Wells is top contender to replace Flanagan

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Source

Part of article:
The Packers aren’t anointing Wells publicly as their starter, but barring a surprising move in free agency or with a first-day draft pick, Wells almost surely will go into the offseason minicamps as their starting center. The seventh-round draft pick from 2004 is entering his third year in the NFL and will be moving back to his more natural position of center after struggling at left guard the final eight games last year.

Jeff Jagodzinski, the Packers’ offensive line coach, said Wells is more than capable of handling the line calls and adjustments incumbent on the center in the new zone-blocking scheme he’s bringing to the Packers from Atlanta. Jagodzinski looks for his centers to score at least a 25 out of 50 on the Wonderlic Personnel Test. Wells scored a 30.

“He’s a tough guy, smart, things that you look for in a center,â€

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a supporter of wells, have been since 2004. Hopefully with a FULL offseason training at center, and with some free weight action, he can turn it up a notch.

He was already better than Flanagan as of late, but they kept plugging him into guard spots.

Go Wells!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flanigan was hurt but his play was dropping off even before then. I'm happy that Flanny got his payday but I think the Texans overpaid for him and Wells will be just fine in his natural position. He's a scrappy player and will prove more than capable of manning the center position.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
He isnt that big but we have zone blocking so it wont matter as much.

Right, we need quicker, more agile lineman...and i'd rather have this o-line start getting together this year rather than sign flanagan back, have him get hurt, have to rotate linemen like we did all last year, yeah...

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Wells was not as good as Flannigan when Flannigan was healthy.

Wells is not as athletic as Flanagan was, but is a tough, feisty guy. Probably more like Frank Winters than Flanagan.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt the packers also use grey ruegamer at center at times last year he is a free agent as it stands right now and the pack i think used to have one of the best o-lines in the nfl until the had lost Rivera and Wahle and now Flanagan i hate to say it but if the pack dont sign any centers or guards and brett comes back he might get pounded

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I think the key to any offensive line is continuity. That's what we need to get back to. The reason our line was so good between 02-04 was not only the talent, but also the fact that all 5 had played together consistently. A line that's worked together frequently is sports' prime example of "the whole being greater than the sum of the parts".

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with you mattresell it is important that the same 5 linemen work together and keep working together for a long time and supposely it takes like atleast 2 years before the line starts to truely come together

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Wells, and I agree with Javon that we should have better continuity with him in there rather than the oft-injured Flanagan, and that's important. Now the Packers need to come up with some guards. And I hope they don't wait till opening day of the regular season to announce who's starting, as Sherman did last year.

Members online

Latest posts