Week 1, Packers @ Eagles, September 12th

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's never too early to look ahead to week 1.
I already am bothered by experts saying the Packers could start the season like 6-1 with their soft early schedule. The players hear that talk. I know they look at schedules. And they have to have the October th game vs the Vikings circled already.

The Eagles are a formidable team, even though there's no more McNabb, Westbrook, or Dawkins.

Here's some news that just came across, which doesn't help Philly. I think he would be almost like their Atari Bigby, who also is always hurt.

June 1, 2010 3:08 PM ET
Defensive back Marlin Jackson has managed to play in just 11-of-32 possible games over the last two seasons while tearing his ACL twice, so it was fairly surprising that the Eagles gave him a contract including $2 million in first-year pay at the start of free agency.

They may already regret it.

According to the on-site account of the Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeffrey McLane, Jackson needed to helped off the field during Tuesday's OTA practice. Jackson was "visibly upset," and "left the building crying."

The good news is that the Eagles announced the injury as being to Jackson's right ankle. He didn't re-tear an ACL.

The bad news is that this still appears to be a serious injury. The Eagles will provide a status update on Jackson later this week.

C

cvg_crazy

i can see a Packers 6-1 start, we were a good team last season and we will be even better this season. The Eagles will play well their first game but they're in a similiar situation as Green Bay was when we got rid of Favre, McNabb is gone and their rebuilding this season. i see them as going an 8-8 or 6-10 as we did with Rodgers.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The eagles don't have defensive issues like we had in 2008, But it's too early to tell what record they'll have at this time. I think it'll take them quite a while before they finally get their heads on srraight for another playoff appearance. Therefore a win against them seems more favorable imo.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no freaking way that, after last years' preseason and the subsequent 4-4 debacle, and after the early exit of the playoffs, with all the players saying that we started way too slowly, and that the refs helped the Cards because they had home field advantage, and that it was their fault that they weren't playing at Lambeau, the players let all the talk get into their heads.

I'm willing to bet that this team will play it's heart out when it matters next season (discounting preseason, when we're blowing out teams, etc...).

BTW, there're 2 stats that I really, really like, from last year:
- Every time our team had an int, we won the game.
- Every time our defense allowed less than 31 points, we won the game.

Specially the last one. Our D doesn't need to dominate. It just needs to stop teams from ****** us in the !@##, pardon my french. Our offense can't be stopped. It can only be contained. If we do the same with opposing offenses, we win.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The eagles don't have defensive issues like we had in 2008, But it's too early to tell what record they'll have at this time. I think it'll take them quite a while before they finally get their heads on srraight for another playoff appearance. Therefore a win against them seems more favorable imo.
Not like we did in 08, for sure. But they were #17 against the pass last year. Against teams like Dallas, they simply couldn't generate any pass rush without sending the whole team, and they got burned when they did that.

They dearly missed Jim Johnson, who was, IMHO, the best DC in the league (yes, ahead of LeBeau).

If you watched any of their games, you know they tried to confuse the other teams by consistantly showing blitz, with a S in the box almost all the time. It worked beautifully with Jim Johnson, but McDermott simply didn't have the feel to know when to blitz and when to back off, not like Jim did.

So that's why they needed a pass rusher. So they can play more normal sets, and still get the pressure they need, without overexposing them...

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Every time our defense allowed less than 31 points, we won the game.
Wow. Did you verify that stat? It's an amazing one.

The Eagles are going to be better on defense for 2 reasons.
#1- Brandon Graham
#2- Season 2 under their defensive coordinator

That said, I really think we'll open the season with a close win over the Eagles, a la 2007 when I watched that thriller from Cancun!
Gosh I wish I could do that again..... :ranting:

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Wow. Did you verify that stat? It's an amazing one.

The Eagles are going to be better on defense for 2 reasons.
#1- Brandon Graham

That said, I really think we'll open the season with a close win over the Eagles, a la 2007 when I watched that thriller from Cancun!
Gosh I wish I could do that again..... :ranting:

How bout Packers being better on defense for 2 reasons:

#1- Al Harris/Tramon Williams/BJ Raji/Bigby/Burnett/

Eagles will get blown out against the Pack. I usually don't say such statements because i know anything can happen, but Kolb wont be that good... Day 1... Day 2, maybe.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Bigby will make us any better. Burnett could. Not sure about his first game out the chute though, at that position.
Graham as a pass rush beast could have an immediate impact, but I like our OTs.

If Brother Al is back for us week one, I will be SHOCKED!!!!!

Why am I still an undrafted free agent?
Who can explain that, and these credits, and rep power, and all those colored bars to me?

What does it all mean?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing we have going in our favor in this particular game is it will be the first start (I think) of their young QB Kolb. He might be more settled in if we were to face them later in the season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Bigby will make us any better. Burnett could. Not sure about his first game out the chute though, at that position.
Graham as a pass rush beast could have an immediate impact, but I like our OTs.

If Brother Al is back for us week one, I will be SHOCKED!!!!!

Who can explain that, and these credits, and rep power, and all those colored bars to me?

What does it all mean?
Here it is: 2009 Green Bay Packers season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was actually 30 points the min when we lost, and 24 the max when we won...

Losses:
CIN: 31 points
MIN: 30 points
MIN: 38 points
TB: 38 points
PIT: 37 points
AZ: 51 points

Wins:
CHI: 15 points
STL: 17 points
DET: 0 points
CLE: 3 points
DAL: 7 points
SF: 24 points
DET: 12 points
RAV: 14 points
CHI: 14 points
SEA: 10 points
AZ: 7 points

But on the losses, only on the 1st MIN game our O scored less than 24 points (23).

-

The undrafted free agent title is given by the amount of posts and threads you have. It gets better the more you post (I'm a DC). You can change it freely if you're a VIP, though...

The rest I don't know...

PM Robdog, the ADM, he'll tell you precisely...

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Eagles will be a decent team this year and even though we will be playing at Philly, playing them in week one is to our advantage with it being Kevin Kolb's first start.

Honestly, I think we will just beat up on them.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing we have going in our favor in this particular game is it will be the first start (I think) of their young QB Kolb. He might be more settled in if we were to face them later in the season.
He started 2 games last season (both he threw for more than 300 yards).

But as a STARTER per se, yes it is...

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not worried about the eagles, we are better over all, and we are more seasoned and proven then they are (collectively)

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I remember Rodgers first starting game was versus the Vikings, and I bet a lot of people were skeptical of that, and those dumb 'Queens thought it was a gimme game. We do not usually win the gimme games except for Detroit. I do believe that the Packers have it in them to beat the Eagles. Let our experienced D give Kolb hell.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He started 2 games last season (both he threw for more than 300 yards).

But as a STARTER per se, yes it is...

I don't think Kolb proved anything in those two starts that he got. Sure he threw for 300 yards in each of them but one of them was a blowout loss against the Saints and the other against a mediocre Chiefs team. Let's see him make a start and win.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I don't think Kolb proved anything in those two starts that he got. Sure he threw for 300 yards in each of them but one of them was a blowout loss against the Saints and the other against a mediocre Chiefs team. Let's see him make a start and win.

Lets see him make a start and lose first though :happy0005:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to this game. I live in South Jersey where everyones an Eagles fan. Im going with another Packer fan and a bunch of Eagle fans so this is going to be something to look forward to.

As far as me diagnosing the Eagles weaknesses, its pretty easy. Offensively our game plan should be simple. I would allow Jennings or Driver to take advantage of Asante Samuels high risk/reward tendencies. Either receiver should go deep and use double moves to take advantage of Samuel. We also have to attack with Finely and this will be a key every week just because of the size and speed. They upgraded at safety so it may be slightly more difficult but the Eagles dont have much to fear at LB unless they plan on moving Brandon Graham there and even then hes not that fast or that savey in coverage to handle a TE like Finley. Setting up the run with the pass will also be a big key to the game. I dont see us being able to come out and run on that defensive line without somehow setting it up. Bunkley and Trent Cole are forces on the DL.

Defensively we have to hope that Brad Jones can force a pass rush. That will be key to every game. If teams can just chip away at Matthews all year we will be in trouble. We will also have to keep McCoy in check. Watching a lot of Eagles games over the years have helped me understand that the Eagles arent that talented as far as creating plays are concerned. A bubble screen here and a bubble screen there and a lot of speed all over. Our Safeties are really going to have to be on their toes to recognize where the screens are and when the Eagles want to take advantage of their faster receivers. The LB will have to watch for Brent Celek over the middle because he really broke out last year. But for the most part the Eagles offense revolves around the screens and its fast receivers making plays after the catch.

We will have to not kick towards Jackson on special teams. I dont care if we feel its an improved area or not. We cant kick to him on the punts and on the kicks we should squib it to him. And like everything else, every game it will be key to punt well and return well and like every team convert our field goals.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see him make a start and lose first though :happy0005:

Oh yeah absolutely, I didn't mean that Kolb should prove anything by going up against us. It'll definitely be a trial run for him but I don't expect him to do much. I'm just saying that Kolb should improve over the course of the season after losing to us.

Im going to this game. I live in South Jersey where everyones an Eagles fan. Im going with another Packer fan and a bunch of Eagle fans so this is going to be something to look forward to.

As far as me diagnosing the Eagles weaknesses, its pretty easy. Offensively our game plan should be simple. I would allow Jennings or Driver to take advantage of Asante Samuels high risk/reward tendencies. Either receiver should go deep and use double moves to take advantage of Samuel. We also have to attack with Finely and this will be a key every week just because of the size and speed. They upgraded at safety so it may be slightly more difficult but the Eagles dont have much to fear at LB unless they plan on moving Brandon Graham there and even then hes not that fast or that savey in coverage to handle a TE like Finley. Setting up the run with the pass will also be a big key to the game. I dont see us being able to come out and run on that defensive line without somehow setting it up. Bunkley and Trent Cole are forces on the DL.

Defensively we have to hope that Brad Jones can force a pass rush. That will be key to every game. If teams can just chip away at Matthews all year we will be in trouble. We will also have to keep McCoy in check. Watching a lot of Eagles games over the years have helped me understand that the Eagles arent that talented as far as creating plays are concerned. A bubble screen here and a bubble screen there and a lot of speed all over. Our Safeties are really going to have to be on their toes to recognize where the screens are and when the Eagles want to take advantage of their faster receivers. The LB will have to watch for Brent Celek over the middle because he really broke out last year. But for the most part the Eagles offense revolves around the screens and its fast receivers making plays after the catch.

We will have to not kick towards Jackson on special teams. I dont care if we feel its an improved area or not. We cant kick to him on the punts and on the kicks we should squib it to him. And like everything else, every game it will be key to punt well and return well and like every team convert our field goals.

Very solid points. Offensively I agree, there's really nothing scary about their back 7 (LBs and DBs). Their best LB right now is Ernie Sims and we demolished him year after year back when he was on the Lions. Stewart Bradley is coming off a season-ending injury so he won't be fully up to speed. Asante gambles a lot but is still their most dangerous asset. I won't really go into the rest of the secondary, Nate Allen is only a rookie so I don't expect much contribution from him right away. Their D-line on the other hand is no joke. In fact I think this is the perfect way to start off the season in terms of evaluating our O-line. We get to go up against solid pass rushers like Cole, Bunkley and Graham. It'll be a real test for Tauscher, Clifton and the rest of the guys for sure.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

What does it all mean?
For the small fee of 2 bucks a month, you can change Undrafted Free Agent to whatever you want.

Just saying.

Man I feel like Billy Mays. May he rest in peace.

Members online

Latest posts