Week 1 thoughts...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
I think this is the point that is trying to be illustrated... only a handful of your everyday starters were draft picks of recent drafts.. don't see any immediate starters or large contributors from this years class either.. although I like the Johnson pick alot.

I will say this, the past two drafts look a heck of a lot better than the previous ones.

I don't wish to fault your efforts here, but there is an inherent tendency that newer draftees are still on the team compared to older draftees, because team management are still gauging whether the player is a good fit or not and to give him a chance to shine.

My bet is, come 2012, only 1, maybe 2 from the '08 class will remain.

It is not that as many aren't with the team as it is the fact that very few are having a significant impact on the current team between the white lines each given Sunday or Monday night..

We have a greater number of players starting or heavily contributing on a weekly basis verus the Vikes.. that was my point.. probably didn't spell it out enough though looking again at it.. add to that the amount of UDFA that are on the roster.. Tramon Williams will be this years and Danny Lansanah will be the gems.. Tramon from the past and Danny from the here an now.. albeit for Lansahah it will be on special teams and why Hodge won't be on the GB roster..

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds to me from your last comment that you agree the Vikes are not, in fact, building the team thru the draft which was my point.

Initially I think the confusing came in because you didn't mention the draft. You simply accused the Vikings of trying to "buy" a team like Washington.
The difference between the Packers and the Vikings is that the Vikings don't actually "build" teams but buys them by importing a significant number of new guys every year. Team chemistry this does not create or depth does it make.
I disagree, I think the Vikings are doing a good job building the team by bringing in young players that will be with the Vikes for a while. in 2006 and 2007 they did it primarily through the draft. In 2008 they had more free agency action. Whether through draft or through FA, the end goal is the same.

We won thirteen games last year and before I put the Vikes up there with us they will have to prove it.

Good thing nothing changed on your team from last year to this. I mean, it isn't like the person who plays in the position you referred to as "the most important" changed. Right? :roll: When I look at the NFC North objectively, I actually still rank the Pack in front... but the Vikings are a pretty damn close second - and have the best chance in the NFC North of taking the crown away from the Pack. If you can't see that...

A few years ago they brought in like six defensive guys and were going to win everything on the planet. It didn't happen then and so I am not about to say they belong up there with us now.
The two big names brought in happened to play on teams we faced last year (Chicago twice & KC once) and neither did much of anything against our guys (you can check it yourself) so why all of a sudden should they be in our face this year?

A few years ago we had Tice as a coach, and I completely disagreed with a lot of the approaches he took. You can't fault the current administration for something the past has done. As far as Allen not doing much of anything against you guys last year, maybe you should check that again.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29314&season=2007&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&week=REG9

He was on Fav-re all day, despite drawing a lot of doubles. He only had half a sack, but Fav-re also threw 2 INTs, both a result of pressure. And KC led that game 22-16 with three minutes left in the 4th, and Fav-re did his magic, throwing a 60 TD bomb to Jennings off from his back foot. Do you really think that Rodgers will be able to do that?

But go ahead and keep dismissing him, as well as the rest of the Vikings... Overconfidence just makes for bitter disappointment.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And KC led that game 22-16 with three minutes left in the 4th, and Fav-re did his magic, throwing a 60 TD bomb to Jennings off from his back foot. Do you really think that Rodgers will be able to do that?

Rodgers throws a better deep ball/fade route than Favre does. There's a couple of sources to back this up, though I'm a bit busy at the moment I'll get around to finding them sometime.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not underestimate the Vikings, nor can I not see the Packers objectively.

QB - Packers edge
RB - Vikings edge
WR - Packers edge
TE - Packers edge
OL - toss up. I think we're better at pass protection, you're better at run blocking

DL - You have slight edge (we all know Kampman is amazing, but he was getting doubled and the other side wasn't putting enough pressure)
LB - Us. The only reason Barnett is not a Pro Bowler is the NFC has some really, really good MLBs
CB - Us. I disagree with a few folks on this board and think Harris earned his Pro Bowl nod last year. Woodson is also quite good
S - A lot of fellow Packer fans like to diss Sharper, because he loves to run his mouth. They also don't give him credit for "mop up" INTs. I'll take INTs any day of the week and I don't care the context. Still, I'll take our Safeties over yours

Coaching - Us. MM is simply a better coach than Childress.

The thing is, you have one of the best playmakers in the NFL in AD. He can destroy a team single-handedly. If you stop the Vikings' rushing attack, you stop the Vikings' O because your passing game doesn't scare me at all. Will it improve this year? It should, but it will have to improve a lot to scare me.

Your D is quite good and can keep a game close, and if it does and AD has huge games, you can conceivably sweep us. You can beat any team in the league on any given Sunday, and will continually improve year by year. I simply think as of 06/12/2008 the Packers have a more complete team.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

QB - Packers edge
RB - Vikings edge
WR - Packers edge
TE - Packers edge
OL - toss up. I think we're better at pass protection, you're better at run blocking

DL - You have slight edge (we all know Kampman is amazing, but he was getting doubled and the other side wasn't putting enough pressure)
LB - Us. The only reason Barnett is not a Pro Bowler is the NFC has some really, really good MLBs
CB - Us. I disagree with a few folks on this board and think Harris earned his Pro Bowl nod last year. Woodson is also quite good
S - A lot of fellow Packer fans like to diss Sharper, because he loves to run his mouth. They also don't give him credit for "mop up" INTs. I'll take INTs any day of the week and I don't care the context. Still, I'll take our Safeties over yours

The thing is, you have one of the best playmakers in the NFL in AD. He can destroy a team single-handedly. If you stop the Vikings' rushing attack, you stop the Vikings' O because your passing game doesn't scare me at all. Will it improve this year? It should, but it will have to improve a lot to scare me.

Your D is quite good and can keep a game close, and if it does and AD has huge games, you can conceivably sweep us. You can beat any team in the league on any given Sunday, and will continually improve year by year. I simply think as of 06/12/2008 the Packers have a more complete team.

Very good post, and I agree with damn near all of it. Even the last sentance.

+1

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO what the Packers and TT has done the last few years is what all the other teams out there TALK about doing but never really have the GUTS to actually do and that's truly build a team thru the draft.

Hell, the majority of our own fans HATED TT at the start for how he went about this feeling like we were only "one or two good players" away from a great season again. The same dillusion many fans suffer from.

We now have the youngest team in the NFL for the second year in a row meaning we have the most potential upside improvement wise top to bottom. Also we are essentially shuffling very few new bodies into the system creating a unity and familiarity between whole units that is rare in todays game.

Maybe the most important thing about how TT has done this is that the depth of this team gives us the best chance to come out of the other end of sixteen games on top of the division. In MANY positions there is little drop off in the level of talent filling in for a starter.

THAT is what separates the men from the boys in the NFL and pulling names from FA and losing draft pics is not the way to build the kind of depth to win. The starting lineups for nearly every team will be quite different by week seven to ten.

More than any one or two draft classes or individual players TT has taken in these last few drafts it's the strength in the overall 53 that will make this team where you have to take your hat off to the guy. It's a world apart from where we stood when he got here in '05 I can tell you that.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

It's a lot easier being a Coach with a HOF QB then being one with a young inexperienced QB. Now that he no longer has a HOF QB playing for him we will see how good of a coach he really is.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:
Peterson burned us the first time we played, but it was thanks to halftime adjustments and Favre kicking *** that we won the game.

The 2nd time, Al Harris hurt AP. Nuff said.

What were the halftime adjustments? I was at the game and I'll tell you, it was because Childress gave AP the ball 3 times in the second half. Peterson absolutely anhiliated the Pack in the first half at the dome but you are right on one thing: Favre kicked ***.

If you were actually AT that game, as you say, then you must realize that the "Childress gave AP (sic) the ball 3 times in the second half" is an inaccurate representation of what actually happened.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...ayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2007&week=REG4

There's the game-book. Yes, you can look at the number of carries for Purple Jesus and spout "only 3 carries!". However, a detailed analysis of the game-book shows that the opportunities to give him the ball were limited, mainly due to some nice long time-consuming drives by Favre (particularly the opening drive of the 3rd quarter) and the game situations.

It also shows that the Vikings passed to him a couple of times in an attempt to put the ball into his hands.

=Z=

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score

QB - Packers edge

Based upon what? Aaron Rodgers' 2 quarters of actual game experience?

=Z=

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

QB - Packers edge

Based upon what? Aaron Rodgers' 2 quarters of actual game experience?

=Z=

Don't you know. Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFC north. I have been told that by any number of Packer fans. Never mind that he has never started a game. Never mind that he has never played a full NFL game. Never mind that the game he did play in he didn't win. He has had three years of running the practice squad during regular season, plus 3 years of playing during pre-season and three years sitting on the bench behind a future HOF QB. I equate it to Hillary saying she is qualified to be president because she was the first lady.

I give the Packers fans credit, they are a glass half full group.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you know. Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFC north. I have been told that by any number of Packer fans. Never mind that he has never started a game. Never mind that he has never played a full NFL game. Never mind that the game he did play in he didn't win. He has had three years of running the practice squad during regular season, plus 3 years of playing during pre-season and three years sitting on the bench behind a future HOF QB. I equate it to Hillary saying she is qualified to be president because she was the first lady.

I give the Packers fans credit, they are a glass half full group.

Heh. Even though I disagree with you about Rodgers, I'll give you credit. That there is funny.

Members online

Latest posts