Well, if Rodgers actually asked to re-sign Cobb?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the money was the same, every GM would and should take Peterson over Shields. I'm a Shields guy, you can check, I've supported the Packers re-signing him from the beginning. However,Peterson is just as good in man coverage, much bigger and Peterson is a game changing player on special teams.

I agree all the way. If the moneys even Peterson all day over Shields. I really like Shields but honestly Tramons been better this year imo. Not a knock on Shields but ive seen Tramon on enough #1s this year in man coverage to say they arent having Shields shadow the opposings number one wideout as much as they did even last year.

If the moneys even its Peterson over Shields hands down just for his playmaking ability...... That being said NO CB this side of Deon is worth 10+ mill a year unless its on a one year final piece of the puzzle type deal. Your almost allways better off spending that money on a DE, DT or LB that can cause havok and make the ENTIRE secondary look better

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between $5M-$6M and $8M-$10M is between a 33% and 50% difference. Would you stay with your employer if your competitor offered you a 50% bump in salary? I wouldn't. Or at least, I would go to my employer and say, "This is how much they value me, can you at least get in the ballpark of that?"

Humility is one thing, smart career choices are entirely another. Cobb isn't staying for $5M - $6M. If they can keep him for $8M, I'll be thrilled.
Thats the normal shallow American way. Money rules all..... Truth is, there are things he can be here that he will never be anywhere else. Rodgers throwing the ball... The trip to Hall of fame, most top tier QBs bring their WRs with them to the hall. Hero status. In Sanfran he is another football player. In Greenbay he will never buy another beer, or dinner again. Stable franchise and great team currently. Cost of living in Greenbay. 6000sq/ft on Lake Michigan, vs 6000 sq/ft on the ocean is about half the contract difference alone. Then speculate actual personal accomplishments. Collecting stats from age 20, you can break records, with a QB like Rodgers... Rice isnt Jerry Rice, without Montana and Young... And Cobb could easily be nate Washington from the Titans..... Who? EXACTLY!!! He will be on an island alone with his huge contract. In Greenbay, he has a job to do, that he already does well. Respect is building more and more every year. Eventually he will get the big payday from GB. But he's not there quite yet. Business wise...

Could he say forget us, and take off? yes. would it hurt us? yes, pretty bad. Will Thompson be afraid to do what he has to do? Nope! Follow the masters plan, or get off on the next stop.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats the normal shallow American way. Money rules all..... Truth is, there are things he can be here that he will never be anywhere else. Rodgers throwing the ball... The trip to Hall of fame, most top tier QBs bring their WRs with them to the hall. Hero status. In Sanfran he is another football player. In Greenbay he will never buy another beer, or dinner again. Stable franchise and great team currently. Cost of living in Greenbay. 6000sq/ft on Lake Michigan, vs 6000 sq/ft on the ocean is about half the contract difference alone. Then speculate actual personal accomplishments. Collecting stats from age 20, you can break records, with a QB like Rodgers... Rice isnt Jerry Rice, without Montana and Young... And Cobb could easily be nate Washington from the Titans..... Who? EXACTLY!!! He will be on an island alone with his huge contract. In Greenbay, he has a job to do, that he already does well. Respect is building more and more every year. Eventually he will get the big payday from GB. But he's not there quite yet. Business wise...

Could he say forget us, and take off? yes. would it hurt us? yes, pretty bad. Will Thompson be afraid to do what he has to do? Nope! Follow the masters plan, or get off on the next stop.

- It's so easy for us to say "$6M-$7M would be plenty for me I don't need $9M-$10M, because it is just a fantasy to us. For Cobb, it could be a real decision. The point has been beaten to death, but it is not our place to tell Randall Cobb how much money he should be content with.

- Think of all the factors that could possibly go into that decision. What are the tax implications going to be? If he suffered a career ending injury today and couldn't work for the rest of his life, could he retire and still do what he wants to do? Does he want to start a charity? Does he want to ensure that future generations of his family never have to work? Does he have family members he wants to help? Is his mother sick and he wants to spend the next few years living closer to her? Does he want to start a family soon and plan on settling down someplace south and sending his kids to private school? We have absolutely no idea.

- As fans we tend to look at Green Bay as hallowed ground of the NFL and assume that every player dreams of spending a career here. Sure, that and becoming a Packer legend and spending a career here sounds great to us. Not every player feels this way. Many would rather not spend much of their lives in the harsh cold winters in a small town. That's just a matter of personal preference, and Cobb may love it here, but we can't assume Green Bay is for everyone.

- Yes, he is there yet as far as a big payday. He has fulfilled his rookie contract and is far ahead of where Nelson was when he signed his first post-rookie contract. He will get a big payday. Only question is how much and whether it will be here or somewhere else.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain how he isnt due for a big pay day from GB buisness wise yet?

90 catchs, 1200 yards recieving and 12 TD catchs while also working out of the backfield and sharing punt return duties.

All that adds up to me is that he's EARNED a big pay day from GB this year. Some might argue that theyd like to see those numbers for 3-4 strait years before he gets paid big money but thats not the world of the NFL.

Cobb will get a big pay day from us. He's earned it buisness wise.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts