Well the PG didn't waste any time bashing

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I haven't agreed with everything that TT has done and agree with points of article, but also I can give him credit in others.

Any bets if Vandermause gets any interview time or scoops from Thompson.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070812/PKR07/708120693/1947

Mike Vandermause column: First-team offense lives down to expectations

By Mike Vandermause

The worst fears about the Green Bay Packers' offense were realized Saturday in their preseason opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If the brutal performance turned in by the starters was any indication, the Packers could be in for a long year.

Questions abound about who will score this season, who will run the ball and who will catch Brett Favre's passes.

The Packers didn't supply any answers against the Steelers, and in fact, created more doubt about how they will move the ball.

The No. 1 offense went three-and-out on the first four series. It never came close to picking up a first down. It struggled to move beyond the line of scrimmage.

Before the starters were mercifully removed late in the first quarter, their four drives netted the following yardage totals: 3, minus-1, 5 and minus-4. If you don't have a calculator handy, that works out to 12 plays and 3 total yards, for an average gain of 9 inches per play.

Favre completed 2 of 7 passes for 7 yards. When he wasn't being pressured by blitzing Steelers defenders, Favre was struggling to find a receiver that could get open.

Rookie Brandon Jackson did nothing to make Packers fans forget Ahman Green. Jackson rushed three times for 8 yards playing with the starters.

To make matters even worse, the Packers' No. 1 unit was guilty of a fumbled snap and a holding penalty.

It was an alarming display of ineptitude, but the offensive struggles didn't come as a complete shock.

All offseason, General Manager Ted Thompson was quizzed about why he didn't do anything beyond the draft to bolster the offense.

The Packers were one of the worst teams in the NFL in red-zone efficiency last season and ranked in the bottom third of the league in scoring.

So what did the Packers do to address those problems?

Instead of adding any veterans in free agency or the trade market, the Packers allowed their starting running back (Green) and likely starting tight end (David Martin) to sign with other teams.

They were content to draft a running back, a pair of receivers and a tight end, and wait for players already on the roster to improve.

The Packers' passive offseason approach was curious, and the ugly consequences of that strategy were on display for everyone to see against the Steelers.

Based on the solid showing of the defense, the Packers appear to be a team that will have to win a lot of low-scoring games, which isn't an impossible task.

The Baltimore Ravens won a championship with virtually no offensive firepower in 2000, and the Chicago Bears advanced to the Super Bowl last season on the strength of their defense.

No team can be fairly judged on one quarter of preseason football. There is time for players to step out of the back-row shadows into the spotlight.

Jackson finished with 57 rushing yards on 16 carries, and fellow rookie James Jones hauled in six catches for 58 yards. Although those numbers came largely against Steelers' backups, they show there's at least potential for future offensive success.

The regular-season opener is four weeks away, so there's ample opportunity for the Packers to work out the bugs.

But Saturday night provided a snapshot of where the offense stands, and the picture isn't pretty.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't what he printed basically true? The media's job is to cover it from all angles, not look at everything through rose-colored glasses.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
funny how would David Martin was here all we heard was about his injuries. Now that he's gone, he's supposed to some great stud.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
funny how would David Martin was here all we heard was about his injuries. Now that he's gone, he's supposed to some great stud.

To me, that was one loss that really in the end helps. It was his time and Miami apparently isn't sold on him as they brought in two more TE's.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rookie Brandon Jackson did nothing to make Packers fans forget Ahman Green. Jackson rushed three times for 8 yards playing with the starters.

Greens #'s vs the Bears

3 atts 7 yards 2.9

Jacksons #'s
16 atts 57 yards for 3.6

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in another thread we obviously did not look great but we were at their place with a game already under their belts. Anybody that thinks we would have run and passed all over them in this situation is the one looking thru rose-colored glasses.

It's important that teams progress thru the pre season and that they move closer to where they want to be in the second game vs. the first. In other words the Steelers were on a different schedule with a different agenda then we were.

Obviously it would have been nice to come out a little more in sync and do some things but if I were a writer I would not go out stake my thoughts on the rest of the season based on the first pre season game.

A little early to be that harsh and I totally disagree that this is a "snapshot" of the regular season. It's the first pre season game for crying out loud. IF, and it's an if, there's a "snapshot" of where the team stands it will come in game three.

If the first pre season game was a snapshot of anything teams like Oakland and Detroit would be in the SB. I kinda doubt that's how it's going to play out.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you guys all know how slow the season starts for the packers, usually start off 0-4, or 1-3 before we get something going, guess that just shows we are still on track for about that kind of a start. I hate to say it but unless we get some major offensive spark or something to help them out, its gonna be like a high-school grade offense and a pro defense. There was a day when it didnt matter who was at receiver, brett would get it to them, but those days are gone. Still a great QB but he needs somebody to step up so he can throw the ball to them. We will all begin to understand now why brett put up such a fight to get randy moss, or someone.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you guys all know how slow the season starts for the packers, usually start off 0-4, or 1-3 before we get something going, guess that just shows we are still on track for about that kind of a start. I hate to say it but unless we get some major offensive spark or something to help them out, its gonna be like a high-school grade offense and a pro defense. There was a day when it didnt matter who was at receiver, brett would get it to them, but those days are gone. Still a great QB but he needs somebody to step up so he can throw the ball to them. We will all begin to understand now why brett put up such a fight to get randy moss, or someone.

Yeah thats not an acceptable reason. In todays NFL its very tough to start off 0-4 and make any kind of run. If Green Bay starts off 0-4 that reflects directly on McCarthy. Its unacceptable to start slow like that, you need to start out hot, and stay hot.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article was already posted on one of TOPHAT's threads, and I commented at the time that I think Vandermause was way over the top in condemning the first-string offense. I have to admit, I felt kind of like Vandermause did as I watched the first quarter, but then I put it into perspective. It's way too soon to panic.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the GB coaching staff is well aware of poor starts and is, in fact, is gearing to get out of the blocks better to begin the season.

For those of you that thinks that requires ripping the Steelers a new butt in the first pre season game I beg to differ.

I will go out on a little bit of a limb here and say we beat Philly in game one. For one thing it won't be A. Carroll replacing Woodson if he happens to get hurt. That's worth 14 points for the good team right there.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a pre-season game. Who gives a crap? The defending super bowl champs were winless in pre-season last year.

Members online

Latest posts