well rounded ???

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
humm ,, well we have won 2 games and have looked like a different team ( at times ) ... then in the last game it seemed like we just fizzled out ... i dont get it ??? why can we play a complete game with out any fizzle ... im hard pressed to throw this on MM ,,, i think he managed a pritty good game this last one ... and i even saw him getting after players on the side line ... so my question is what does this team have to do to give out a full game butt wooping ??? and whats the issue ...now im not saying the play calling was perfect on bolth sides of the ball ... but i feel like we went in that game with a good plan and it worked ... if the 9ers had another 5 mins on the clock they may have beat us ... but thats here nor there we won ... i just dont think we can fizzle and let other teams have the same chance to win that we gave the 9ers ... what needs to happen ... i was supprised with our run game and lines bolth did pritty well ... were where they on all the other games ???

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, my position in this deal simly has to do with coaching.

I just think we went better prepared against Dallas and San Francisco. Specially against SF, the first half, the gameplan and playcall on both sides of the ball was the most perfect I've seen a gameplan be in a while. It helped that the OL and DL played so well, too.

But on the second half, the gameplan changed. The offense became more conservative, which IMHO was the right thing to do, given that we were 20+ points ahead of them. We started running more (except for the beginning of the 4th quarter, were unnexplicably MM called a 5 wide set, and Rodgers got sacked), and controlling more the clock.

The Defense, however, went more conservative. We were starting to give them more field, and starting to not be able to stop them.

Then Kampman went out, and Capers went full with the nickel defense, and rushing allways the same 4, as the 49ers were in the shotgun the whole time. They allowed 1 touchdown in the end of the 3rd quarter, still, and where still in control of the game.

But in the 4th quarter, after the Collins INT and our Touchdown, our ST gave a big play and due to Matthews covering Vernon Davis, they got another touchdown. That, if I'm not mistaken, is when Harris got hurt also.

Then we mantained the vanilla D, and Gore got another TD, puting the game close again.

But with a little more than 5 minutes remaining, the Offense got serious and closed the game.
---------------
At the time, I just got pissed about the Vanilla D. But I'm willing to put together the Vanilla D, the injuries and just the more relaxed position the team were in, as well as the 49ers change on offense (almost every single snap at the 2nd half was made in the shotgun) as causes for their reaction.

I also got a upset that we didn't completely overblown them, but looking now, they got the job done. I can't stabilish a corelation of the 49ers reaction with an eventual loss next game. We completely dominated the Browns and then lost a crucial game against the Vikings.
-------
And about the running game, this is the 3rd season that Grant got better late in the season. The first, he only played late. The second, he was injuried in the first half of the season. But now there's no evident explanation to it. I just think he gets better as the season goes on.

The OL, for the first tme this season, Both Tauscher and Clifton were healthy. Tauscher left in the 4th quarter, but he's not 100% yet. They do make a world of difference. It's incredible how much Barbre hurted this OL. Not that they're good right now, but with the more West Coast playcall, and with both Tackles in there, I think we can be a better team.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The major benefactor to the packers during that game had to be the offensive line play. I don't care what anybody says but if tauscher had been able to play starting from the first game of this season this guy would be in the running to win comeback player of the year. He had some very critical blocks set up early in the first quarter to jumpstart grant and give ample time for Rodgers to throw the ball.

Defensively I keep wondering what happened to that packers D that we got so hyped up over during the preseason. I know that preseason doesn't always tell the whole story but with the amount of turnovers that we were getting plus that immense 1st half blowout at arizona, it completely sealed the deal that this defense could lead the pack straight to a super bowl. Simply put I think Capers was a lot more open with the blitzes so as to test what the players could or couldn't do. For the most part it worked and that's what needs to keep happening in order for us to keep our head in the game.

OP
OP
mike bat

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offence but we have just won two games, who cares if we fizzled out we still won :D

I dont care if we win a superbowl and we fizzle out in the last 5 mins

this is my point ... thank you for finding it ... my point is yea we won ... however if we try this half time fizzle agenst any good teams we loose that game ,, dig ... say we do this agenst the ravens ,, i bet there is a different out come ...

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is my point ... thank you for finding it ... my point is yea we won ... however if we try this half time fizzle agenst any good teams we loose that game ,, dig ... say we do this agenst the ravens ,, i bet there is a different out come ...

Yeah true. I suppose the Ravens would beat us bad. Flaco is a different QB than the 2 teams we just beat

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers and Ravens. Those games are gonna be tough, since they are the masters of the 3-4 D. Against the Ravens we still have the home field advantage and stuff. But against the Steelers in Pittsburgh...oh, big time.

Our D should be prepared for the whole game and should not to play vanilla in the second half. A team that want to be in the playoffs should start fast and finish strong. No time for messing around.

Members online

Latest posts