1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Weird day at work

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Poppa San, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    There were about 60 people in my department. Today was the last day for a dozen that accepted early retirement. Almost a years pay with cobra insurance until medicare age. Great terms for them. About half a millenium of knowledge out the door. Least senior had over 37 years there and the most senior not far from 50. He told me he graduated on a Friday, called and asked what time he should show up for work on Monday. Never applied or interviewed. This past decade his annual salary was closing in on 6 digits with 50-60 hour work weeks. Going to be bizarre next few weeks being one of the old timers for sure.

2. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +950
    Good luck to all.

3. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Pappa San, Monday morning march right into your boss's office and demand a raise: You're one of the old farts now! ;)

4. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Holy smoke. That is quite the 'brain drain' in one shot.

When I changed employers about 11 years ago ... the HR woman was walking me through the bank introducing me to the employees. It was evident that it had been pre-planned because each employee was asked to tell me how long they've been at the bank. I'm not kidding... 35 years...39 years...30 years...40 years...one after the other. Then, we went into one of the lender's offices and one of their 40 year employees told the HR lady, "Wow, Nancy...you hired a young one this time." I was 45 with 20 years in the business...

...anyway, they've all since retired including most of the Board of Directors since then... the steady parade of people into my office and calls to my office and Email has increased exponentially and ... JUST ... KEEP ... COMING!!! ... because hey... I'm a freegin' reference book now.

THIS is what you now have to look forward to, Poppa. Welcome to my nightmare. :)

5. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    They gave me a 25% raise last year to keep me knowing this was going to happen anyway, just not at once. Layoffs hit next week and this keeps the apprentices and younger guys from leaving.

6. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    That was then. Re-introduce yourself as Kam Chancellor ... and, I guess hope for a different result than his....

• Funny Funny x 1