We should sign this guy, and it wouldn´t count against the cap

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting article about a guy who could really help the Packers:

Inside the Stanford weight room earlier this football season, there were weight vests and wooden sticks and core boards. There were kettle bells and roller pads and something called a Bod Pod, a white, egg-shaped contraption that measures body fat.

There were football players, too: pairs with legs bent, a towel held between them for balance; others climbing ropes like back in gym class; working on hip mobility and shoulder stability; the focus not on brute strength, even for a team as physical as Stanford.

And there was Shannon Turley, the architect of a training regimen among the most distinct in college sports. He is Stanford’s director of football sports performance, and for years, he felt it necessary to write letters to N.F.L. scouts to explain the Cardinal’s nontraditional approach. He stopped that practice this year in the wake of Stanford’s success.

Turley’s impact speaks as much to availability as ability. The coaches recruit speed and size and talent. He believes the best players, the ones most on the field, who sustain the most collisions, also carry the most injury risk. His first priority is to keep them on the field.

From 2006, the year before Turley arrived on the Farm, as Stanford’s campus is known, through last season, the number of games missed because of injury on the two-deep roster dropped by 87 percent. In 2012, only two Cardinal players required season-ending or postseason surgical repair; this year, only one.

Continued here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/s...men-redefines-strength.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I agree with ya, some new blood in the water might do some good.....but there are those that will think you are wrong because the hack that we have now has won "awards" for being just so darn good at what he does......... catch that sarcasm.........

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a great article and as someone in the profession I agree with a ton of what Turley does. I know there are some coaches where I am at that don't like or don't get what I am doing but I don't have injuries and I have good functional strength that translates directly to the field. I get all kinds of eye rolls when I start new athletes out with the body weight stuff as Turley mentioned he did but I believe in it and its awesome to see that he is doing it at such a high profile place.

I don't need to know what Lovat's program is to know that it is not working. The hamstring epidemic is a direct indication that something is fundamentally wrong with the off program. That award is bs fluff recognition that is given because of team success and in no way reflects any measurable amount of excellence.

There are hundreds of different programs and philosophies out there and I'm sure Lovat's is based on something that has had past success but it is time for a change.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since some NFL teams have been out there to look over this program, I have to wonder if the Packers were one of them.
We will probably never know.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Don't worry, MM will do a "thorough evaluation" of the strength and training program and nothing will change.

Sadly this. It's painful to experience this kind of denial when you have a glaringly obvious problem and nobody seems interested in making a change.

Members online

Latest posts