Well, if Rodgers actually asked to re-sign Cobb?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Using post #55 from sschind's example I don't think the 20% difference in SB would matter to Cobb. Yes, this is a violent game and at age 25 Cobb may or may not see another contract offer... but when faced with a possible decision of #1: 4 more years of yearly playoff contention and AR throwing the ball or #2: 4 years of Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, Jay Cutler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, or Brian Hoyer throwing the ball the choice seems pretty obvious - that $5Mil isn't worth sucking for the next 4 years when you've already banked $25-$35Mil.

Why do fans always think, "Well gee, he's already made X millions, he doesn't need any more money! He's set for life!" What if that player has has goals and aspirations that require more money? What if Cobb wanted to be a part owner of an NFL franchise when he retires? Is $30 million net worth really going to accomplish that? What if Cobb wanted to buy his parents a house in Malibu because that's what they've always wanted? Well, that $5 million he turned down was that house. Is it worth sucking for four years to give your parents their dream? A lot of people would say it's worth it.

Fans have no idea what goals a player might have and it almost sounds patronizing when fans start saying that a player doesn't need any more money.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its just the opposite. I think it was a much bigger sacrifice for Mondio and his wife to turn down the higher offers they received. I know if I was making 50 grand and someone offered me 70 I'd think a lot harder about it than if I were making 10 million and someone offered me 14. The extra 20 grand in the first instance might make a big difference in my standard of living but I doubt the extra 4 million on top of the 10 I was already making would make much of a difference. Especially if taking the extra 4 million means I might really be limiting my potential for whatever reason.

Of course like I said earlier and ThxJackVainisi reiterated it may not come down to the choice between more money and a good team. A good team might offer him more money. In that case I would still think Cobb would be foolish to leave even if it were for the Patriots or Seahawks. I'd play for the Packers for A LOT less than I would for any other team but then I am rather biased towards the Packers. It's quite probable that Cobb does not have that same kind of bias.

Maybe people with net worth over a few hundred million would turn down $4 million but 99.99% of the rest of us wouldn't have to think very long about telling a competing firm that, "sure, I'll come work for you for $4 million extra over what I'm making now and for doing the exact same thing".

It's real easy to tell OTHER people what they should do with their finances.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will take a $6.25M cap hit if they cut Shields after 2 years. That is not "virtually no cap ramifications."

You forgot the part where they also save $5.875 million for an ACTUAL impact of $375,000 which IS "virtually no cap ramification".

D

Deleted member 6794

You forgot the part where they also save $5.875 million for an ACTUAL impact of $375,000 which IS "virtually no cap ramification".

If the Packers cut Shields after two seasons it will result in dead money of $6.25 million counting towards the cap with the player not being on the roster anymore.

It doesn't matter how much cap space a team saves by such a move, a huge amount of dead money results in cap issues at some point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then look at those numbers against top receivers and go play with Verner. Sherman at 14 mill per year or Shields at 9? Thank god TT understands value the way he does.

Shields ranks 65th among all corners in opponents passer rating. He's not even close to being a top 5 corner.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Cobb wanted to be a part owner of an NFL franchise when he retires? Is $30 million net worth really going to accomplish that?
Wow, you got me there... no possible way for him to be a part owner of an NFL franchise with a net worth of only $30Million, but super easy to achieve that goal with a net worth of $35Million. I'm tired of attempting a meaningful discussion with a fan who knows everything, yet spews that us "other fans" know nothing.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Umm, no. That is not how it works. Yes, the cap hit is obviously bigger if he actually plays for the team than if he cut, like pretty much every other player in the league. That does not mean that every player out there with a $12M salary and a $6M cap hit if he is cut incurs virtually "no cap ramification" if he is cut. :rolleyes:

The $375,000 number that you quoted figures into the equation nowhere. He counts for $12.125 against the cap in 2016 if he plays for the Packers, and $6.25M in dead money if he is to be cut. Considering that's more dead money than we have on the entire roster this year, that's a significant cap ramification and a lot to pay someone not to play for you.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Shields ranks 65th among all corners in opponents passer rating. He's not even close to being a top 5 corner.

That's your opinion. For what he is asked to do I believe he is. Watch him lock down "megatron" Sunday and get back to me.

He is a "play maker" and I will Take him all day long over many that some people on here have on there "love list".

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do fans always think, "Well gee, he's already made X millions, he doesn't need any more money! He's set for life!" What if that player has has goals and aspirations that require more money? What if Cobb wanted to be a part owner of an NFL franchise when he retires? Is $30 million net worth really going to accomplish that? What if Cobb wanted to buy his parents a house in Malibu because that's what they've always wanted? Well, that $5 million he turned down was that house. Is it worth sucking for four years to give your parents their dream? A lot of people would say it's worth it.

Fans have no idea what goals a player might have and it almost sounds patronizing when fans start saying that a player doesn't need any more money.

Plus, for a lot of these guys, the NFL may be the only job they ever have. That's not selfish of them, that's smart. If they're smart about their money, the time for the rest of their lives is their own. I know if I had that opportunity I would sure want to take it.

