Week 5: LeRoy Butler analyzes Bears-Packers game

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The day after each game this season, former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler teams up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our "5 Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature.

He'll answer five of our questions, and one from a reader. Following is the Q&A after Sunday's 27-20 loss to the Chicago Bears.

Q: Why didn't the Packers try or why couldn't they throw the ball when Chicago went to Cover-2 (two-deep safety coverage) exclusively in the second half? They mostly ran the ball while they were ahead.

A: There are ways of beating Cover-2. I wish the Packers would have gone to more four wides or five wides or motion. Motion kills Cover-2. You can put a guy in motion and they have to slide the defense. There are weaknesses in that defense. I would have liked to see the Packers be more aggressive. If you know they're in Cover-2, you have to use more shifts and more motion instead of the match-ups you would want. The weakness in Cover-2 is down the middle. So I would put Donald Driver or (Greg) Jennings at slot receiver and have him try to outrun Brian Urlacher all day down the middle. That's the match-up you want. But I would get that out of motion and shifts.

The book says if they put seven in the box, you run it and if they put eight in you throw it. But sometimes you have to go with what got you there, what got you those four wins, throwing the ball in key situations. If you know they're in Cover-2, put your athletes in position to make plays. I would have loved to see the Packers attack the perimeter of the Cover-2 defense, which is down the middle.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the post...excellent insight from Leroy, someone who probably knows a thing or two about coverage schemes. I was glad that he gave an honest answer rather than some P.C. bs...very informative, and also 100% correct!

Reaction score
Are we forgetting something... when exactly did we have 4 WRs in the third Q?

Donald Driver was out there, as was Ruvell. Given James Jones' fumbling problems, it's not wrong to suggest Jones himself/MM/Brett were down on him to the point that he became a non-factor.

That effectively left us with 2 WRs that Brett felt comfortable with.

Kinda hard to go 4 and 5 wide when we don't exactly have 4-5 WRs healthy in the third.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
very true about not having 5 wrs, aadp, however, I think it was still obvious that the pack did not incoroporate the 3 wrs that they did have available. In the 2nd half, I wasn't paying attention to the formations, but I do know that they did not pass to a wr 'til the 2nd to last drive of the game.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Everything Leroy says is right on the money. He needs to be on the coaching staff.

As do I.....LOL

I just said the same thing earlier when me and Warhawk were going back and forth

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he should be m&m's offensive adviser. why isnt he?

I heard on the radio that he wasn't exactly that hard of a worker and since this organization seems to be more "blue collar" it wouldn't be an ideal fit.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts