Week 5: Giants at Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While it eventually will be nice to have Shields back, I really think his football career may be near the end. Way too many concussions and that last one was proof it won't take much for his next one. That has to be on both Sam's and the Packers mind when he does finally take the field.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Dline has been legit all season, with our front seven ranking #1 against the run. It's our secondary that gives up big plays. I think the real key will be our success in converting 3rd downs offensively (ranked 3rd) against their defense (ranked 28th) and the turnover game. Rodgers is turning it over more than usual, but still not as bad as Eli and the rest of the Giants.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be SHOCKED if Shields plays. Time for our young guys to step up. It'd be nice for Burnett to have a big game as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have to send in 5 routinely and early and show blitz often even when we're not and dropping into coverage. Bump and run with their receivers to slow routes and timing and this has potential to be a big point spread win for us. We have to go +1 on the turnover ratio tho.
However, If we rush 3 and play zone it could be a last minute upset, Eli lives for upsets at Lambeau.
GB by 8

With the Giants elite receiving corps I hope the Packers are able to create pressure on Manning rushing only four.

It seems a lot of Packers fans complaining about Capers rushing only three don't realize how seldomly the defense does that.

While it eventually will be nice to have Shields back, I really think his football career may be near the end. Way too many concussions and that last one was proof it won't take much for his next one. That has to be on both Sam's and the Packers mind when he does finally take the field.

I don't think the Packers or Shields are leaning in that direction as the team would have put him on injured reserve otherwise.

Pennel is elgible to return this week right? The defense is stout. But with Pennel in the mix our Dline is legit this year.

Pennel is eligible to return in week 6 vs. the Cowboys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think the Packers or Shields are leaning in that direction as the team would have put him on injured reserve otherwise.

I agree with you about the IR, he should be able to play sooner then the IR designation would have allowed. But thoughts of Sam's future as a player in the NFL has had to have crossed the Packers organizations minds. If it hasn't, then they are wearing some really big blinders and Green and Gold tinted glasses. Both Sam and the Packers may be viewing this optimistically and willing to roll the dice that he won't concuss again, but I bet there are some doctors out there holding their collective breaths.

I know after AR had his concussion there was a lot said about his new helmet and how it would help prevent another one, I assume they have Sam wearing the most protective head gear known to man, anyone else read anything about that? If there is such a helmet, why isn't every player wearing one?

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you about the IR, he should be able to play sooner then the IR designation would have allowed. But thoughts of Sam's future as a player in the NFL has had to have crossed the Packers organizations minds. If it hasn't, then they are wearing some really big blinders and Green and Gold tinted glasses. Both Sam and the Packers may be viewing this optimistically and willing to roll the dice that he won't concuss again, but I bet there are some doctors out there holding their collective breaths.

I know after AR had his concussion there was a lot said about his new helmet and how it would help prevent another one, I assume they have Sam wearing the most protective head gear known to man, anyone else read anything about that? If there is such a helmet, why isn't every player wearing one?

I'm quite sure the Packers are concerned about Shields numerous concussions and because of it should acquire another possible #1 cornerback next offseason.

I don't know and have a hard time understanding about the reasons for players not wearing the most protective helmets. I believe that even the best helmet is no guarantee of avoiding concussions.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a game the Packers shouldn't just win but should control. If they don't it tells they are more middle of the pack then contenders. The Giants are 2-2 but if you look more closely their two wins aren't impressive at all - saints and cowboys in dak's first start. Losses to the redskins and they got handled by the vikings. They are the definition of an average team and the Packers get them at home on short rest while the Packers should be rested.

The Giants passing game could cause issues so that will be the one area of concern. On the other side the Giants pass rush is brutal. Just 4 sacks in 4 games. Rodgers should have a lot of time to find open guys. They had been decent against the run but Minnesota's below average running game found room.

The Packers could very well lose bc they have not had an impressive game yet either. But if they are a contender and moving in the right direction it shouldn't be that close

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just feels like this is the game we finally exorcise those 2015 problems and get the season on track to where it's supposed to be. We go 3-1 and things are looking up and up. 2-2, well it can still be done but really don't want us to fall 2 games behind Minny.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just feels like this is the game we finally exorcise those 2015 problems and get the season on track to where it's supposed to be. We go 3-1 and things are looking up and up. 2-2, well it can still be done but really don't want us to fall 2 games behind Minny.
Amen

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's still plenty of talent on this Giants team. Hoping they don't get their act together Sunday night.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There's still plenty of talent on this Giants team. Hoping they don't get their act together Sunday night.
You and me both.

Would be great to have Shields for this one, but I would much rather err on the side of caution. We'll need him even more down the stretch and into the postseason.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Shields I assume Randall covers OBJ. But not sure how they decide to cover Cruz and rookie Sheppard. My guess would be Rollins covering Cruz. But then that leaves Sheppard to be covered and we have no1 to matchup with him speed wise.

H

HardRightEdge

He's just the most recent in the long and storied history of head case wide receivers.

He is unhappy that he's not had a TD reception this season and that Eli is spreading the ball around. Can he stay this side of a meltdown? I wouldn't bet on it.

If the Josh Norman game taught us anything, it's play him tight and physical and he'll get frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Without Shields I assume Randall covers OBJ. But not sure how they decide to cover Cruz and rookie Sheppard. My guess would be Rollins covering Cruz. But then that leaves Sheppard to be covered and we have no1 to matchup with him speed wise.
I expect to have a zone defense. Capers isn't going to want to get beat deep.

H

HardRightEdge

Without Shields I assume Randall covers OBJ.
Whether zone or man, so far the Packers are playing fixed corners as they did last season: Randall on the defense's left side, Shields on the right and the same with Gunter.

The opponent chooses the match ups.

Gunter is all press in man coverage and he does a pretty good job of it if the Giants go that route. Maybe Gunter can draw one of those unsportsmanlike's from Beckham, causing another tantrum and a benching. ;) The Giants are clearly losing patience with the guy.

I would not look past the Cruz/Hyde-at-nickel match up if Burnett is back in the lineup. Cruz smoked him pretty badly in an earlier meeting. Whether Cruz has maintained his 4.3 speed would be a factor; I've not seen him play this season.

H

HardRightEdge

I expect to have a zone defense. Capers isn't going to want to get beat deep.
That's the formula when holding a lead or when giving up 18 yards on 3rd. and 15. :mad: Otherwise, I wouldn't bet on it. Besides the fact that Capers doesn't play one or the other exclusively over the course of a game, in this game I would expect Capers to bring the heat with some regularity and cover up with man. Manning is mistake prone and not very mobile.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see RR having a big day finding softspots in the middle of the field going deep!! My prediction 85yds and TD. Also Lacy goes over 100yds with a score. The Pack pulls this one out 28-21.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hawkins is plenty fast enough to cover Shepard.

I would not look past the Cruz/Hyde-at-nickel match up if Burnett is back in the lineup. Cruz smoked him pretty badly in an earlier meeting. Whether Cruz has maintained his 4.3 speed would be a factor; I've not seen him play this season.

Cruz has lined up mostly on the outside all season, therefore Hyde most likely won't cover him on Sunday. Shepard is playing in the slot for the Giants.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:

Jared Cook and Sam Shields didn't practice on Wednesday while Letroy Guion, Clay Matthews and Damarious Randall were limited participants.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Seems like a lot if the discussion is about how our Defense will fair against the Giants offense and very little about our offense. The OP alluded to the fact that we shouldn't forget about Ben McAdoo. I think he was right. McAdoo was an offensive coach of the Packers for 8 years and the final 2 of those were as Rodgers position coach. That was 3 years ago, but McAdoo should still know quite a bit about Rodgers’ tendencies, which routes he favors to each receiver, how he progresses through his reads and just about everything else a quarterback does in an offense. How that will translate on the field Sunday night, nobody knows.

IMO, this is a critical game for the offense to build on what they did in the first half against Detroit. It also might be necessary to put up a lot of points Sunday night if the Giants offense can use their talented WR's to exploit our suspect secondary. I can only hope that McAdoo has forgotten how to rattle AR or Aaron's game has changed enough in the last 3 years that the Giants defense doesn't have all the answers on how to stop him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems like a lot if the discussion is about how our Defense will fair against the Giants offense and very little about our offense. The OP alluded to the fact that we shouldn't forget about Ben McAdoo. I think he was right. McAdoo was an offensive coach of the Packers for 8 years and the final 2 of those were as Rodgers position coach. That was 3 years ago, but McAdoo should still know quite a bit about Rodgers’ tendencies, which routes he favors to each receiver, how he progresses through his reads and just about everything else a quarterback does in an offense. How that will translate on the field Sunday night, nobody knows.

While it's most likely true McAdoo still has a decent knowledge of the Packers offense I don't think the Giants defense has enough talent to contain Green Bay's
passing game.

Latest posts