If that's their goal, yes the extra millions matter. I'm 32, if I got $1M today I couldn't retire. I'd have to keep working. Later retirement ages, rising medical costs. Many of these guys probably want the security of never having to worry about that and also may have many other goals with it: helping family members, travelling, giving to charities, etc. They probably would also like to live comfortably and not just skate by, and I certainly don't begrudge them that.

Having a great QB throw you the ball your entire career is certainly a luxury but wouldn't outweigh everything in the paragraph above. At least not for me.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's your opinion. For what he is asked to do I believe he is. Watch him lock down "megatron" Sunday and get back to me.

He is a "play maker" and I will Take him all day long over many that some people on here have on there "love list".

The opponents passer rating against isn't an opinion but a fact. Shields has given up way too many big plays this season.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then look at those numbers against top receivers and go play with Verner. Sherman at 14 mill per year or Shields at 9? Thank god TT understands value the way he does.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm not sure if you're still referring to last year, but the few true WR1's that we've faced this year have generally shredded us. Shields got absolutely destroyed by Julio a few weeks ago.

In the highlight you're showing, Shields made a great break on the ball but got shredded for 11/153/1 against Dez Bryant in that game. Again, not an example.

Shields has his great games where he performs well against top corners but you're acting like he puts top WR's out on an island every game. Show me one actual statistical measure by which Shields is a top 5 corner, other than your opinion. I'd love to believe you, I'd like to think we'll get our money's worth and I like Shields, but you'd be hard-pressed to find any unbiased analysts who grade Shields out as a top 5 NFL cover corner.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're still referring to last year, but the few true WR1's that we've faced this year have generally shredded us. Shields got absolutely destroyed by Julio a few weeks ago.

In the highlight you're showing, Shields made a great break on the ball but got shredded for 11/153/1 against Dez Bryant in that game. Again, not an example.

Shields has his great games where he performs well against top corners but you're acting like he puts top WR's out on an island every game. Show me one actual statistical measure by which Shields is a top 5 corner, other than your opinion. I'd love to believe you, I'd like to think we'll get our money's worth and I like Shields, but you'd be hard-pressed to find any unbiased analysts who grade Shields out as a top 5 NFL cover corner.

Yeah and there was absolutely no pass rush in that Dallas game either. I am aware of Julios Jones and some problems in that game. It's my opinion that Shields will be "money" on this run were getting ready to go on.

Sam Shields is one of the last guys I worry about moving forward. This guy helped us win a Super Bowl. How disrespectful for you guys to doubt Sammie.

Richard Sherman tips a pass to some dude and he is the Self proclaimed "Baddest man on the Planet" and everyone has a "love fest".

I am so tired of fraud. Is this not clutch enough for ya. Shields will bet there when it counts. Bet on that.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and there was absolutely no pass rush in that Dallas game either. I am aware of Julios Jones and some problems in that game. It's my opinion that Shields will be "money" on this run were getting ready to go on.

Sam Shields is one of the last guys I worry about moving forward. This guy helped us win a Super Bowl. How disrespectful for you guys to doubt Sammie.

Richard Sherman tips a pass to some dude and he is the Self proclaimed "Baddest man on the Planet" and everyone has a "love fest".

I am so tired of fraud. Is this not clutch enough for ya. Shields will bet there when it counts. Bet on that.

Ha, I am well aware that Shields was a big part of the 2010 Super Bowl run and certainly appreciate what he did to make that happen, saying he is not a top 5 corner is not "disrespect."

It's obvious that your opinions on Shields are based on you being a big fan of him and you're not going to listen to any amount of any unbiased statistical reasoning with respect to other corners in the NFL and what they do so there's really no point in debating it further.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm able to take an objective look at the Packers and their opponents while it seems to me that you're not capable of doing that, especially if it comes to the Seahawks.

Here's an amazing number for you (even I wasn't aware the guy is that good): Since entering the league in 2011 as a fifth-round pick Sherman has allowed an opponents passer rating of 42.6 (!!!) while being targeted 308 times.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is not a top 5 corner, but watching him tells me he's much better than 65th. He's had some rough times this year, but so has our entire team. I think he's a solid player for us.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm able to take an objective look at the Packers and their opponents while it seems to me that you're not capable of doing that, especially if it comes to the Seahawks.

Here's an amazing number for you (even I wasn't aware the guy is that good): Since entering the league in 2011 as a fifth-round pick Sherman has allowed an opponents passer rating of 42.6 (!!!) while being targeted 308 times.

It's a skewed stat and some of it shows he is good at what he does but it is also a completely different scheme he plays in that allows for that. You could take Devon House and plug him in to that scheme and situation and he would have similar success.

I am going to say it one more time in capital letters so maybe you guys will understand. "COVER CORNER". let me say it again. "COVER CORNER"

"COVER CORNER"

"COVER CORNER"

"COVER CORNER"

I am going to make a song called "COVER CORNER". Geez. Richard Sherman is not a "COVER CORNER". They experimented with him in the slot and it "FAILED", "FAILED", "FAILED"

I don't feel I am being biased here as if Shields played for any other team I would feel the same way as I would with what Richard Sherman does. I have no problem being critical of Packers and I wish there was some type of stat that illustrates what each player means to there scheme but unfortunately there is not.

I will let you two carry on with your "Richard Sherman Love Fest".

D

Deleted member 6794

Shields is not a top 5 corner, but watching him tells me he's much better than 65th. He's had some rough times this year, but so has our entire team. I think he's a solid player for us.

I think he's better than 65th as well but taking a closer look at his numbers prove even further he's not a top corner.

Only six CBs have missed more tackles than him and only nine have allowed more yards per completion in addition to the mediocre passer rating.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think he's better than 65th as well but taking a closer look at his numbers prove even further he's not a top corner.

Only six CBs have missed more tackles than him and only nine have allowed more yards per completion in addition to the mediocre passer rating.

You guys need to put the stat sheets down and find me five guys in the league that can run around against the other teams no.1 guy "all over the field" and take him out or at least slow him down.

You will be hard pressed and that's why Shields got and deserved his contract.

End of story.

And if you throw in that you can't pay em any more then Shields your sunk.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how much cap space a team saves by such a move, a huge amount of dead money results in cap issues at some point.
Does it? I agree overall it’s a bad situation whenever there’s a significant about of dead money on the cap. It means the team made mistakes on at least one, or several players and there's no guarantee their replacements will be any better. But just with regard to the cap implications, consider this hypothetical situation:

Assume the following: The Packers waive a player who was due a total of $8M of compensation in 2015. The dead money on the contract is $6M. The player’s replacement has a cap hit of $1M in 2015. (As I wrote above, that’s not a great situation because the Packers thought they were signing a player worthy of that deal and that turned out not to be true.) However, strictly for cap purposes that transaction results in a net positive for the Packers cap in 2015. Yes, there is a $6M cap hit, but that applies only in the 2015 fiscal year and disappears thereafter. Even if you add in the cost of an additional player on the roster at minimum salary, it’s slightly a net positive for the 2015 cap. Dead cap money only affects the cap in the year it is charged, so how does it affect cap issues “at some point”?

D

Deleted member 6794

I am going to make a song called "COVER CORNER". Geez. Richard Sherman is not a "COVER CORNER". They experimented with him in the slot and it "FAILED", "FAILED", "FAILED"

Sherman has only been targeted 18 times in the slot over his four year career allowing a passer rating of 38.9, please don't make things up.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sherman has only been targeted 18 times in the slot over his four year career allowing a passer rating of 38.9, please don't make things up.

I don't give a "rats ***" about about Richard Sherman. We got a a guy like him in Devon House and it doesn't cost no 14 million dollars. In fact House is faster then Sherman. We don't really play any deep cover 3 so Richards Sherman's slow *** does nothing for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does it? I agree overall it’s a bad situation whenever there’s a significant about of dead money on the cap. It means the team made mistakes on at least one, or several players and there's no guarantee their replacements will be any better. But just with regard to the cap implications, consider this hypothetical situation:

Assume the following: The Packers waive a player who was due a total of $8M of compensation in 2015. The dead money on the contract is $6M. The player’s replacement has a cap hit of $1M in 2015. (As I wrote above, that’s not a great situation because the Packers thought they were signing a player worthy of that deal and that turned out not to be true.) However, strictly for cap purposes that transaction results in a net positive for the Packers cap in 2015. Yes, there is a $6M cap hit, but that applies only in the 2015 fiscal year and disappears thereafter. Even if you add in the cost of an additional player on the roster at minimum salary, it’s slightly a net positive for the 2015 cap. Dead cap money only affects the cap in the year it is charged, so how does it affect cap issues “at some point”?

Well, the best solution would be to be able to keep the dead money at a minimum under all circumstances. It doesn't always work out that way but while it only affects a single year directly it reduces the money being allowed to roll over as well. In addition you have to find an adequate and cheap replacement for your scenario to work out.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You guys need to put the stat sheets down and find me five guys in the league that can run around against the other teams no.1 guy "all over the field" and take him out or at least slow him down.

You will be hard pressed and that's why Shields got and deserved his contract.

End of story.

And if you throw in that you can't pay em any more then Shields your sunk.

You disagree but you can't come up with 5 guys that can do what we ask Shields to do within the "salary requirements". Give them to me. I really could use a good laugh.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe that the Seahawks could just plug Davon House into their defense and get the same production as they get now?

Man, if it's this easy, I guess we need to play a little more Cover 3 on D. I wouldn't mind having the productivity of the Seahawks D.

C'mon, man. I hate the Seahawks and Richard Sherman but let's at least attempt to look fairly at things here.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't give a "rats ***" about about Richard Sherman. We got a a guy like him in Devon House and it doesn't cost no 14 million dollars. In fact House is faster then Sherman. We don't really play any deep cover 3 so Richards Sherman's slow *** does nothing for us.

You really don't believe Sherman could line up all over the field man to man with his back to the QB all game with little help do ya?

Let me ask you this. Do you know what "slow hips" mean in regards to db's?

Members online

Latest posts