Week 2 - Monday Night - Lions @ Packers (Pre Game and Game Thread)

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Lambeau Field. Against a team that actually looked pretty good in the second half last week. Honestly, a loss will not kill me here if it is followed by *huge improvement from week 1. I think the problem comes from a loss with no improvement from last week. The Packers were the worst team in football in week 1. If the same is said about week 2, prepare for an early draft pick. If there is improvement, starting 0-2 is not the worst thing in the world at all. They could still end the season 13-4. The extra game this year somewhat makes that game a wash, especially because the entire NFC North tanked.

Some matchups to watch/interest me:
- Swift/Williams against the DL. The front 7 did not exist in Week 1. If the Lions control the LOS on offense, they will have no problem putting up 30+ on us.
- TJ Hockenson vs. Adrian Amos. I actually think this matchup favors the Packers. Amos has been aggressive at the LOS and up the middle the past few years. The problem is TJ Hockenson vs. Sullivan. Sullivan will get destroyed by Hock. Will Joe Barry correct it? I would even say trying Kevin King in the slot may be a good move. He has the size to matchup well here and we know he does not have the speed to play on the outside. Doesn't this seem like an obvious move?
- Aaron Rodgers vs. himself. There is absolutely no way, Rodgers can watch the film on this game and have anywhere to point fingers outside of himself. He looked like a backup rookie QB out there. Can he bounce back from the worst game of his career?
- Aaron Rodgers vs. Lockeroom. If he showed me anything over the offseason, it is that he is a bit of a head case, no? Imagine being Aaron Rodgers teammate throughout that entire saga. Did that have an effect on the locker room? How could it not. Your leader refuses to show because he does not think you guys are good enough and he wants other dudes here. I would not want to catch balls, protect or pound the rock for a dude like that. After week 1, I have a hard time believing the offense is a cohesive unit. The defense is in a new system, so it will take time to work out the kinks. The offense should have had a seamless transition. The only changes were a rookie center, who played pretty damn good and a few other pieces on the line that played a decent game. So what really changed? Aaron Rodgers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about the people....man....

I agree with Rodgers and will go there in person on Monday to inspect the merchandise. I went to the last Lions MNF at Lambeau and it took some phantom calls to help us beat them. We shouldn't need that again. Jared Goeff doesn't scare me.

You are spot on about how we react to / improve from Week 1. I believe that I heard Rodgers say that maybe they were believing the hype too much. This all seems very Rocky II to me. Will this team develop the eye of the tiger, the hunger to win, or are they happy reading the headlines that they should win?

Reaction score

Can the Packers bounce back against the Lions on MNF?​

Yes they can but it wouldn't help with all the drama from Rodgers.
The sooner they get his @ss out of town, the sooner we can move on with Love.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'll say one thing for Matt Lafluer coached teams, they haven't lost often but when they do, they really go down in inglorious fashion.

With a minimum of verbiage I expect to see a big step up to normal and a win. While not denying the unpleasant odor of Sunday, the Pack won't be facing Sean Payton on Monday. Once the Pack hit 3-1, we'll only have the defense to kick around.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Starting this thread now so there can be some pre-game discussion.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I really think the last game was a fluke, and not going to be who the Packers really are. They were just unprepared and the blowout may have kicked them into gear. Good that they are playing a sad Lions team to get back on track.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must win game already. If we don't beat this sh**ty Detroit team at home, forget the damn Superbowl, and start the rebuild full on.

Anyway, how we do it

Offense feature AJ Dillon and let him pound that ball. And use play action when not and get Mercedes Lewis involved in the passing game more.

We need to make sure the offense builds a lead and controls the clock late into the game and keeps scoring because that dumb*** Joe Barry is incapable of calling non soft defensive plays and generating any turnovers. Don't trust this boob to hold any leads the offense builds.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I never go with "must win" this early in the season, but I would definitely put this as close to a must win as there is. Monday night football and Lions at home, you have to take care of business. I personally think the Packers are going to go full tour de force and take their frustrations out on them for 60 minutes, but regardless, just get the win.

0-2 would send some completely over the edge.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting this thread now so there can be some pre-game discussion.
Teams are known to lay duds in openers. But what we saw was not just a breakdown. It was a total collapse. And it is foreboding of something not so good ahead. 10 years ago we opened on MNF and beat the Saints in a shootout and our defense was horrible all night except for one turnover and a Clay Matthews stop on the final play. We play the Brees less Saints for the first time since 2005 and we may have just forfeited this one.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should win this game by 2+ TDs, Rodgers will probably throw for at least 3TDs. However, this game will say a lot about the Packers' pass rush because Goff is awful when he's pressured. Unfortunately, the only receiving weapons the Lions have are a TE and two running backs which tend to be problematic for the Packers.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lambeau Field. Against a team that actually looked pretty good in the second half last week. Honestly, a loss will not kill me here if it is followed by *huge improvement from week 1. I think the problem comes from a loss with no improvement from last week. The Packers were the worst team in football in week 1. If the same is said about week 2, prepare for an early draft pick. If there is improvement, starting 0-2 is not the worst thing in the world at all. They could still end the season 13-4. The extra game this year somewhat makes that game a wash, especially because the entire NFC North tanked.

Some matchups to watch/interest me:
- Swift/Williams against the DL. The front 7 did not exist in Week 1. If the Lions control the LOS on offense, they will have no problem putting up 30+ on us.
- TJ Hockenson vs. Adrian Amos. I actually think this matchup favors the Packers. Amos has been aggressive at the LOS and up the middle the past few years. The problem is TJ Hockenson vs. Sullivan. Sullivan will get destroyed by Hock. Will Joe Barry correct it? I would even say trying Kevin King in the slot may be a good move. He has the size to matchup well here and we know he does not have the speed to play on the outside. Doesn't this seem like an obvious move?
- Aaron Rodgers vs. himself. There is absolutely no way, Rodgers can watch the film on this game and have anywhere to point fingers outside of himself. He looked like a backup rookie QB out there. Can he bounce back from the worst game of his career?
- Aaron Rodgers vs. Lockeroom. If he showed me anything over the offseason, it is that he is a bit of a head case, no? Imagine being Aaron Rodgers teammate throughout that entire saga. Did that have an effect on the locker room? How could it not. Your leader refuses to show because he does not think you guys are good enough and he wants other dudes here. I would not want to catch balls, protect or pound the rock for a dude like that. After week 1, I have a hard time believing the offense is a cohesive unit. The defense is in a new system, so it will take time to work out the kinks. The offense should have had a seamless transition. The only changes were a rookie center, who played pretty damn good and a few other pieces on the line that played a decent game. So what really changed? Aaron Rodgers.
I don’t really know what to expect this Season from the Packers. I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I have lost some respect for Rodgers. He did act like a spoiled diva after last season. Were some of his complaints about the GM and Packer organization justified? Yes they were. But as I have been saying for years. These guys are making millions of dollars to go out there every Sunday and give it their all! They are the ones who want to play football. They know what they are signing up for—- injuries, moves, difficult coaches and GM’s . Just play the game and stop the whining!! Professional football is a business and you are being paid to win; not whine and be a diva

Reaction score
I don’t really know what to expect this Season from the Packers. I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I have lost some respect for Rodgers. He did act like a spoiled diva after last season. Were some of his complaints about the GM and Packer organization justified? Yes they were. But as I have been saying for years. These guys are making millions of dollars to go out there every Sunday and give it their all! They are the ones who want to play football. They know what they are signing up for—- injuries, moves, difficult coaches and GM’s . Just play the game and stop the whining!! Professional football is a business and you are being paid to win; not whine and be a diva
I agree here but I have to add, this sport is changing to the point were the guys making the millions
feel they want more, especially the talented QB's that feel the grass is greener somewhere else.

Honestly, I wish guys like Favre, Rodgers and (yes even Tom Brady) would be more like Bart Star, and take pride in the team that help make their legacy and retire from that team.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should win this game by 2+ TDs, Rodgers will probably throw for at least 3TDs. However, this game will say a lot about the Packers' pass rush because Goff is awful when he's pressured. Unfortunately, the only receiving weapons the Lions have are a TE and two running backs which tend to be problematic for the Packers.
I believe after last week all the Should's are off the table. The Lions have lost 4 in a row to us including those two on the last kick. They did not quit last week and put a scare into Frisco. To say we should win by 2 or 3 TDs over the Lions is like saying it will be a close one against New Orleans. Let us hope home field helps us and we simply win the game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure it is respect although underneath some players may feel that. What it can be is a loss of confidence. Even when the Packers had that dismal team in 2005 thanks to Ted Thompson the players still believed they could win with Brett Favre on the field. And all through that year Brett still played just about every down and fought to give his team a chance when he had stiffs on the O Line, only one receiver, and Samkon Gado as his feature back.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree here but I have to add, this sport is changing to the point were the guys making the millions
feel they want more, especially the talented QB's that feel the grass is greener somewhere else.

Honestly, I wish guys like Favre, Rodgers and (yes even Tom Brady) would be more like Bart Star, and take pride in the team that help make their legacy and retire from that team.
I guess we all do. I wish I was. Bart is a unique individual. Came from a military family and a deeply religious one. Married his high school sweetheart. He was a humble, selfless man. Although Lombardi did not always live up to his big 3 which is faith, family, and profession Bart Starr epitomized just that. With all his football accomplishments what stunned me most about him had nothing to do with football. Just two years ago a rather old OTR driver for a major trucking firm stopped off where I was receiving flat beds. He had a Packer hat on so naturally I went into conversation with him. When the topic of Bart Starr arose he told me if it were not for Bart Starr he would have been dead or in prison decades ago. It was the home for Boys that Bart started while still a player that saved his life and turned him in the right direction.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe after last week all the Should's are off the table. The Lions have lost 4 in a row to us including those two on the last kick. They did not quit last week and put a scare into Frisco. To say we should win by 2 or 3 TDs over the Lions is like saying it will be a close one against New Orleans. Let us hope home field helps us and we simply win the game.
There are still some truths in the world. The truth is we should be able to handle the Lions fairly easily. Will we? Well... As they say "that is why we play the game." Good teams will have bad games and bad teams will have good games and while it is difficult to predict when those will happen it still remains that some teams are better than others and the better teams should win. Despite what happened last week I think the Packers are a better team than the Lions. A Three TD margin is tough for any victory (usually) and even 2 might be a stretch in most cases but against the Lions (remember, they still lost) certainly double digits and 14-17 points wouldn't surprise me

Last edited:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That game was hot garbage. The closest thing I can recall, this early in the season, in terms of a total disaster from the start, would be week two at Tampa Bay in 1992. 31-3, I believe was the score. Not gonna look it up, lol. But yeah.

Reaction score
GB came out stale with changes at DC and very little live game action to implement that strategy. Also Rodgers has a revamped OL after losing Wagner, Linsley and Bakhtiari to either injury or FA and shifting 4 of 5 OL. 5 weeks to prepare is not sufficient for an OL near completely shifted, resorted or replaced and we lost around a minimum 50% of normal preparation time needed in a best case scenario. Add to that zero live preseason action (or otherwise) and traveling halfway across the country into sweltering high 90’s heat it’s a recipe for disaster for a team not in its best conditioning.

Getting an extra day of practice and time to prepare and playing at home in an evening game with temps in the 70’s is a far cry from the week 1 setup. Each successive week should bring the OL continuity meter up a small notch.
- Don’t expect Rodgers to throw multiple INT (if any).
- Don’t expect a poor Referee call to create a free Redzone turnover and Roughing yardage and 1st down n goal gift.
-Don’t plan on GB getting their 3rd possession with less than 1:07 left before halftime.

Detroit will come out aggressive and posturing, expecting to repeat a week 1 plan (quite possibly giving us a scare) but without the real D personnel, they will slowly sink as the game develops into a Rodgers vs Goff tennis match.
Packers rebound 33-26

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The offense should have had a seamless transition. The only changes were a rookie center, who played pretty damn good and a few other pieces on the line that played a decent game. So what really changed? Aaron Rodgers.

The offensive line having four starters either lining up in different spots or being rookies is a huge issue. A lack of decent protection definitely factored into Rodgers having a terrible game.

Rodgers' motivation for complaining about the front office was about winning though as he felt the front office hasn't done enough to win another Super Bowl but has concentrated on keeping the team competitive down the road. I tend to agree with him that has been the case on several occasions.

Don't get me wrong, Starr was an amazing person but with no free agency in the NFL during his playing career there was no way he could have changed teams even if he wanted to.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That game was hot garbage. The closest thing I can recall, this early in the season, in terms of a total disaster from the start, would be week two at Tampa Bay in 1992. 31-3, I believe was the score. Not gonna look it up, lol. But yeah.
Correct. We lost an OT game to Minnesota in Week One at home. It appeared that Holmgren was looking at a year of disaster. But they got better. Favre replaced Majik. And a team with not too much on its roster eked out a decent season including putting up 40 against Ditka.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look objectively at what happened last week in the NFC North, you'll see 1) The Packers being obliterated by the Saints, the Bears being man-handled by the Rams, and the Vikings managing to lose to the hapless Bengals. Detroit, however, was at least competitive against what most think will be a very strong 49ers team, losing by one score (8 points).

Maybe the Motown Kittens won't be the pushover everyone imagines them to be.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes I agree with you. I am afraid that those days of pride and dedication to the team who made their careers possible are gone forever. It’s a shame

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To think that anybody today should treat football the way that it was back 60+ years ago is ludicrous. Players get paid a lot of money to put their physical well being on the line each week. Outside of agents pushing for guaranteed money, there is nothing keeping a team from dumping an injured player with a modest injury settlement. Pride is an inner motivation for some of us, but I will outright say that there are few if any teams that spark pride & dedication due to their actions. They may talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk in the modern NFL.

One can only imagine that in the eyes of long time veterans like Rodgers, players get disillusioned with "the business" end of football especially as they mature into their 30s and 40s. They've seen the ugly side of the game, and maybe that pride and dedication that they once possessed fades as the dollars go every which way. I don't begrudge modern players for not having the pride and dedication because it should be a two-way street.

Off my soap box. Go Packers. I expect another hard fought game against the Lions. They won't be pushovers and may win. I at least expect that our team will try harder.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said it yourself. Times have changed since the Bart Starr playing days. Football is a BIG business with ALL of the issues that go along with a big business. Yes players put themselves out there and risk permanent injuries but that is a CHOICE that they make. Do you honestly think they would do it for a few thousand dollars????!! Of course they see the dark side of the business and maybe even become disillusioned. Then they need to quit and find a different normal job. Don’t you think they love to be worshipped and have all the women chasing them???? Besides making more money than most of us can ever dream of making!! Poor babies!!!! Cry me a River! I expect a lot more out of ALL of them against Detroit!! They were worse than any peewee football team that I have ever watched in that first game!!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts