Wednesday Packer update/Injury report 11-5-08

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Injury report; McCarthy speaks
We'll get the injury report and coach Mike McCarthy's Wednesday thoughts shortly.

* First, here's the injury report, per Packers media maven Jeff Blumb: LB Desmond Bishop (hamstring, full participation), LT Chad Clifton (knees, limited), QB Aaron Rodgers (right shoulder, limited), CB Charles Woodson (toe, limited).

Here's the noteworthy stuff from what McCarthy has to say:

* On preparing for Vikings: Began preparing with crowd noise today. "Road division games are definitely tough."

* On where are as a team: "We're 4-4. We're 4-4 for a reason. We haven't made plays at critical times of football games." Have been competitive in every game. Important to build off of positives. "I really like this team. I like the way they work. ... Effort is never an issue. ... It's the details. The last game, the last loss is a very good description of the things we need to do to win tight games. We need to win the close, tight games. We haven't done that this year."

* On Vikings offense with Gus Frerotte: Running ball well, more of a vertical aspect than seen in past. Conceptually doing some things the Packers do on offense. "I think they've advanced their scheme a little bit, and they're more productive ..."

* On balancing running game against good run defense: "You need to run the football, so when, where, how, that's why you game plan." How run ball is all based on matchups, different looks. "I don't run the ball just to get it off my sheet. We run the ball with a purpose. ... Every play called has a purpose, whether it's run or pass."

* On preparing Rodgers for road game, vs. Brett Favre: Will do as much, if not more crowd noise work. The Don Hutson Center "is a really good training ground" for playing in the Metrodome. "The mechanics and how we handle it, they'll all be pretty similar."

* On Rodgers' challenge this week after not best game vs. Tennessee: "There's a lot of positive things that Aaron Rodgers did in the Tennessee game," but didn't focus on that as much when speaking on Monday. Answering bell every week in November and December is the key. "I think he can play better than he's playing, (but) he's played pretty darn good. ... It's important for him to continue to grow."

* On keeping up five receivers for games: It's a challenge and comes down to special teams. Creating competition through week. Players identified on Tuesday so know who's batting whom. "These are the good problems you have."

* Had all defensive linemen up vs. Tennessee: Special-teams factored into that, too.

* Not important to using five-wide set. "I like Big 5," but a lot more than that goes into determining the 45-man roster.

* On Vikings RB Adrian Peterson: "I think he's a lot more confident. ... I think he's a better player, but also people have had some time to study him."

* On tight division race -- overstate importance of these? "They're all important. ... Division games are important from the time the schedule comes out."

* On Vikings DE Jared Allen: Expect him to play, preparing as if he will play.

* On discussion with TE Jermichael Finley about his comments: "It went well. ... It's over with. He made a mistake."

That's it for now.

Members online

Latest posts