We were delusional

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As fun as this run was, our flaws finally reared their ugly head in the NFC Championship game. Thinking we could win it all was silly, and comparing this team to 2010 was silly. Yes, Aaron was the driving force behind that Super Bowl winning team, but he didn't have to carry the team on his back. We had a REAL, LEGITIMATE defense full of playmakers. Clay in his prime, Woodson, Tramon, Nick Collins, BJ Rajii, just to name a few. They made big plays, held big offenses down, and made stops when they needed to.

While watching Sunday's game with an impartial friend (Giants fan), he just said, "At some point, somebody has just got to make a play, it's not supposed to be easy." Instead, there were guys running free all over the field and when players DID have chances to make plays, they just dropped the ball (literally and figuratively). And I couldn't agree more. This is the most hideous defense I've seen in the past six years (and that's saying something) and it really had no business being in the Super Bowl. Obviously there are numerous threads about how to fix the defense I just felt like venting my frustrations and feelings.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense really was that bad, but I thought that just maybe Rodgers is so GOAT that he'd sneak this team into the Super Bowl. The entire team just ran out of gas.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It didn't take an impartial giants fan to see that though. I said it repeatedly throughout the game. Lots of plays to be made on BOTH sides of the ball and we were right back to where we were earlier in the year when nobody could pick someone else up. Not on offense or defense.

Nobody was delusional in thinking we could go all the way. We knew it would take our offense playing like they should, and our defense would have to make 4-5 big plays.

But none of that happened. The offense laid an egg when it mattered and the defense had opportunities at at least 3 turnovers and failed on all of them. We needed to hit the QB and peppers and Matthews were no shows in that category.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I said on week 17, the team I do not want to see moving forward was Atlanta. Everybody thought I was crazy when I said we could beat the cowboys on the road. Atlanta is too good of an offense, and at that point I did not even realize how hot their defense got. Atlanta wins the NFC no matter what this year, and I will be shocked if Matty Ice does not win his first Super Bowl this year. I do not think that game came down to "something has got to give," rather than we got beat by the much better football team in a week we were under prepared. WR's not practicing, Rodgers sick, a crippled and fatigued defense that is just not good.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we were delusional. We all knew our offense would have to carry the team. Unrealistic to think that maybe but we did get to the Championship Game.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no doubt we had issues on defense...like always. *sigh* However, we had a chance had the defense been healthy. It was not just defense with health issues, O was dealing with their own. Adams with his ankle problem, g-mo being high, nelson's injury, Lane, etc.

To count them out isn't fair for the guys that played their hearts out to the Championship game.

Winning 8 games including winning two tough matches in the playoffs is something these guys should be proud of! Especially the run late in the season to be the divisional champs.

btw...i'm sure guys will use this season to put into their packers pump video for 2017 season. lol rightfully so. it was an amazing year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we were delusional. We all knew our offense would have to carry the team. Unrealistic to think that maybe but we did get to the Championship Game.
Every team is like that. The Falcons offense has to carry them too. They had a better pressure package than we did, but then they had a nice healthy lead the entire game because our offense shot itself in the foot. keep that game close and I bet it's different. It may also have been because both Bulaga and BahkT were obviously dinged against the Cowboys. maybe they were a tick slower this week. Regardless, their defense isn't holding anyone to a low scoring game either.

The Steelers need their RB to get 6 yards a carry and add a bunch more receiving even though they have a decent defense and some great pass catchers and a QB that will be in the hall some day. Every team has game scenerios where they will shine or look like crap. IF, big IF because our d was largely incapable all year, but if a team can consistently put some hits on Ryan, watch the mistakes come. He made them last week and the week before against Seattle, it's just neither defense took advantage and they weren't really pressuring him either.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about delusional. We all thought both teams would score over 40 points and it would come down to the last possession or turnovers. Unfortunately they got 2 turnovers, and we could have gotten 4 turnovers but didn't get any.

I said before this team wasn't as bad as the 4 game losing streak, but wasn't as good as the 8 game winning streak.

Thinking we could win it all was silly, and comparing this team to 2010 was silly.

Looking back on 2010, what an easy set of opponents in the NFC to face. Mike Vick, Mike Smith, and Jay Cutler, LOL.

Sky King

Reaction score
It's asking too much of any offense to play an almost perfect game in order for the team to have a chance to win the NFCCG, let alone the SB. This defense needs to be improved, period, and that requires talent as a required ingredient. TT and his staff must first scout and draft talented players. His coaching staff needs to develop them if they are still raw.

If he is in denial about the lack of talent found on this current version of the defense then maybe it's time for him to graciously consider riding into the sunset. And if it's the coaching staff that has failed to develop genuine talent then some of them may need to saddle-up, too.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense really was that bad, but I thought that just maybe Rodgers is so GOAT that he'd sneak this team into the Super Bowl. The entire team just ran out of gas.
You can only overcome so much. Nelson, Adams, Allison, Rollins, Burnett, Matthews, Lang, Randall, Janis... all started the game playing hurt or with nagging injuries. Then you lose Montgomery, Hyde, and later both starting guards. Rodgers with the flu throwing low. Crosby with the flu missing a FG. Eventually attrition wins out. That's not even counting guys on IR.

NO team can win with so much adversity. I don't care how good that team might be. Pick any past NFL champion and give them the hand we were dealt coming into this game. I would bet not a single one would have a great shot at winning the CCG against a nearly 100% healthy opponent.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can only overcome so much. Nelson, Adams, Allison, Rollins, Burnett, Matthews, Lang, Randall, Janis... all started the game playing hurt or with nagging injuries. Then you lose Montgomery, Hyde, and later both starting guards. Rodgers with the flu throwing low. Crosby with the flu missing a FG. Eventually attrition wins out. That's not even counting guys on IR.

NO team can win with so much adversity. I don't care how good that team might be. Pick any past NFL champion and give them the hand we were dealt coming into this game. I would bet not a single one would have a great shot at winning the CCG against a nearly 100% healthy opponent.

I don't buy the injury excuses. Every team has guys who are banged up this time of year. The Falcons had been getting healthier, but they were no exception. Julio, Babineuax, Neal, and Gabriel were all nicked up, and they, just like us, lost their best cover corner for the season in Desmond Trufant.

Sure, our hobbled exceeded their hobbled, but we won Super Bowl 45 under similar conditions, while also losing key players in that game.

Was it a big contributing factor? Of course. But the Atlanta Falcons won because the Atlanta Falcons were better than us, no excuses.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even before they were in Atlanta, I've long ago given up at thinking this team under TT and McMoron will ever reach the Super Bowl until they actually reach the Super Bowl.
It's been the same thing for a few years now and I expect it to continue until I'm proven wrong which I hope happens sooner than later.
Only one of two things will ever give me unconditional faith in this team again.
1) Big, and I mean real big, changes in personal.
2) They get a 1st round bye and all games are played in Lambeau.
If both of those happen, then it will really show that TT and/or MM were a cancer to this team.
If they somehow manage to make it with those two still in place then I will happily eat raw eggplant.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy the injury excuses. Every team has guys who are banged up this time of year. The Falcons had been getting healthier, but they were no exception. Julio, Babineuax, Neal, and Gabriel were all nicked up, and they, just like us, lost their best cover corner for the season in Desmond Trufant.

Sure, our hobbled exceeded their hobbled, but we won Super Bowl 45 under similar conditions, while also losing key players in that game.

Was it a big contributing factor? Of course. But the Atlanta Falcons won because the Atlanta Falcons were better than us, no excuses.
Yup.
They showed us, and the world, they wanted it more.
Don't be surprised if they dominate New England. I would love it if they made Cheating Brady their b***h.

OP
OP
Arod2gjdd

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In any case, there is no denying that the two best teams renain. NFL working as intended

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to take anything away from the Falcons, they kicked our *****. We sputtered and they stomped and kept stomping. But I don't think it was delusional to think we could have won. We could have. Needed some things to happen, but nobody could make a play, and then guys started dropping again.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Irritates me the questions that were asked Monday on whether or not this hurts Rodgers' legacy. Hell no. It enhances it. He dragged a sorry overall football team to the NFCCG.

The collection of pieces on this team had absolutely no business getting as far as they did.

But Rodgers is just that damn good. Cowherd has been really critical of Rodgers, but he couldn't have said it any better when he said that, out of the final 8 teams, the Packers have the worst overall talent on their roster. Nail on the head.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put Cowherds evaluative talents right down there with that Bayless guy and about 85% of the fans sitting on a bar stool. He knows nothing more than trying to create an emotional reaction and get people to listen. If he was talking on creating an audience, maybe I'd listen, but that's about as far as his expertise goes.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'd put Cowherds evaluative talents right down there with that Bayless guy and about 85% of the fans sitting on a bar stool. He knows nothing more than trying to create an emotional reaction and get people to listen. If he was talking on creating an audience, maybe I'd listen, but that's about as far as his expertise goes.
I agree, but he's still right about that particular comment.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd just hops on bandwagons. Skip simply hates Aaron because he beat the Cowboys in 2014.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing "delusional" about wanting to believe. What is delusional is thinking the Packers lost for any reason other than they got beat by the better team.

Back in 2010 I could not believe my eyes watching the Packers roll all the way to the Super Bowl. Then rolling the next season to 15-1. When you have the GOAT at QB there's no reason to not believe.

Suck it up guys. We ruined the Giants season and the Cowboys season and probably the Lions season too. The Falcons ruined the Seahawks season and they ruined our season. That's the way it works in the NFL.

Next year I'll be glued to the teevee watching my beloved Green Bay Packers, just like I have since 1959.

Sometimes you've just got to believe.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Take a look at our defense and offense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts