on a team in major need of rebuilding/depth.

As far as what the Packers will get in compensation for Wells, no one knows but losing Flynn too should mean they’ll get a high comp pick even if Thompson signs a UFA.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it’s difficult to call Wells leaving a mistake. From the reports we’ve read the Packers offered a contract averaging about $4.5M per year. If he got paid more than $6M/year maybe it’s the Rams who made the mistake. The key IMO is how much did each team guarantee. Also from what we’ve read, Wells’ feelings were hurt and if that’s true, he wasn’t going to agree to a home town discount and perhaps was determined to leave no matter what.

As I mentioned in the “NFL contract” thread, Wahle had all the leverage when he left in 2005 so Thompson’s hands were tied. He would have had to guarantee a ton of money to an OG on a team in major need of rebuilding/depth.

As far as what the Packers will get in compensation for Wells, no one knows but losing Flynn too should mean they’ll get a high comp pick even if Thompson signs a UFA.

If offering Well's 4.5mil per year is correct, I think that was fair and probably what he's worth. We could have paid him 6mil a year and retained him. But he is also very replaceable - IMO and TT should have many avenues to replace him with someone decent. What will TT do? I have no idea.

I would sign a vet FA for a for a few years and draft the long term replacement in the mid rounds. EDS, if he is improved, could possibly be the new center but that is kind of a stretch IMO.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this just my opinion: Wells and Clifton the only decent OL? I disagree. Sitton is an above average OG and Lang is on his way to be. I also think Bulaga is above average at RT and likely to get better. Clifton was not close to decent last season and I wouldn’t depend upon him to be able to reprise his 2010 play. The biggest problem on the OL was LT where Newhouse has to get better. He may but that’s not a sure thing either. Sherrod’s injury will set him back going into this season – he may miss most of his first two offseasons of work. If Clifton doesn’t come back or does and isn’t any better than he ended the season and if Newhouse hasn’t improved, unfortunately I think the best course of action would be moving Bulaga to LT.

Obviously they’ll miss Wells if he leaves. He was the best OL last season and he’s very smart. But if he doesn’t realize the NFL is a business and won’t come back to the Packers because his feelings are hurt, then adios Scott. Wilde thinks he’s headed for Tennessee. Both he and his wife are from there and they own a house there. That would be the easiest relocation for his family and the Titans appear interested.

EDS is my guess of the player on the roster who could best play OC. He was better than I expected at OG last season but I don’t know how good he’d be at OC. I’m hoping for one of the UFA OCs and a rookie to vie for the spot along with EDS and Sampson Genus, a UDFA from last offseason who is listed only as an OC on the roster.
This season will be interesting as we play the Rams again. Oh,did I forget to mention that Wells signed a contract w/the Rams. The amount is not yet known

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts