Well thats one coach [Mennenga]

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine is 99% gone, his contract is up. So who are some potential candidates to replace him? I hear a lot of people wanting Jim Leonhard

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine is 99% gone, his contract is up. So who are some potential candidates to replace him? I hear a lot of people wanting Jim Leonhard

I think Leonhard would be a stellar hire, I think his variant of the odd front would work well with our players and at the NFL level. Of course I dont want to lose him as Wisco.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Added which coach to title [/moderating]

At least MLF doesn't wait for a few years to make up his mind nor to convince Murphy someone has to go.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already have a thread about who we want for DC. Why not keep this on topic for ST candidates?

My list:

Levar Woods - Iowa
Jovann Dewitt - Nebraska
Kevin Sumlin - Alabama
Larry Porter - Auburn
Jay Boulware - Texas

EDIT - Thanks @Poppa San

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit, I had to do some serious research for Special Teams Coordinators. It's a job that not every coach has experience in (or even good at) and I had to defer to the college ranks. The really good ST Coordinators in the NFL are now being considered for Head Coaching Vacancies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked!! Mennenga took the 32nd ranked ST unit (under Zook) all the way to #26 in '19 and #29 in '20... how much more improvement can we handle? ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I had to do some serious research for Special Teams Coordinators. It's a job that not every coach has experience in (or even good at) and I had to defer to the college ranks. The really good ST Coordinators in the NFL are now being considered for Head Coaching Vacancies.
This is funny:
NFL's 'fire coordinator' scam now covers special teams
Top young college candidates from earlier this season in 247Sports’ 30Under30
Doug Shearer, Miami (Ohio), Special Teams Coordinator
Harrison Green, FIU, Special Teams Coordinator

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm familiar with both Shearer and Green, but the ST Coordinator's I mentioned, with the exception of I believe Shearer at Miami (OH) all had better performing units.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Leonhard a good old former Badger for Defensive Coordinator and He could bring the Watt Brothers along with Him! lol Wishful thinking I know.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Leonhard would be a stellar hire, I think his variant of the odd front would work well with our players and at the NFL level. Of course I dont want to lose him as Wisco.
Forgive me as it has been a very long week so far and after I hit likes and disagrees saw the post remind8ng. E this was off topic, but the odds I would remember these posts and being able to redo this in a different thread is minimal, so here goes,
I love Leonard at Wisconsin! So I don’t want him to leave. But I would love him to be our pro team DC. Quite the conundrum.

My disagree was for the poster discounting him because he worked for Pettiness. Yeah, that is auto correct at its worst. My disagreement being I think Pettine is a very good coordinator, and I think Leonard is a more modern version of that, just like Kyle Shanahan is a more modern version of his daddy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So happy to hear this news. The special teams units under Mennenga had gotten so bad, that they appeared to be out their just hoping to minimize making any huge blunders and in the process looked like a bunch of deer in the headlights. Coverage teams repeatedly giving up huge chunks of yards and return teams playing as if they were pee wee football players, playing against High Schoolers.

Now let's see if Gute can give the new ST's coach a legit returner as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was a no-brainer to move on from Mennenga after the special teams (aside of Crosby) were terrible all season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Not sure hiring from within will change anything.

I truly hope the Packers look outside of the organization to hire a special teams coordinator. The guys currently on the staff most likely were part of the problem.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts