Week 5: Giants at Packers.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Sunday's meeting between the Packers and Giants at Lambeau Field will be the 60th all-time between these clubs in a rivalry dating back to 1928.

It's always been sort of a "David vs Goliath" affair as the team from the largest city in America meets the team from the smallest town in the National Football League. But who is the "David" and the "Goliath" hasn't always been related to the size of the burg.

The Packers lead the all-time in this one 27-23-2. They have met an additional 7 times historically in championship and playoff games with the Pack up 4-3 in those.

But the G-Men have had the Pack's number of late. They've won the last 3 games, starting with the stunning upset in the 2011 divisional playoff and 4 of the last 6; including the OT NFC Championship Game victory at Lambeau in 2007. In their last two games the Giants have dominated the Packers by a 65-13 margin.

The Packers should be favored this time around. Coming off their bye week, holding home field. While the G'ints have a short week after a rough loss Monday night in Minnesota and have to get back on the road again right away.

But New York's new head coach Ben McAdoo has familiarity with the Packers from his years on the Green Bay staff, which could help speed their prep.

The Packers are going to need their offense showing up with their A game and for the defense to gets its leaky pass defense improved to win this one.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defensive backs need to be very physical with the Giants receivers, if they consistently play off and give them space I think the Packers are in for a long day.
I'm not worried about the Giants running game.
I am worried about the Packers offense, I still have a hangover from last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm still worried about the Packers offense facing off against top defenses as well but expect them to perform on a high level against a below average Giants unit.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still worried about the Packers offense facing off against top defenses as well but expect them to perform on a high level against a below average Giants unit.
Hopefully they can score enough to counteract whichever receiver the defense allows to have a career day with ridiculous stats.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hopefully they can score enough to counteract whichever receiver the defense allows to have a career day with ridiculous stats.

I'm optimistic that the secondary will play better this week compared to the start of the season.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm optimistic that the secondary will play better this week compared to the start of the season.
Just out curiosity is that just pure hope or are there some sort of facts that lead you to believe that? Because nothing the pass defense has done so far leads me to believe that and we are about to face the most talented receivers we have seen so far this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't watch a lot of Non-Packer games but last nights match-up of Vikings and Giants intrigued me so I watched. I walked away from that game thinking a few things.

Vikings are legit. Again, turnovers helped them, but that defense is really good. The way they shut down the Giants passing game and were able to totally rattle OBJ was impressive. The Vikings offense isn't flashy, but they don't turn the ball over and seem to pick up yards when they need to. Bradford has impressed me in the 2 games I have watched him play.

Giants: As long as you shut down their passing game, you can win. Oh Oh.....can we shut down Manning? Someone needs to get into OBJ's ear early and frustrate him. I don't want to see him catch a few and roll. While the Vikings defense made the Giants offense look pedestrian, we don't have as talented of a defense as Minn. at this point in the season anyway. Giants defense wasn't impressive at all. Seemed like a lot of holes to run through and coverage break downs in their secondary. If the Packers play the same team as I saw last night, could be a high scoring close game. However, if the Packers secondary can find themselves, we could blow the Giants out. Last night the entire Giants team had the look of being frustrated and out of sync, while the Vikings should get most of the credit for that, I hope the Packers see a similar team this Sunday.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our secondary needs to step up for this one. Try to shutdown OBJ at all costs and keep an eye on that rookie, and we will win this game. The Giants defense isn't impressive and their secondary is banged up as well. I'd like to see more of the 1st half offense from the Detroit game and for Lacy to keep grinding.

Also, I'm shipping up from CT to Green Bay for the game. Not only is this my first Lambeau visit, but this will actually be my first football game ever. I'm extremely excited and think we're gonna see a nice win.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are the only team that hasn't lost to the Vikings by more than 1 score so far this season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
That doesn't make me feel better about the loss though.
Only reason I bring it up is because we clearly didn't play our best and even with all of the issues we had, we only lost by 3 points. I don't blame you for feeling that way, but it does give me a slight sense of optimism going forward. I think it says more about our team than some are willing to acknowledge.

I am hoping that they come across a few teams that can slow them down. Right now I'm not seeing it though.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defensive backs need to be very physical with the Giants receivers, if they consistently play off and give them space I think the Packers are in for a long day.
I'm not worried about the Giants running game.
Paul Perkins is the type of back that breaks tackles and finds daylight. We have been superb against the run thus far. Now lets just keep it up

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big game, but I think we take it. When the Giants started off 2-0, I started getting a bit nervous, but after seeing them drop that game at home to Washington and then get totally limited last night, even if it was against Minny, they look like they aren't nearly as potent as they appeared to be.

They have had our number in the last few games, but it was 3 years ago that we played them last and a lot has changed in that time. Not to mention that last game was the year Rodgers was out for half the season, but Lacy did pretty well in that game.

I think that in and of itself is one thing to consider. In 2011 and 2012, our team heavily relied on an aerial attack without much of a run game to lean on, and we always assumed it would be playing at a high level. But if it didn't, we were in trouble. Now we've got the run game to throw at them, and the way Lacy has looked so far this year, I'd be scared if I was NY. Defense may be an issue, but if we can sack Eli and get heat on him enough, that O of theirs will have trouble getting going.

Think the Pack wins 27-14

Reaction score
As far as the games so far in MN. US Bank is a noisy stadium and a tie breaker goes to them. We lost by 3 fair n square.. but we were two 1st downs away from an OT game when AR threw that INT.
In comparison, the Giants didn't hang and we're lucky time ran out or MN would've scored another 3-7 but we're merciful and ran the clock. I couldn't count on my hands the number of times Eli either threw it into the sideline area or at his feet to avoid contact.
QB pressure and man to man coverage on the top trio was the key to that win. I loved how MN also showed multiple blitz packages in the A Gaps like Gruden pointed out. Eli was constantly changing protections and MN played a shell game as to who was rushing.
The Giants D played average so expect AR to put up 28+
We have to send in 5 routinely and early and show blitz often even when we're not and dropping into coverage. Bump and run with their receivers to slow routes and timing and this has potential to be a big point spread win for us. We have to go +1 on the turnover ratio tho.
However, If we rush 3 and play zone it could be a last minute upset, Eli lives for upsets at Lambeau.
GB by 8

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I will optimistically say 38-24 Pack. Though I don't want them to put up 24 points, I think that Eli and company will be able to move the ball through the air fairly well.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of memorable games against the Giants in recent years. In 2010 beating them was the start of our run to the Super Bowl. I was at the 2011 game where Crosby kicked the game winner at the end, and the Tolzien game in 2013. Let's hope it's more like the first!

Getting pressure on Eli is vital in this game, that WR group against our secondary is worrying.

They haven't forced a turnover all season, and they're barely pressuring the QB, so I expect a big night for the offense.

Members online

Latest posts