Week 6 vs Detroit MNF: Time For Big Time Payback

Reaction score
Well, they had a 9 point lead up until things got nuts. A GB drive that should have ended in a punt resulted in 7 points due to an errant call, then a Detroit drive was killed on a missed DPI (already in field goal range), and another GB drive was extended on another errant call (killing clock in the process).

You cannot simply make the argument that Detroit didn't do enough while ignoring that without those 3 events occurring, GB's chances to win go down significantly.
I’m still totally amazed that ref took my bribe. He was supposed to be more discreet about the phantom calls... but hey, for a measly “Jackson” you can’t really complain either :whistling:

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
And while some may think the 1st call was questionable, why was it questionable? if you say there was "nothing" there then I'm guessing you're not really looking.

The thing is, the entire nation was looking, and everyone outside of some Packers fans, the refs and the NFL PR folks are saying that there was indeed nothing there.

Look, I'm not saying the Packers cheated. I'm not trying to take away from the fact that they took advantage of their opportunities. When they had the ball when it mattered, they did something with it. That being said, the entire nation watched the refs hand GB those additional opportunities on obviously bad (non)calls.

To be even clearer, kudos to GB for capitalizing on their chances. At bare minimum, there were 2 times that possession was given to GB via bad officiating (1st call on Flowers should have been a 4th down punt, non-DPI call on Redmond would have put Detroit in FG range). That is part of what drives me mad about the "FGs vs TDs" argument. The average NFL game is usually pretty close in score. The Lions had a lead, but had possessions (scoring attempts and time on the clock) taken away on bad officiating.

I'm not stating unequivocally that Detroit would have won had those calls been made properly, but the needle certainly remains tipped on their side.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, the entire nation was looking, and everyone outside of some Packers fans, the refs and the NFL PR folks are saying that there was indeed nothing there.

Look, I'm not saying the Packers cheated. I'm not trying to take away from the fact that they took advantage of their opportunities. When they had the ball when it mattered, they did something with it. That being said, the entire nation watched the refs hand GB those additional opportunities on obviously bad (non)calls.

To be even clearer, kudos to GB for capitalizing on their chances. At bare minimum, there were 2 times that possession was given to GB via bad officiating (1st call on Flowers should have been a 4th down punt, non-DPI call on Redmond would have put Detroit in FG range). That is part of what drives me mad about the "FGs vs TDs" argument. The average NFL game is usually pretty close in score. The Lions had a lead, but had possessions (scoring attempts and time on the clock) taken away on bad officiating.

I'm not stating unequivocally that Detroit would have won had those calls been made properly, but the needle certainly remains tipped on their side.
I’m not going to address the Flowers calls.... they’ve been beaten to death. I’m just going to say after watching this season so far... even discussing defensive pass interference is a waste of time. The Packers were screwed badly by a far more egregious call than the one you are referring to in the Eagles game that had an equal chance of changing the outcome of that game. From what i’ve been seeing pass interference is a non issue to refs at present. I’m not saying like it... I’m just saying it is what it is.

Reaction score
This is just from games outside of GB I’ve personally watched... there’s really not a game I’ve seen without at least one bad call.
But what’s peculiar to me is this game wasn’t even decided by the 1 arguably, poor call (The league reviewed all the calls and only 1 seemed even remotely questionable or outside the norm).

The truth is the Lions were the beneficiary of not 1..not 2... but 3 Turnovers!! They started fast because of it and they were celebrating after qtr 1! The expectations ran very high for Detroit after handily beating DeShone Kizer and a bunch of backups in a last regular season game blowout in GB.

Then reality set in. GB stopped fumbling the ball and without that? GB outplayed the Lions in every conceivable stat. Lions fans are disappointed.. not in an unfair D infraction (this happens in every other game played in the NFL), but rather they have no excuse for largely underestimating their opponent. GB isn’t near the same team they were last year and the Lions are now in last place. The Lions last place standing isn’t the Packers fault. If the team responds like the fans have over 1 misc call? Expect to see more disappointments. Luckily for Detroit, their HC isn’t blaming the refs like the fans are.

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that fans are *****ing about the quality of the officiating this year? My god, when did that start? What a bad season it must be...

Yeah, dripping with sarcasm, but, fans of teams that lost have cried like babies for time immemorial. Probably started with fans of Goliath pissing and moaning that David used an unacceptable sling.

Christ, I remember *****ing about the refs playing grade school basketball and yes, that pre-dates social media. Back then, we had to be crybabies person-to-person. Now all you need is an internet connection.

Point is, the same people crying conspiracy have been doing so for at least the last 5-7 years and will continue the streak next weekend. Only the colors of the injured will have changed.

Members online

Latest posts