Well well well..Pats use "bounties" too

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/2007-11-28-nfl-insider-patriots_N.htm

The money collected from the fines goes into a pot, Bruschi and Seymour said, that is dispersed after the following game. In the defense's case, the cash is typically awarded to the player who comes up with the first turnover.

"So we want a guy to be late," Seymour joked, "to get that pot up."

And messing up a technique in practice?

"That's a demerit," Seymour said. "More money in the pot."

In Sunday night's win against Philadelphia, cornerback Asante Samuel returned an interception for a 40-yard touchdown on the opening possession.

Said Seymour, "Asante got a nice little stash."

Players wouldn't reveal exactly how much was in the pot last week, but Bruschi said that it was subject to dispute. A player — whom Bruschi would only identify as a "veteran" — was late for a meeting and disagreed on how much money he was to be docked.

Veteran players, including team captains, huddled and set the amount.

How late was he?

"That was the dispute," Bruschi said. "How many minutes was he late and how much should be put in the pot."

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just one of those things that got tagged on one team at first, but every team does it. I don't understand why it was such a big deal when they reported that the Packers were under investigation for it. I've heard about stuff like this from so many teams.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just one of those things that got tagged on one team at first, but every team does it. I don't understand why it was such a big deal when they reported that the Packers were under investigation for it. I've heard about stuff like this from so many teams.

Just like the cameras. Everyone jump on the Pats, but probably everyone does it so its no big deal...right?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nathaniel said:

Just like the cameras. Everyone jump on the Pats, but probably everyone does it so its no big deal...right?

I didn't say it was right. Everyone knows the Pats weren't the first or only team to use cameras. They just got caught first. I didn't think that whole thing was a big deal either. In both cases, the league obviously just wanted to make an example.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
nathaniel said:

I didn't say it was right. Everyone knows the Pats weren't the first or only team to use cameras. They just got caught first. I didn't think that whole thing was a big deal either. In both cases, the league obviously just wanted to make an example.

Actually, i dont think that you can compare the two cases. A $500 bounty is NOTHING compared to video taping and probably audio taping plays. I really think that the pats got off relatively easily is that the league does no more people do it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A "bounty" is not to hurt someone, just a fun way to get your own guys a little more reason to play at their best. Kind of a fun thing.
According to what i have heard, ALL teams do this in some way.

Members online

Latest posts