Well, if Rodgers actually asked to re-sign Cobb?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that means Cobb earned the paycheck he is about to receive, in the 4th quarter of the Bills game... When Rodgers steps outside the bounds of player/coach/managment, relationship. You listen. The guy is the perfect professional. he doesnt speak up when its not his job to do so. The only other time (I remember) him speaking up like this was when James Jones was essentially let go, and Rodgers (after watching the drama unfold) said enough is enough. Called for Jones to be signed , and Thompson seemingly picked up the phone, and called with the "prove it" deal. I thought the whole situation interesting... GB does NOT let players manipulate. As soon as they try, the begining of the end has come.... Out of principle, the player can not win. So this was a first for me... Now this with Cobb is a second....

Ever since speculation come about that Cobb might not get re-signed. Essentially pricing himself out. He has been stepping up. Not so much in TDs, but in impact/clutch plays. The 4th quarter of the Bills game was impressive. Obviously Cobb has made the impact on Rodgers..... And Rodgers is the gauge for team mo-jo. The Magic is directly relative to Rodgers mo-jo. So Thompson needs to pay attention...

It will be interesting to see how this turns out...... My opinion is now, that Cobb will get more. And he will stay for less...... Because you can bet. Rodgers did the ground work for this statement. Cobb is on board. And if our field general has his back. I got his back. Get it done teddy/Cobb. Lets get some rings.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodger's comment may be a message to TT to get (more) serious with their offer, or possibly to Cobb to decrease his "demands"?? Signing him is a two way street, and as usual both sides come in with an unrealistic #. Cobb's current deal is less than $1Mil/yr. and obviously he's earned a substantial raise, everyone sees that. Maybe this AR comment is aimed at decreasing potential animosity and getting both sides in the "realistic" price range?

AR adds value to Cobb, and Cobb adds value to AR and the offense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson isn’t so foolish as to make a decision about a player based upon a couple of games, let alone one game, and certainly not based upon one quarter of play. And more than just on-the-field issues are evaluated – all of which is very much in Cobb’s favor. I don’t like players meddling publically with the GM’s job but Rodgers has been talking up Cobb for quite a while - even before the beginning of last season. Here’s part of an interview with Rodgers in June of 2013. Notice the reference to earlier praise in the first question:
Q. You predicted Randall Cobb's ascent awhile back. How did that relationship grow, and how did you two click so well? A. He cares about it a lot. He puts a lot of extra time in. He watches a ton of film. … Randall sees the game through the eyes of a quarterback because he was a quarterback. So he understands timing and spacing and when he has to get out of his breaks.
Q. How good do you think he can be?
A.
I think he can be a 100-catch guy. We haven't had that here in a while. But I think he can. I think he's a special player. As long as he can stay healthy, I think he's going to be a big-time star for us.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...en-bays-new-offense-b9923255z1-209813281.html

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't think that TT factors Rodgers into the equation. TT and his staff know what they have in Cobb, and more than anyone, he knows the current status and expected pace of the negotiations. If he can strike a win-win deal he will do it. He doesn't need the quarterback or anyone else restating the value of Cobb. It's obvious to everyone. That said, Thompson draws a line in the sand and if you cross that financially he'll let you walk. He's not afraid to call those bluffs and if there is one position he's been good at staffing it's WR. He certainly wants to resign Cobb but probably isn't afraid to let him walk.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb coming back will come down to how much Cobb wants and how much other teams are willing to pay. I don't think Cobb should get a contract earning more than Nelson and if Cobb is demanding that then the Packers should probably let him walk. I say that mainly because Nelson is a better receiver and Cobb has struggled with injuries at times, though to balance that he is a terrific "in-space" guy and has phenomenal hands. Now, I don't think another team will pay him $10m plus a season (which is what he would earn if he was above Nelson) so it becomes a moot point. Victor Cruz's contract would be about where Cobb should be paid; taking salary inflation into account I would say the max would be $9m per year.

As for Rodgers comments, take them for what they are. A player (not management) supporting a teammate in public. When was the last time you heard a player say, "we should let him walk"?

D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb coming back will come down to how much Cobb wants and how much other teams are willing to pay. I don't think Cobb should get a contract earning more than Nelson and if Cobb is demanding that then the Packers should probably let him walk. I say that mainly because Nelson is a better receiver and Cobb has struggled with injuries at times, though to balance that he is a terrific "in-space" guy and has phenomenal hands. Now, I don't think another team will pay him $10m plus a season (which is what he would earn if he was above Nelson) so it becomes a moot point. Victor Cruz's contract would be about where Cobb should be paid; taking salary inflation into account I would say the max would be $9m per year.

As for Rodgers comments, take them for what they are. A player (not management) supporting a teammate in public. When was the last time you heard a player say, "we should let him walk"?

I think Cobb will get a deal close to the one Nelson signed this offseason mainly because he is five years younger.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think GB values him as much as other , more desperate teams. But you HAVE to figure in what Rodgers thinks. Maybe I misunderstood the headline. It doesnt sound like Rodgers overstepped his bounds. I thought he had, which would speak to his strength of opinion....

Regardless. Its up to Cobb to accept or reject the deal put on the table... He will get a deal. But when? (after the season) And for how much? Nelson got 4mil a year for his second deal. Cobb shined a little more during the rookie contract. And with cap inflation. Im guessing Thompson is thinking 5 or 6 mil for the 2nd contract for Cobb. Not the 8-10 everyone is speculating he is worth. Now will some team in desperate need of a WR see the value of his youth, multiplied by his highlight reel (of Rodgers MVP arm). Will they be willing to try and build a offense around him? Yes.

I guess we will see if Cobbs humility is real...

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb will get a deal close to the one Nelson signed this offseason mainly because he is five years younger.

Cobb has been somewhat injury prone at times and this is his first 1,000 yard season. I'm not saying the guy is not a good receiver but he doesn't deserve a contract commensurate with Nelson. When Nelson signed his contract he had two 1,000 yard seasons under his belt (and one of those was when we had a who's who of career backups playing QB).

What exactly has Cobb done that would put him ahead of Cruz on the slot-receiver scale? I know Cruz is injured now but he wasn't when he signed his deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb has been somewhat injury prone at times and this is his first 1,000 yard season. I'm not saying the guy is not a good receiver but he doesn't deserve a contract commensurate with Nelson. When Nelson signed his contract he had two 1,000 yard seasons under his belt (and one of those was when we had a who's who of career backups playing QB).

Aside of the time Cobb missed because of the freak injury he suffered in Baltimore last season he has missed a total of two games (both regular season finales in 2011 and 2012). I don´t think that qualifies him as being injury prone.

What exactly has Cobb done that would put him ahead of Cruz on the slot-receiver scale? I know Cruz is injured now but he wasn't when he signed his deal.

Cobb leads all WRs in receptions, receiving yards and TDs out of the slot this season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's going to get a nice contract. If it's going to be from Green Bay it's going to be a contract that reflects what mgmt deems to be fair value and does not hamstring the Packer's future. Ultimately, it depends on how much Cobb values playing in this organization and having Rodgers as his QB because he's not going to get a 3m low ball offer. It's probably going to average 6-8 M a year.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Players should play.

If anyone other than the GM and HIS staff should have a say in who gets signed/drafted/released it's the Head Coach who factors in what HIS staff says before he expresses his opinion to the GM.

Reaction score
Well.. the Tampa game just confirmed what we already know.. We need Cobb,, hes good and he's a "known"

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb WILL be re-signed. I think its a foregone conclusion. Its nothing to worry about.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm inclined to think some other team will be willing to put up a significant amount of GARAUNTEED money above what GB will pony up. Cobb would be foolish not to take the biggest garaunteed deal

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think GB values him as much as other , more desperate teams. But you HAVE to figure in what Rodgers thinks. Maybe I misunderstood the headline. It doesnt sound like Rodgers overstepped his bounds. I thought he had, which would speak to his strength of opinion....

Regardless. Its up to Cobb to accept or reject the deal put on the table... He will get a deal. But when? (after the season) And for how much? Nelson got 4mil a year for his second deal. Cobb shined a little more during the rookie contract. And with cap inflation. Im guessing Thompson is thinking 5 or 6 mil for the 2nd contract for Cobb. Not the 8-10 everyone is speculating he is worth. Now will some team in desperate need of a WR see the value of his youth, multiplied by his highlight reel (of Rodgers MVP arm). Will they be willing to try and build a offense around him? Yes.

Ill be very clear..... Theres is about a zero percent chance we resign Cobb at 5-6 mill per year and its more then a little foolish to compare Cobbs up comming deal to Jordys deal years back just because they'd both be each guys second contract.

The situations are COMPLETELY different. Jordy was splitting time with Jones as the number 3 wide out behind DD n Jennings going into that season he signed. Cobb is having a Pro Bowl year with the only other WR, besides him n Jordy, on the roster deserving of snaps being a rookie in Adams.

Productivity + supply & demand means Cobbs second contract will eclipse Jordys second contract by alot

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The difference between $5M-$6M and $8M-$10M is between a 33% and 50% difference. Would you stay with your employer if your competitor offered you a 50% bump in salary? I wouldn't. Or at least, I would go to my employer and say, "This is how much they value me, can you at least get in the ballpark of that?"

Humility is one thing, smart career choices are entirely another. Cobb isn't staying for $5M - $6M. If they can keep him for $8M, I'll be thrilled.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what they'll have to pay, but my opinion is they will get a deal done with him at some point. He's a young WR hitting his prime, we draft and develop. our aging guys are gone and we have the best QB in the league, now. I think Rodgers and Cobb value what each other adds to their level of play and I don't think that goes unnoticed by the front office.

If Abbredaris or Janis were getting on the field and producing and Adams was looking like a 3 year vet maybe the picture is different. but they aren't and Adams, outside of a couple plays and despite everyone telling me how good he's been playing, hasn't really impressed me this year. I think he has the tools, and I think he'll get there, but Boykin looked this good before too and look where he is now.

I think if you're depending on the draft, you don't let your star players go when they hit the prime of their career.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I don't know what they'll have to pay, but my opinion is they will get a deal done with him at some point.

Don't they have around 25 - 30 million of cap room next year? (I've read varying reports)

If they find a suitable replacement for Hawk, that frees up another 5 million.

So there is an attractive scenario.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know what they'll have to pay, but my opinion is they will get a deal done with him at some point. He's a young WR hitting his prime, we draft and develop. our aging guys are gone and we have the best QB in the league, now. I think Rodgers and Cobb value what each other adds to their level of play and I don't think that goes unnoticed by the front office.

If Abbredaris or Janis were getting on the field and producing and Adams was looking like a 3 year vet maybe the picture is different. but they aren't and Adams, outside of a couple plays and despite everyone telling me how good he's been playing, hasn't really impressed me this year. I think he has the tools, and I think he'll get there, but Boykin looked this good before too and look where he is now.

I think if you're depending on the draft, you don't let your star players go when they hit the prime of their career.

Adams had some bad drops over the last few seasons but has been pretty good for a Packers rookie receiver. He has more receptions, receiving yards and TDs than Cobb and Nelson had during their rookie seasons. It´s not as easy to produce right away with the Packers as they have great #1 and #2 WRs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts