Wednesday Practice

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2007/09/05/wednesday-post-practice-update.aspx

Wednesday post-practice update

Running backs Vernand Morency (knee) and Brandon Jackson (concussion) both practiced in pads for the second time this week, but they were listed as having "limited" practice time. Wide receiver Donald Driver (foot) also practiced in pads and was limited. The NFL has changed its injury report format so that teams don't have to list players as probable, questionable, doubtful or out until Friday (unless they're definitely out in which case they have to do it on Wednesday). All the teams have to do is list what players didn't practice or were limited.

Jackson, it would appear, is ready to start against Philadelphia, but coach Mike McCarthy wouldn't say for certain that he had been cleared and said he didn't want to reveal any specifics to the Eagles. The big mystery probably is Morency, who despite practicing still has to show that his knee is healthy enough to be able to last an entire game. McCarthy said he was interested in seeing Thursday how Morency's knee responded to another day of practice.

According to rookie DeShawn Wynn, he, Jackson and Morency split the repetitions at halfback. Newly acquired running back Ryan Grant was limited because of a hamstring injury. Also on the injury report were safety Aaron Rouse (hamstring), tackle Tony Moll (neck) and end Mike Montgomery (knee). Rouse and Moll were very limited in practice and probably won't play this week. Montgomery is out. As for post-practice, both McCarthy and quarterback Brett Favre had press conferences before the locker room opened.

During Favre's press conference, the thought occurred that with all the blitzing the Eagles do, what happens if rookie receiver James Jones isn't in the place he's supposed to be as happened twice in the Jacksonville game. How much can the Packers count on him? I asked Favre, "If you audible because you're anticipating a blitz Sunday and James Jones is your hot read, is he going to be there?" Favre was a little taken aback by the question, but he gave a pretty good answer, some of which I'll save for later. Here's part of it: "God, I hope so. I mean, c'mon. Am I not going to audible because he's . . . we're barking up the wrong tree if that's the (case). Will he make mistakes this week or the following weeks? If I was a betting man I'd say yeah. Will Brett make mistakes, if I was a betting man, I'd say yeah. Is he working hard? I'm not a coach or a GM, but I'm pleased with his effort. He's asked questions. He's done everything that we've asked him to do and that he's probably asking of himself. I've told him numerous times ... I said, "James, you made a lot of plays, great plays.' You keep seeing him make plays over and over. Mistakes are expected. I think he's made more plays than people give him credit for.'"

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are being very secretive with their injuries. Something tells me Driver will be listed as questionable and play and Morency maybe as probable but play a very small role. I just think he's going to release stuff to try and throw the Eagles off a little bit. I doubt it works but a lot of teams do so once in a while.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are being very secretive with their injuries.

They've done this since MM came to GB, and I love it.

Mo and BJack will play.

I say about 13 carries for Bjack, 8-10 for Mo, and the rest goes to backups.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope Driver is healthy. If he has a nagging injury all year, that hurts out O BIG time.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Packers are being very secretive with their injuries.

They've done this since MM came to GB, and I love it.

Mo and BJack will play.

I say about 13 carries for Bjack, 8-10 for Mo, and the rest goes to backups.

MO maybe hurt and not play. Who gets Mo's carries?

Reaction score
MO maybe hurt and not play. Who gets Mo's carries?

Packersnews.com Insider Blog:

Vernand Morency continues to look like he'll suit up for Sunday's opener against Philadelphia.

Morency, sidelined for a month by a strained right knee, participated in all drills during the hour of practice that was open to the media today. While those drills didn't involve contact, there was no indication Morency was limited.

Mo not playing is looking like a bridge we won't have to cross. Either way, I'm not sure why you'd ask Trom that question, (with all due respect to him) he isn't Mike McCarthy, and has about zero say in game planning.

If Mo can't go, McCarthy will give the carries to someone who deserves them, and someone who McCarthy thinks can do something with the carries he receives.

It'll then be up to Edgar and said RB to make sure that RB is ready for his work load.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Facts won't stop Dhpackr from ranting irrationally.

Good news to read though. makes my soul smile.

Reaction score
Grant has a hamstring injury? Is this something he had when they signed him, or is something that occurred in the few days since he's been here?

While I don't have a definitive answer for you Lare, I think it is worth pointing out that Giants coach Tom Coughlin is known for having strenuous practices.

The hamstring injury could very well have been something related to doing too much during Giants practices without being given adequate time to rest.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com

MM Press Conference:

I'll start off with the injury report. Mike Montgomery is listed as out. Donald Driver, limited participation. Ryan Grant, limited participation because of a hamstring. Brandon Jackson, limited participation because of a concussion. Tony Moll, neck, limited participation. Vernand Morency, limited participation with a knee. Aaron Rouse with his hamstring, limited participation.

(Looking at the season as a whole, do you view anything less than a playoff berth as a disappointment?)

I view every season that way. You want to get into the playoffs and win a world championship. I viewed every season that I've participated in this league that way.

(What have you seen from Brandon Jackson to make you comfortable with him as the starter?)

Talented young man, excellent lower body strength. He is explosive. I think he has natural running instincts. As far as how he's adapted to our offense, I think he continues to get better. I feel good about him on first and second down. He's getting better at third down and some of the specialty things that we're doing. I'm very comfortable with Brandon.

(What was Morency able to do in practice?)

He's limited. He went through pretty much everything. We'll see where he is at in the morning.

(Will the blitz pickup with the backs really be tested on Sunday?)

Jim Johnson, I have a lot of respect for. I think he's one of the better defensive coordinators in the league. I always like the way Jim calls a game. He's clearly one of the best at attacking your protection schemes, in my opinion. He does an excellent job of running two defenders through a gap and challenges your slide protection, adjustments and so forth. This will be a challenge for our protection. We have spent a lot of time on it. It's something that we spend a lot of time on regardless of who we're playing. This will be an excellent challenge for us and our guys will be ready to play.

(What are your plans for a third-down back without Herron?)

It will be one of the guys that we have. It could be Vernand. Vernand played there last year. He did an excellent job with his opportunities there last year. Brandon Jackson has shown some ability. DeShawn Wynn is a very distinctive football player. He has a good understanding of what we're doing. He probably picked it up as well as any of the younger guys that I've been around. Grant is a bright, young man also. We'll have somebody in there on third down. I can tell you that.

(What do you tell young players about blitz pickup to help them learn it?)

The most important thing about the blitz is the recognition of it, the pre-snap information that you're given. There are certain keys that you can help them with. Our quarterback is outstanding at sniffing out the blitz before it occurs. It's all a part of training. There are only four pressures in football. They're either coming off the edges, to the strong side, the weak side or in the middle. When you categorize those four and break them down, it cleans it up for your players. Everybody wants to talk about designer blitzes. Jim Johnson is an overload blitzer. He challenges your protection schemes so you have to have particular adjustments for that. But those are all base teachings in our offense.

(Where is Jackson now compared to the beginning of camp with blitz pickup?)

He's clearly further ahead than in the beginning of training camp. He'll continue to get better. This will be an excellent opportunity for him. The one thing I like about Brandon is that he continues to improve. That's important because I thought that was a key component to our success at the end of the year last year. It was a football team that continued to improve. I think we are better this year than we were last year. It doesn't mean anything as I stand here today because we can't prove that until Sunday. Brandon Jackson is a young, talented, improving football player.

(With all the injuries, is this team ready to get off to a fast start?)

Absolutely. We only have 11 out there at a time. That's the focus. Our guys are ready to play. I thought the meetings were very good. I thought we had two really good practices, on Sunday and Monday. They were off Tuesday to get them on a normal schedule. I thought the practice today was physical. I haven't viewed it yet but coming off the field I felt very good about it. There's a lot of energy in the building, a confident bunch. We'll continue our preparation throughout the week but we'll be ready to go.

(Do you have any doubts you'll be able to run the ball well enough?)

I have no doubts in our plan. We'll do whatever it takes based on any group. The only concern I have about our running back group, and I'll say it all year, is the health of our group. It's the responsibility of the coaches to put the player in a position to be successful. The healthy running back will have that opportunity. That's the way I view it.

(Do you have a feel for how many snaps Jackson can take?)

I really couldn't give you that today. We still have some health issues to work out through the week.

(Do you anticipate him being cleared?)

Based on the way he practiced today I'd be surprised if he is not cleared. I'm not trying to be super secret but this is Week 1 of our season. I'm not interested in talking about who our returners are. I'm not interested in talking about who the back will be in there. I'm not really interested in who will be the nickel. We can talk about that next week. We do have some uncertainty. Will that give us an opportunity to win the game? I don't know but let's make them prepare for all of our guys. I hope you can respect that.

(What have you learned from last year's game?)

I felt last year that we played a little too close to the vest. I don't know if that factored into the outcome of the game. The thing that was disappointed last year was the way we got behind and never responded to the adversity of that game. When you do get behind against that particular team, you're playing uphill. That's to their strength. You talk about those things. They've been addressed throughout the off-season. You hit the key components. In the off-season we put those in our practice structure and did them everyday. That's what this game comes down to. When you go through your opener, one in three snaps is unscouted looks. Everybody has had a year to prepare for this game. They're going to do some things differently that we haven't seen. We'll do some things differently that they haven't seen. It's the base of your foundation - offense, defense and special teams - that's what it's going to come down to. We have to play hard-nosed, good fundamental football and we'll be successful.

(What's the most important part about game-planning against McNabb?)

Donovan does a very good job when he's high in the pocket. He's developed into a very good drop-back passer. He looks to be comfortable when he's high in the pocket. They're 67 percent pass. They have been in the past and in the preseason. It's a big part of what they do, getting the ball to Westbrook and L.J. When he breaks it down is when he gets out of the pocket. If you go back to our game last year, I thought when the game changed in the middle of the third quarter, I thought he made some plays outside of the pocket with his feet. We got beat on some big plays down the field. I hope we don't see that happen this year. He's a difference maker when he's outside of the pocket. That will be key, keeping him from scrambling and making big plays.

(Do you think your team is stocked with young, talented players?)

This may be the anti-personnel answer but I don't think we're in the talent business personally. I told this to the football team today. We're in the people business, the character business. There's not a football player that would not be in our meeting room this morning that doesn't have enough talent to be a productive player in this league. I believe that from my experiences and I know that's true in my heart. To sit there and see who has more talent, what is talent? Is it the 40-yard dash? It's about character. It's about a team coming together, the continuity, the confidence, the ability to overcome adversity week in and week out, the toughness to beat the guy across from you play in and play out. I think it's a people business. It's a business of making the right choices all the time and being ready to play. Do I think we have enough talent to win them all? Absolutely, and I'm sure every coach thinks he has enough talent. I don't think this is a talent business. I think it's about people and the way they pull together and stay on the path that your particular team has to take to win each game. That's how I see it.

(With the schedule changes in training camp, do you feel the team is more fresh?)

All the feedback on the schedule has been positive. I had a meeting with the trainers and with the doctors. Their statistics are overwhelming as far as the hamstring, fatigue injuries that occur. We did a five year study and the numbers are almost two-to-one as far as the schedule vs. past schedules. I saw it in the team. What happens in pro football camps, there's a mental toughness to overcome the rigors of training camp. I'm of the opinion that you don't have to lose your legs to gain toughness. I'd rather have the football team out there competing everyday to get better. I think we accomplished that. I think it's clearly evident in the condition of our football team. Our conditioning, particularly the no-huddle situation and some of the things we did in the preseason, we felt very good about what we did on our side of the ball. I think our football team is in shape. I think it's a product of our schedule. I think it helps every time you have that padded practice it was go-busters. It was a two-hour, fifty-five minutes practice. We got a lot out of them. They knew they had that carrot in the middle of the week, Wednesdays, when they knew they weren't practicing. I didn't think we maxed out their hamstrings. We were real smart with the fatigue injuries. The statistics support that. More importantly they mentally believe it. They feel it and the feedback has been positive. I think it was a success. We have nine guys on IR so I don't know about that.

(Do the Eagles blitz with a lot of substitutions or the same 11?)

He's like most people. He's smart when he does it and he's aggressive. The thing that I always liked about Jim is that he's aggressive when he calls a game. When he wants to come after you he'll empty it out. I like that. I like a guy that gets up and pushes the envelope and challenges you. He also understands protection from my experience with him. You have different types of pressures the way I see it. You have concept pressures. You have run pressures. You have guys that are systematic at how they get after the quarterback. I think he does a really good job of, and I refer to it as a pocket protection scheme as opposed to a slot protection scheme, attacking the things that give those particular schemes problems and I think he does a good job.

(Can your tempo or no-huddle keep them on their heels?)

I don't think so. He has a veteran football team. They're well-coached and schooled. They do a good job with disguise. This is a very mature football team coming into here Sunday. No-huddle or whatever, not that we're going to it but thanks for bringing it up, is irrelevant. They're going to play their scheme. We're not dealing with at bunch of young guys.

(In the division, are the Bears still the team to beat, and have you closed that gap at all?)

I think they're clearly the team to beat. They're the defending champions. They represented the NFC in the Super Bowl. There's nothing better than beating the Bears, it's our archrival. They're clearly the team to beat. Closing the gap? We'll start to answer that Sunday. They have to play their games and we have to play ours.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy:
This may be the anti-personnel answer but I don't think we're in the talent business personally. I told this to the football team today. We're in the people business, the character business. There's not a football player that would not be in our meeting room this morning that doesn't have enough talent to be a productive player in this league. I believe that from my experiences and I know that's true in my heart. To sit there and see who has more talent, what is talent? Is it the 40-yard dash? It's about character. It's about a team coming together, the continuity, the confidence, the ability to overcome adversity week in and week out, the toughness to beat the guy across from you play in and play out. I think it's a people business. It's a business of making the right choices all the time and being ready to play. Do I think we have enough talent to win them all? Absolutely, and I'm sure every coach thinks he has enough talent. I don't think this is a talent business. I think it's about people and the way they pull together and stay on the path that your particular team has to take to win each game. That's how I see it.

I pledge my allegiance to Mike McCarthy. that is a great quote.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BRETT PRESS CONFERENCE/INJURY UPDATES

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=658053

Notes: Trusting in youngsters. Favre won't adjust game plan

There are no guarantees that rookie running back Brandon Jackson will be there to pick up the blitz or rookie receiver James Jones will be there when Brett Favre changes the play at the line of scrimmage. complete trust in both rookies when the Green Bay Packers take on the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday at Lambeau Field. But as he stood in front of a room full of reporters days before he was about to face the Eagles and their blitzing defense, Favre expressed optimism that the mistakes committed by the rookies would be minimal and refused to say he would play the game any differently.

"I have to play and make decisions based on what I do and not who I have out there," Favre said, after practice Wednesday. "If called upon, I'll pull the trigger." Favre was asked specifically about Jones, who, two weeks ago in the Jacksonville exhibition game, made two mental errors that cost the Packers a sack and a third-down completion. Jones also had a team-high six catches for 80 yards in that game, highlighting the dilemma the Packers face with him. When Favre was asked specifically about Jones and whether he would trust the receiver to be in the right place if he calls an audible, he expressed mild optimism. "God, I hope so," Favre said. "I mean, c'mon. Am I not going to audible because he's (inexperienced)? We're barking up the wrong tree if that's the (case)." Favre said Jones has been making strides in the offense and had made enough good plays to justify the risk of having him on the field in blitz situations. In all likelihood, the Packers will try to limit how often Jones is the "hot" receiver on blitzes, although that's pretty tough to do unless they keep him out of the play during his turns in the three-receiver sets.

Jones could take pressure off Donald Driver in those sets and might have to take some snaps in place of Driver, who is nursing a sore foot. Regardless of Jones' role, Favre said he couldn't afford to worry whether Jones will be in the right place at the right time. He will have the same trust in him that he has in the other receivers. "I don't want to second-guess my decision or say, 'That's probably my best throw there based on what they're doing but I'm a little leery on what he's doing,' " Favre said. "I'm not going to play that way. I can't play that way." Favre had to take a similar approach last season when he was playing behind two rookie offensive guards, and just as he trusted them, he'll have to trust Jackson to help keep him upright. Jackson looked unfit to serve as a blocking back early in camp, but has made some strides with his pass protection. Coach Mike McCarthy has not said who will be the third-down back yet, but that he was confident he could trust Jackson.

Another one bites the dust

Both Vernand Morency (knee) and Jackson (concussion) were somewhat limited in the amount of work they got Wednesday, but both were able to practice in full pads and take part in contact drills. Not so for newcomer Ryan Grant, who pulled a hamstring in practice Monday, and was limited in practice. The 6-foot-1, 224-pound Grant was acquired Saturday in a trade with the New York Giants and practiced with the team Sunday and Monday. It's unlikely the Packers will suit him up against the Eagles, given how little he knows about the offense and his limited practice time. Jackson, who split carries evenly with Morency and rookie DeShawn Wynn in practice, declared himself ready to go, and McCarthy said he would be surprised if the rookie wasn't ready. The news on Morency wasn't as definitive. Wednesday was his most complete practice since getting injured on the first day of training camp and McCarthy was unsure how his knee would react. "We'll see where he's at in the morning," McCarthy said. "That will be a key for him." Wynn said he thought his playing time would be minimal, based on Jackson's and Morency's status, but he said he was preparing himself for whatever amount of work he was given....

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why the hell do all the running backs on the roster worth a damn have injuries? Is that position cursed? As far as driver goes... I dont care if he plays or not( well i do ) but i dont want him to be rushed out and come out too soon before hes healed and injure it worse and be out for the season. So if he has to take another week off i would not have a problem with that given the alternative. However, these $(&%^# that get paid big bucks and sit out with hamstring injuries? Get the hell over it. Stretch better or something. Brett played with broken thumbs, cracked ribs, bad back all kinds of aches and pains. Get over your damn hamstring "injuries"

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why the hell do all the running backs on the roster worth a damn have injuries? Is that position cursed? As far as driver goes... I dont care if he plays or not( well i do ) but i dont want him to be rushed out and come out too soon before hes healed and injure it worse and be out for the season. So if he has to take another week off i would not have a problem with that given the alternative. However, these $(&%^# that get paid big bucks and sit out with hamstring injuries? Get the hell over it. Stretch better or something. Brett played with broken thumbs, cracked ribs, bad back all kinds of aches and pains. Get over your damn hamstring "injuries"

I seriously doubt that any of these guys are faking their hamstring injuries. It's one of the most common injuries in the league, and a lot of times it costs a player a starting job or a roster spot. I think that new running back from NY is the only Packer player with a hamstring injury, and that's not bad. Seems like usually there are more.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Watch Morency start lol

got your pm I'm here? yeah, let's watch pal!

What in the paper smiley face hell are you talking about?

The comment was made in jest, not an actual belief, but I know in six days you're going bash this place by saying

"the people on this board thought Morency was going to start and he didnt even play@!!!a hahahahah i eat strawberry cheerios yayahahahh"

When in fact, it was one person, saying it in jest.

Members online

Latest posts