Week 6: Dangerous Dallas game upcoming

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Lacy can't play on Sunday vs. the Cowboys the Packers have to absolutely add another running back to the roster for the game.

Could be another reason why they haven't been so quick to activate Pennel or Goodson, in case they need to activate Jackson. But with the Dallas running attack, I think you were correct in another post, I would be shocked if Pennel isn't on the field Sunday.

D

Deleted member 6794

Could be another reason why they haven't been so quick to activate Pennel or Goodson, in case they need to activate Jackson. But with the Dallas running attack, I think you were correct in another post, I would be shocked if Pennel isn't on the field Sunday.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Packers not having activated Pennel or Goodson by now as the team is in no hurry to do so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't put too much stock into the Packers not having activated Pennel or Goodson by now as the team is in no hurry to do so.

No doubt Pennel will be activated and on the 53 on or before the deadline, but I don't have that same feeling with Goodson. Guessing Goodson isn't PS eligible, so the decision to keep him will be what he can bring to Special Teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt Pennel will be activated and on the 53 on or before the deadline, but I don't have that same feeling with Goodson. Guessing Goodson isn't PS eligible, so the decision to keep him will be what he can bring to Special Teams.

Goodson is still practice squad eligible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Goodson is still practice squad eligible.

LOL...was just trying to figure that out and thought "Captain will know". Someone needs to devise a program that you can just type a guys name in and it spits out whether he is eligible or not or carry the Captain around. I'm not even going to pretend that I fully understand all the rules of eligibility.

Well at least if he doesn't fit in their current plans, he may be able to slide to the PS. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL...was just trying to figure that out and thought "Captain will know". Someone needs to devise a program that you can just type a guys name in and it spits out whether he is eligible or not or carry the Captain around. I'm not even going to pretend that I fully understand all the rules of eligibility.

The NFL changed the rules in 2014 allowing two players with two accrued seasons (six games or more on the active roster) to be put on a team's practice squad. The league increased that number of players to four for this year.

Charles gerbschmidt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think The Packers will have as much trouble with the Cowboys as people think. If we contain the run we should be good. Dez is hurt, still not sold on the rookie Prescott. NFC is fairly weak in general except the Vikings, and its their defense that makes them good, offense is average. Rodgers typically starts slow but comes on strong in the end so all should be good.

D

Deleted member 6794

The situation at running back has become even more precarious as James Starks wasn't able to practice today as well.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The situation at running back has become even more precarious as James Starks wasn't able to practice today as well.
A back they should bring in is sitting on San Diego Practice Squad former Boston College RB Andre Williams! Big back that brings the boom! He ran the ball well in New York, he's not Lacy but I think he'd work in our offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

A back they should bring in is sitting on San Diego Practice Squad former Boston College RB Andre Williams! Big back that brings the boom! He ran the ball well in New York, he's not Lacy but I think he'd work in our offense.

Williams has only averaged 3.2 yards per carry during his career, I don't think he provides a decent option.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jackson is really the only non-53 that the Packers could realistically expect to play RB on Sunday if needed.

Sky King

Reaction score
It's the usual formula: Score TDs early and often to make the opposition one-dimensional as quickly as possible. Take away their hope of winning via a balanced attack, especially if they are primarily a running team.

Of course, that door swings both ways. Theoretically, it should be easier to stymie a team's running game when it does not have even one healthy RB on its 53. Then add a QB with a mysterious 16 game case of the yips who's throwing to a below average set of WRs and it could make for an interesting contest.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:

Chris Banjo (hamstring), Jared Cook (ankle), Sam Shields (concussion) and James Starks (knee) didn't practice today. Randall Cobb (neck), Eddie Lacy (ankle) and Damarious Randall (groin) were limited participants.

D

Deleted member 6794

Heavy dose of Ripper in the game plan I see. Trevor Davis to be the new 3rd down back?

Davis (6-1, 188) isn't built to line up in the backfield. I would prefer the Packers to add another running back to the active roster for Sunday's game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any RB they add isn't going to be worth much with a grand total of a day of practice before the game. Does anyone really think they're going to trust a guy with one practice to protect Rodgers from a blitz on third down? Look for Cobb and Montgomery to get carries behind Lacy if Starks can't go. While they can't pass block, chances are that the defense will pull linebackers off the field if receivers are lining up at RB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Any RB they add isn't going to be worth much with a grand total of a day of practice before the game. Does anyone really think they're going to trust a guy with one practice to protect Rodgers from a blitz on third down? Look for Cobb and Montgomery to get carries behind Lacy if Starks can't go. While they can't pass block, chances are that the defense will pull linebackers off the field if receivers are lining up at RB.

Well, Don Jackson is another possibility as he has spent several months within the Packers organization and is currently on the team's practice squad.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Don Jackson is another possibility as he has spent several months within the Packers organization and is currently on the team's practice squad.

I also don't think anyone that the team didn't think was better than Starks is a guy that anyone should believe is any good. Starks has been awful this year. If a guy couldn't play better than Starks then that guy shouldn't be a consideration.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also don't think anyone that the team didn't think was better than Starks is a guy that anyone should believe is any good. Starks has been awful this year. If a guy couldn't play better than Starks then that guy shouldn't be a consideration.

It was pretty obvious that the Packers would hold on to Starks for the rest of the season once he made the opening week roster and there his 2016 salary got fully guaranteed. With Lacy being healthy there was no reason to promote Jackson from the practice squad. We'll have to wait and see how the team approaches the situation for this week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just because Don Jackson is on the PS, doesn't mean he can't possibly out perform Starks. How many NFL running backs have started on a PS and become productive in the NFL? Quite a few I imagine. PS players aren't sitting at home, waiting for their phones to ring, they are at practice everyday, improving their skills and knowledge of the playbook. As Captain said, at the beginning of the Season the Packers were comfortable with Lacy and Starks, given their past performances. But had either one been injured and put on IR, next man up and that probably would be Jackson. So I don't know how that situation changes if either one or both of them are dinged up enough that they can't play or one of them is simply not playing up to the standards required of the position. Suiting up one healthy RB for a game could prove to be a bad decision IMO.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know if he is healthy, in shape or on another team but I really liked Neal.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-dak-prescott-has-been-a-top-10-qb-this-season-heres-how/

Good read on why Prescott has been successful so far this year (TLDR: he's playing conservatively and taking what the defense gives him, especially thriving on midrange throws). Our defense faces a tough challenge beyond just slowing Elliott down. It's clear from his splits against pressure that we have to get to him on clear passing downs.

I haven't watched Prescott that much, but when I have he reminded me more of Russell Wilson then Tom Brady (article). Smart game manager, makes good decisions and throws, able to rely on a strong running game while also being able to take off and run when he needs to.

D

Deleted member 6794

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-dak-prescott-has-been-a-top-10-qb-this-season-heres-how/

Good read on why Prescott has been successful so far this year (TLDR: he's playing conservatively and taking what the defense gives him, especially thriving on midrange throws). Our defense faces a tough challenge beyond just slowing Elliott down. It's clear from his splits against pressure that we have to get to him on clear passing downs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting to replace Rodgers by any means but sometimes I would appreciate being way more patient working underneath routes when defenses are concentrating on taking away the big play.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts