Week 1 thoughts...

V

Vikeman

I couldn't figure out why week 1 against the Pack doesn't have the anticipation it usually has for me when we play. Then it came to me...Favre won't be there. Although the games are still there I think the absence of Favre has deflated the rivalry. Man I really am going to miss that guy. I know I speak for most Viking fans when I say this but Favre was the Packers. It's not just about beating Green Bay...it was always about beating Favre too. I think week 1 will still be a hell of a game though.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out why week 1 against the Pack doesn't have the anticipation it usually has for me when we play.

Maybe because it's 3 months away.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out why week 1 against the Pack doesn't have the anticipation it usually has for me when we play. Then it came to me...Favre won't be there. Although the games are still there I think the absence of Favre has deflated the rivalry. Man I really am going to miss that guy. I know I speak for most Viking fans when I say this but Favre was the Packers. It's not just about beating Green Bay...it was always about beating Favre too. I think week 1 will still be a hell of a game though.

I don't know. I'm pretty freakin' stoked myself.

I can't wait to beat the Vikings . . again!!

:lol: :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Vikeman said:
I couldn't figure out why week 1 against the Pack doesn't have the anticipation it usually has for me when we play.

Maybe because it's 3 months away.

Man that was pure comedy

I wasnt trying to be funny. Im actually more psyched for preseason games than week 1. Around preseason Ill start getting hyped for week 1.

Right now its all about rookies batting and position battles.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard that from other NFCN fans as well. It's not often you get a QB who was good enough to beat divisional foes a lot, but also capable of the boneheaded mistakes that lead to losses. I think NFCN fans loved the opportunity to maybe make him look bad, after all of the games he won.

Formo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard that from other NFCN fans as well. It's not often you get a QB who was good enough to beat divisional foes a lot, but also capable of the boneheaded mistakes that lead to losses. I think NFCN fans loved the opportunity to maybe make him look bad, after all of the games he won.

Awesome post. That pretty much sums it up for me, as a Vikings fan.

But as far as the OP goes.. I'm stoked. I mean, how can you NOT be?

We have new starters in this rivalry Aaron Rodgers vs. Jared Allen and Madieu Williams (man it's hard trying to spell his name fast.. =/ ).

Not to mention, the Vikings have a chance to spoil the Packer fans' celebration of #4's jersey number retirement.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackersFan said:

We have new starters in this rivalry Aaron Rodgers vs. Jared Allen and Madieu Williams (man it's hard trying to spell his name fast.. =/ ).

Not to mention, the Vikings have a chance to spoil the Packer fans' celebration of #4's jersey number retirement.

Its hard to get excited about playing a team we have wiped out in recent years and havent presented any challenge to us. In our eyes the Vikes are no more a challenge than the Lions. They havent done anything yet to make us take note.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was my favorite player ever, even more than James Lofton. I'm still looking forward to the '08 season, but it would have to be one heck of a season to compare to '07.

'Tis true that Favre was the face of the Green Bay Packers. It's going to be weird seeing us without Favre when the O comes onto the field.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Formo said:
MassPackersFan said:

Its hard to get excited about playing a team we have wiped out in recent years and havent presented any challenge to us. In our eyes the Vikes are no more a challenge than the Lions. They havent done anything yet to make us take note.

I disagree with this. I've taken note of what the Vikings are building. They've built their roster the exact opposite of what the Lions have done. They went out and found defensive and offensive lineman and signed them. Guys like Pat Williams and Steve Hutchinson. Then they drafted the best rookie RB I've seen in quite awhile in Adrian Peterson.

I think Minnesota is significantly better than Detroit and Chicago this year. The Bears have nothing on offense that is even worth noting right now and the Lions still have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball. Minnesota at least on paper looks to be the top challenger to the Packers and by a landslide too.

I'll go on record and say this....

Had they actually had a QB, Minnesota would be my pick to go to the Super Bowl from the NFC. However, QB is the most important position on the field and I think Tavaris Jackson is one of the worst starters in the NFL so for that reason I think they'll be held back again this year but that doesn't stop me from getting excited about the Monday Night Week 1 game at Lambeau Field.

- Adrian Peterson vs. Packers Defense
- Always fun to see Darren Sharper talk a lot only to give up a big play
- Favre's jersey retired
- Aaron Rodgers debut

That's a lot to get excited about in my opinion.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
Formo said:
MassPackersFan said:

I disagree with this. I've taken note of what the Vikings are building. They've built their roster the exact opposite of what the Lions have done. They went out and found defensive and offensive lineman and signed them. Guys like Pat Williams and Steve Hutchinson. Then they drafted the best rookie RB I've seen in quite awhile in Adrian Peterson.

I think Minnesota is significantly better than Detroit and Chicago this year. The Bears have nothing on offense that is even worth noting right now and the Lions still have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball. Minnesota at least on paper looks to be the top challenger to the Packers and by a landslide too.

Had they actually had a QB, Minnesota would be my pick to go to the Super Bowl from the NFC. However, QB is the most important position on the field and I think Tavaris Jackson is one of the worst starters in the NFL so for that reason I think they'll be held back again this year but that doesn't stop me from getting excited about the Monday Night Week 1 game at Lambeau Field.

- Favre's jersey retired
- Aaron Rodgers debut

Stop interjecting common sense and logic into the conversation. I like it better when Green Bay fans completely close their eyes to the team Minnesota is building. It makes it more fun after we win... :lol:

I actually agree with pretty much all of what you said about the Vikes. If anything holds us back it will be TJack. The coaching staff and team seems to be sold on him, so I have no choice but to be content with him... Here's hoping that he has more games like the ones against NYG and Denver, and less like the game against Detroit.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

- Favre's jersey retired
- Aaron Rodgers debut

I think that their O-line is one of the best in the biz when it comes to rushing, but mediocre at most when it comes to pass protection.

Watching the first of the teams' two meetings last season, their offensive line was atrocious in the 4th quarter. Our d-linemen, who should've been worn out from playing the run for the last three quarters, were getting to Holcomb on nearly every play. I was actually surprised. I mean, as soon as it was a passing situation, our linemen were just pinning their ears back and taking it to them. Granted, we were blitzing here and there, but guys who get as much props as the Vikings do for being "elite" offensive linemen should be able to at least slow down opponents' linemen one-on-one. JMHO..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I think that their O-line is one of the best in the biz when it comes to rushing, but mediocre at most when it comes to pass protection.

Heh. If only we can use their OL for our rushing attack and ours for pass defense.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

- Favre's jersey retired
- Aaron Rodgers debut

Watching the first of the teams' two meetings last season, their offensive line was atrocious in the 4th quarter. Our d-linemen, who should've been worn out from playing the run for the last three quarters, were getting to Holcomb on nearly every play. I was actually surprised. I mean, as soon as it was a passing situation, our linemen were just pinning their ears back and taking it to them. Granted, we were blitzing here and there, but guys who get as much props as the Vikings do for being "elite" offensive linemen should be able to at least slow down opponents' linemen one-on-one. JMHO..

They have trouble stopping quicker guys. Kampman is pretty quick on his feet for his size and that's one of the reasons why he gives them fits. KGB off the bench in the 4th vs. Bryant McKinne really gives the Packers an advantage. Johnny Jolley and Corey Williams were also really quick for big guys.

They're by no means the best offensive line in football but they're solid and a lot better than what Detroit and Chicago has to offer. My main point is they've built their team by spending big money on their lines which you obviously need to be successful in the NFL.

Chicago and Detroit haven't done that.

I obviously agree that Green Bay is better at pass blocking than Minnesota mostly because our tackle tandem is one of the best in the league and Daryn Colledge is actually an above average pass blocker.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the time, IMO, the Vikes play well againest the Packers. But what gives me more optimism is that they don't play that well againest the Bears and Lions among others. If Peterson is hot, they're really tough but he hasn't been that consistant, again IMO. They'll have a tough time winning more than 10 games.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson burned us the first time we played, but it was thanks to halftime adjustments and Favre kicking *** that we won the game.

The 2nd time, Al Harris hurt AP. Nuff said.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson burned us the first time we played, but it was thanks to halftime adjustments and Favre kicking *** that we won the game.

What were the halftime adjustments? I was at the game and I'll tell you, it was because Childress gave AP the ball 3 times in the second half. Peterson absolutely anhiliated the Pack in the first half at the dome but you are right on one thing: Favre kicked ***.

packerfan22

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it was AJ Hawk that hurt AP if I remember correctly but then again I could be wrong.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am just thankful that this first game is in Lambeau.. Rodgers first start.. a national audience tuning in to see if the kid and fill a portion of Brett's shoes... if it had been placed in the Metrodump.. well I could see issues with AP trying to rein in any doubt that he is the face of the NFCN..

Plenty to be jacked about for this game.. it shall be interesting indeed.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just thankful that this first game is in Lambeau.. Rodgers first start.. a national audience tuning in to see if the kid and fill a portion of Brett's shoes... if it had been placed in the Metrodump.. well I could see issues with AP trying to rein in any doubt that he is the face of the NFCN..

I foresee a poll - who is the face of the NFCN?

Is it Aaron Rodgers? AD? Brian Urlacher? Jon Kitna?

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:

I think it was AJ Hawk that hurt AP if I remember correctly but then again I could be wrong.

It was Al Harris.

But either way, what is up with the "Nuff said"? That is acting like injuring a player was part of the game plan. If anyone ever rejoices or celebrates a devastating injury to a player - regardless of the team - then that speaks a lot about the class level of that fan.

Wow. That is a pretty disappointing statement.

Pack93z

Reaction score
It was Al Harris.

But either way, what is up with the "Nuff said"? That is acting like injuring a player was part of the game plan. If anyone ever rejoices or celebrates a devastating injury to a player - regardless of the team - then that speaks a lot about the class level of that fan.

Wow. That is a pretty disappointing statement.

100% agree.. you never want a to see a player fall to injury.. regardless of whom the player is.. it takes away from the game to see a great player sidelined and one that is such a joy to watch play the game..

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

I foresee a poll - who is the face of the NFCN?

Is it Aaron Rodgers? AD? Brian Urlacher? Jon Kitna?

NFC North eh, depends on the perspective.

If it's about how bad the division is, I'd say Rex Grossman.

If it's the choking, big game losses and overconfidence, it's Jon Kitna.

If it's the youth exuberance, uprising or shear natural talent and potential Super Bowls, it's Adrian Peterson.

And if it's about overcoming adversity, living up to a dream and proving doubters, then I (hope to) see Aaron Rodgers filling that position.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Oh I also have an early prediction on this game so to speak.. I think it will be a showcase game for both of the QB's if they are healthy and ready to play.. I truly think this will be the year that TJ steps up an starts to play decent football and Rodgers shows in a pressure start that he can make the Packers roll.

Members online

Latest posts